Game-Labs Forum

>>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback <<< [UPDATE] Patch 0.85 31/7/2014

31/7/2014

The 6th patch brings AI and gameplay mechanics improvements that provide enhanced realism and challenge. Furthermore, we have refactored the rendering code that previously caused freezes and CTD.

19/7/2014

We finalise the weekly 5th patch with various polishes to AI and gameplay, some bug fixes and the first version of 3D animated menu.

17/7/2014
We provide an urgent hotfix patch 0.84 which includes some major targeting bug fixes that affected very negatively the AI, better Mac stability, more battle flow fixes and important polishes to the gameplay mechanics. Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-5thpatch

12/7/2014
Patch 0.83 is dedicated to major battle flow fixes. You will be able to play the battle of Gettysburg in all possible sequences, up to 6 phases, without the previous annoying premature battle ends. AI & Gameplay improvements are included as well. Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-4thpatch

5/7/2014
0.82 patch brings Mac support (Very soon it will be enabled) and focuses on major AI & Gameplay improvements that were needed according to user feedback. Of course there were many essential bug fixes that make the game much more stable and we have addressed the annoying save bugs that could prevent you to continue your battle campaign normally. Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-3rdpatch.

27/6/2014
Many things you have asked to improve or fix are now available in our newest patch. Important new features are the elevation map layer and the revamped, more realistic combat pace accompanied by an enhanced AI. Have a look at the patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-2ndpatch

18/6/2014
First patch is live now. It offers Group formations, AI & Gameplay improvements and many important bug fixes. You can read the full list of changes at this link: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-1stpatch

Enjoy!
Game-Labs

The game has a much better feel to when the units break and run .. game play is becoming polished. 

the Ai that i have played against has been more human like in approach and less cheesy about retreating behimd enemy lines

Suggestion

1. I would like to see Corp commanders with larger flags maybe a double flag for easier identification

2. when issuing run command i think the unit should revert back to walk once it comes to a stop

3. melee doesn't quite feel right     ex: had a 700 man force charge my 1400 man force and they each took 1;1 casualties

I appreciate the effort and quality of work that is going into this game very much.Thank you

• Like 1

Generally feels better than the last version in a bunch of ways. 

I had a weird bug where in some situations I would left click to deselect the current unit and it would issue a move order off the map to the SW, eg I'd see two "move" arrows appear pointing to that bottom left corner of the map. 

Close combat and related casualties feel better to me than before but maybe not totally right yet. I don't really know how to predict winners in that context. I also don't know what to make of other units firing into a melee; I assume there's friendly fire but can't really tell one way or another if I should send other brigades charging into a melee or keep them outside firing. 

I think part of what's causing me the most trouble with artillery, still, is that if you give them an attack order and that unit moves out of range, the artillery will move to stay in firing range. This happens constantly and means my artillery get dragged out of position. My preference would be just to remove artillery's "try to get in range if not in range" behavior UNLESS it's an explicit click to attack; that should trigger one move into range operation but once it's in range it should stay in place and not move further unless explicitly moved or ordered to attack an out of range unit. It might even be fine to drop the move in range if out of range even on an explicit attack command. It might be somewhat annoying for new players that artillery might turn towards an attack target but not move into range, but I think as long as it didn't refuse to fire on other units in range if its desired target can't be hit, I think it would be basically fine.

The distinction of artillery targeting a target from its present location vs. artillery moving really needs to be represented differently.

Trying to use the move arrow to represent both artillery fire and artillery movement is confusing. This results in suicidal attacks with artillery which is not the intent of the player. It is also not the way artillery behaved in the ACW.

• Like 2

It's getting better and better.

(Though it's still very fustrating, that my units aren't in the same locations, when I enter next phase)

I've made my points earlier so no need to keep on repeating them...

One thing which seems to start annoying me is, the if I - by mistake - double click on a general all the units move.

I know, that this is one of the new features, but where's the button or method to cancel, when you find out, that evey unit is scelected?

As of now it seems that I have to move / click them a Little to 'cancel', and this disrupts the battleformations.

---------

By the way Darth:

Is it possible, that you could start a thread listing testers requests?

This way we could stop repeating subjects/whishes, and perhaps you could make small comments stating, if you're team will put them on a 'to-do' list or if it is not possible / or your decision not to implement.

• Like 1

One thing which seems to start annoying me is, the if I - by mistake - double click on a general all the units move.

I know, that this is one of the new features, but where's the button or method to cancel, when you find out, that evey unit is scelected?

As of now it seems that I have to move / click them a Little to 'cancel', and this disrupts the battleformations.

Agreed here.  Hurts you a ton especially when defending and you have units placed in hold.  You try and quickly move your general and all the units come off their spots

Getting game freezes on mac. Happened twice on day 3 playing union. Have to option+command+esc to get out and have to restart the whole battle. I haven't been able to make it past day 3 yet. I was able to download and play the mac test version and I didn't encounter any technical problems. Im on osx 10.9.3. Not really sure what other info i could give about it the game just locks up. Cheers and nice job so far on everything

I've had that same freeze bug on PC. Day 3, Union. I think it was the variant where Union held the north-most ridge but lost Seminary Ridge, something like "union line breaks in two places!" Bug happened after saving partway through; loading that save would invariably lead to a crash a few minutes afterwards. I haven't started a new battle since then, so I probably have the save file somewhere if it's helpful.

Well, I picked the game on weekend and played through the battle on both sides.

