Game-Labs Forum

Should the pirate faction have a name change?

Should we have a name change for pirates to a proper nation?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the pirate nation name to that of a proper nation.

• Yes
    • No

Until they add systems for Diplomacy, Reputation and Prize Law you might just as well argue that every other faction is just pirates with a colorful flag. 

For example, by actual Prize Law of the day, capturing a ship, selling its cargo and keeping it for yourself, even if it's of an enemy nation, is an act of piracy and would get you hung. The way a letter of marque worked was completely different to what's happening in the game. All it did was authorize you to bring prizes back to a friendly harbor to be taken before a prize court that would determine your reward, who was owed a share, and even if you broke any laws and had to pay restitution to the ship's owner. You were also obligated to return the crew of any ship you captured to a convenient safe harbor for them. In this game none of that applies, so the nations in many ways act more like pirates in Naval Action than the pirates act like a nation.

Until they add systems for Diplomacy, Reputation and Prize Law you might just as well argue that every other faction is just pirates with a colorful flag.

For example, by actual Prize Law of the day, capturing a ship, selling its cargo and keeping it for yourself, even if it's of an enemy nation, is an act of piracy and would get you hung. The way a letter of marque worked was completely different to what's happening in the game. All it did was authorize you to bring prizes back to a friendly harbor to be taken before a prize court that would determine your reward, who was owed a share, and even if you broke any laws and had to pay restitution to the ship's owner. You were also obligated to return the crew of any ship you captured to a convenient safe harbor for them. In this game none of that applies, so the nations in many ways act more like pirates in Naval Action than the pirates act like a nation.

Hell just froze over , we acually agree on something.

Sort out the other parts of the games fundamentals first, diplomacy system, economic system, trading system, etc, and then figure out what role you want pirates to play in that, and how that will interact with those systems.

Doing it the other way around is an exercise in futility, and probably and exercise in frustration at endless changes as each part of the game develops for anyone playing on the pirate faction.

Treat them as a nation for now, figure out how you want them to interact with everyone else once the games more fleshed out.

Yes, and when you switch them to Portugal take away their ability to level up via damage farming when 'fighting' each other.

Do you seriously think we all just sit outside Mortimer Town putting shots into each other to farm gold?

Edited by Tindahbawx

Damage farming is to rank up quickly, not to make gold. And yes, I think it is done.

And I'm telling you it isnt done by anyone I know in the pirate faction, especially given how much gold and exp you get farming National NPC fleets, via co-ordination and allowing each other to get a kill assist on each ship in the instance.

As I said in another post.

If you wan't piracy to be more 'realistic', get rid of teleportation, all forms of instant messaging nation chat, global chat, PM's, emails, voice comms, giant cross swords announcing there's a battle and insta pop AI reinforcements - so that when a pirate does find a lone trader in open waters, he doesn't find a gank squad that's teleported in from 200 miles away waiting on him when he exits the battle.

All these people going on about historical accuracy need to look hard at the game mechanics. There is nothing historically accurate about your location being instantly broadcast to hundreds of players who can then instantly teleport close to you and be on your case within 10 minutes.

These mechanics exist because it's a game, not a 17th century naval simulator.

Well, no-one i know that plays pirate does it, nor do I, as a pirate myself.

Far more fun to shoot something that has a chance of killing you.

I do too and i think we are in same server so you may have seen me talking to pirates trying tk get them to come pvp and be a pain in butt like pirates did. If course nobody ever wants to. People are obsessed with pve missions in a pvp server. Shrug. I just play with my friemd and kill stuff and peeps.

If you wan't piracy to be more 'realistic', get rid of teleportation, all forms of instant messaging nation chat, global chat, PM's, emails, voice comms, giant cross swords announcing there's a battle and insta pop AI reinforcements - so that when a pirate does find a lone trader in open waters, he doesn't find a gank squad that's teleported in from 200 miles away waiting on him when he exits the battle.

Agree on the teleportation. You will never be able to stop people from messaging each other using third party software. The battle marker is fine, if a bit ugly. And AI reinforcements, yea, I kind of wish there was more emphasis on protecting AI than on AI protecting you.

• Like 1