Game-Labs Forum
surfimp

Do NPC traders affect the economy in ports?

I've done a good amount of searching but not answered my question yet: Do NPC traders actually affect the economy of the ports they spawn near, and trade between?

For example, let's say a port consumes X amount of a good per day. If it was possible to prevent any NPC traders from reaching said port, and no human player characters delivered any of said good, would the port's supply of the consumed good eventually reach zero?

Conversely, if the port produces Y amount of a good per day and all NPC traders were prevented from reaching the port to carry off the goods, would they build up over time (assuming no human player interaction)?

This is my general understanding of how the system works, but at the same time, I see that nearly as soon as I sink or capture a NPC trader, another one spawns to take its place. This makes me question whether or not I've actually "done" anything of note for the economy.

I understand that all of this - the economy, trade, crafting - is in very early alpha and this is not a criticism at all, it's purely a question about how the mechanics are working in-game as of right now.

Edited by Sanson Carrasco
  • Like 1

So does that mean that the goods consumed by the port automatically respawn as the port draws down against the amount in the port's warehouses? Or does it currently rely entirely on human traders to deliver said goods, as well as carry off goods produced?

Ive ask the same thing a few times. I believe it was a mod that says they do not effect the economy.

Sorta makes pirates less of a threat and no trade wars.

Trade wars consider essential in the game.

But there are problems to solve before implementing more things ( should) like windows ..

but they are required to include a commercial realism

This is a good question. I've noticed frequent French ships on the coast of Jamaca, seems that they are long way from home. Hope we receive an answer. But it begs more questions.

- Will the port use resources as indicated in the resources display? Or it it linked to player consumption?

- Are goods carried by traders only or do warships also carry goods?

It seems like the NPC spawns are, at least in current form, preset to some degree. Meaning they seem follow consistent routes which they sail until they are destroyed, after which they respawn (it seems almost immediately). The nationality of the ports they serve doesn't seem to influence what nationality the NPCs are (i.e. if a port is captured, the traders originating / visiting don't change nations), and they don't have the normal problem of not being able to "enter" an enemy port (although they may just be following a preset route with a programmed pause to simulate port visitation, as opposed to actually trading in the port).

Since it's currently impossible to tell which player characters are present in a port, and therefore might be buying & selling while you're watching prices & availability of goods, it's difficult to show for certain (by reviewing port stores in the "Shop" screen) whether or not the NPC traders directly influence goods availability and hence prices.

But the safest guess is that, for now, the NPCs are placeholder automatons following a preset route and offering both the impression of a live world as well as a primary source of XP, gold and trade goods for player characters to attack and rank up with.

According to my experience I'd say that the nationality of the port changes at least the spawns of the NPC fleets.

When Mariel and Bahia Honda were conquered by the US, there were some US trader hanging around between La Habana and Bahia Honda and a big English fleet roaming the zone. Now that the western upper side of Cuba has been retaken by the Spaniards, you can sail from La Habana until Manuta finding just Spanish IA fleets. While If you go towards Matanzas (which is still USA) you meet some USA IA fleets roaming within that City and La Habana.

Agreed. I've played a bunch now on PVE and PVP2 and on the USA east coast between Cabo Canaveral and Georgetown, there is a dense profusion of NPC fleets.

On PVE, the nationality of these fleets is a mix of USA, Spanish, and French, but on PVP2 they are mostly (though not exclusively) USA.

Which, since I'm not actually sailing for the USA, is a great thing :)

So does that mean that the goods consumed by the port automatically respawn as the port draws down against the amount in the port's warehouses? Or does it currently rely entirely on human traders to deliver said goods, as well as carry off goods produced?

Relies completely on human players. AI trade ships spawn with their cargo that is selected from the port they leave from but they do not reduce or chance the port amounts in any way.

• Like 1

Imagine the PvP if they did effect the game.

I agree, it would be awesome and give a real purpose to playing smaller, faster ships that could keep up with, as well as intercept them

The devs have said that the economy will slowly move to 100% player dependant, so players being able to hire NPC traders that actually sail on the OW is the next step.

Helps keep the economic flow going, gives potentialy valuable targets to the enemy that also negatively affect your economy.

Ive discussed this in a few topics and can copy paste the full idea here if you want, right now, cba.