A couple of things that I noticed:
- game freezing, when a unit is ordered to attack a unit that comes in as reinforcements - just coming on the map, without the "flag" visible yet. Not always, but happened to me on few occasions, and it was repeatable; e. g. ordering Custer's cavalry to charge on appearing Stuart's cavalry in one of the Phase 3 scenarios - issuing this order froze the game every time. Confederate cavalry was just coming to map, I was able to double click on them (red highlight), but the flag of the unit did not yet appear.
- deselction bug, as drewww already mentioned. Sometimes when I left click on the terrain to deselect a unit, an attack order was issued instead, pointing to some routing enemy unit near the edge of the map. This happens quite often unfortunately, I managed to record a few instances with Fraps, I can upload them if needed.

Some more feedback:
- units still sometimes rout in wrong directions, looks like they go to fixed edge of the map (the place they entered the battle, or some reinforcements corridor?), especially visible with artillery routed from the battlefield, that tries to go through infantry lines blocking their retreat path.
- double click selecting, as mentioned already, sometimes it throws you of balance, especially if you didn't notice that you have more units selected, which can happen in later stages of the battle with many units in one place. So far the best method for me was to pause the game and immediately issue a halt order, then deselect units, and select commander again. But an option to cancel issued orders would be nice (for example right click during drawing lines would cancel them). Or maybe increase the interval between the clicks?
- it's sometimes hard to find commanders. Option 3, from appropriate thread (cycle through generals button) would be most welcome.
- melee charges, I have to play more to see how it plays, but I noticed that sometimes unit will charge and pursue enemy brigade quite a long distance, which leads to chaotic situations, if there are other brigades nearby - basically your unit will find itself in the middle of enemy mass.

Other than that  - great work, I was initially put off but what I perceived too fast (arcady) pace, but it is not the case any more with recent patches.

So I think by now I have completed several full battles for both sides.   I play against dynamic or determined opponents, but I have always been able to win using better tactics and utilizing high ground and flanking maneuvers.  This most recent patch has made playing the Confederacy, IMO, quite difficult.  I started a new battle and right of the bat it seemed that the Union skirmishers inflict high casualties and the videttes are marauding cannon killers that keep the initial artillery totally absorbed. The first day has become tactically almost impossible for the Confederates to win from what used to be something I could at least make a push for Seminary Ridge and/or Oak Ridge.  Now, the casualties to get there are so horrendous, I just can't do it. 

Is this just me, or has it become too tough, at least for the Confederates.

Other observations:  Resuming a battle after exiting wipes the dead bodies strewn across the battlefield.

• Like 1

So I think by now I have completed several full battles for both sides.   I play against dynamic or determined opponents, but I have always been able to win using better tactics and utilizing high ground and flanking maneuvers.  This most recent patch has made playing the Confederacy, IMO, quite difficult.  I started a new battle and right of the bat it seemed that the Union skirmishers inflict high casualties and the videttes are marauding cannon killers that keep the initial artillery totally absorbed. The first day has become tactically almost impossible for the Confederates to win from what used to be something I could at least make a push for Seminary Ridge and/or Oak Ridge.  Now, the casualties to get there are so horrendous, I just can't do it. 

Is this just me, or has it become too tough, at least for the Confederates.

Other observations:  Resuming a battle after exiting wipes the dead bodies strewn across the battlefield.

I agree. You almost have to park your Brigades on a hill and pound the Union with your cannons. Try and take half the VP's without taking too much damage. Wait for the next battle and reinforcements from the north. It is much harder. Would be much easier if we could detach a regiment or two from your Brigades to hold off the Skirmishers while you mass your troops against the VP's. The way it is though, if you march against Seminary Ridge with your 4 Brigades you will rout without a doubt on Determined difficulty. Union just have too many units and too many cannons to launch a real attack. Can't tell you how many times I have had Archer Brigade rout from the entire battle cause he gets surrounded by skirmishers while defending my cannons, while my other 3 Brigades try and take Seminary.

Tomakaze,

The game requires more patience and planning to allow the battle to develop. The CSA can't simply "charge" their way to success anymore. There is more of a sense of timing how long the CSA needs to sit on the defensive and gather forces for a smashing offensive.

Players need to plan attacks much more carefully now. Baiting a couple of the skirmisher/videttes into uneven fights early is important. Once you rout a couple of these skirmish units with baiting tactics plus artillery then it is still possible to get Epic Victories in Phase 1. But the tactics required now are very different.

The 1st Division of I Corps behaves aggressively advancing to the south of Heth's Ridge. The combination of favorable terrain, artillery, and CSA morale seemed capable of shattering these attacks and the counter-stroke can eliminate these key Union brigades in Phase 1 or 2.

• Like 2

N.C. Rebel,

Phase 1 in UGG is a significant deviation from Gettysburg and ACW history.

Buford's ruse and Heth's orders resulted in a significant delay that allowed I Corps to stop, "the Rebs in their tracks".

Buford's cavalry put up enough of a smokescreen that Heth had no idea how many and what kind of troops he was facing. Buford only lost 100 men Gettysburg.

The cavalry and skirmishers in UGG have nothing to do with "realistic". Buford's command structure is not correct. The capabilities of the cavalry and skirmishers are not correct. Artillery is too slow.

All of this is fine for a balanced and very fun game - but not realistic in terms of ACW.

When new troops / arty arrive I am asked a question - like should we deploy at seminary or culps (or whatever it asks).

Why not make it an actual decision that I can answer with a click vs. it just being a comment. I do actually want to make that decision.

The game plays well but I still find that the pace is still too fast compared to what could be realistically possible.

Units can wall all over the battle field in minutes, take fire, and then  rest for 30 minutes and be back to combat relatively refreshed. I think penalties to moral and preparedness should take longer to recover from.  Maybe make it an option at start?

• Like 1

New patch available!

12/7/2014

Patch 0.83 is dedicated to major battle flow fixes. You will be able to play the battle of Gettysburg in all possible sequences, up to 6 phases, without the previous annoying premature battle ends. AI & Gameplay improvements are included as well. Patch notes: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-4thpatch
  • Like 1