Game-Labs Forum

Castillo San Felipe del Morro (big fort)

BramtheDutch

El Morro

Well since the devs have posted a picture of them working on the El Morro model I think it is time to go and have a historical discussion about it.

So to start a quick overview of it and some pictures, after that lets discuss this beautifull fort.

Castillo San Felipe del Morro

Castillo San Felipe del Morro also known as Fort San Felipe del Morro or Morro Castle, is a 16th-century citadel located in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Lying on the northwestern-most point of the islet of Old San Juan, Castillo San Felipe del Morro is named in honor of King Philip II of Spain. The fortification, also referred to as el Morro or 'the promontory,' was designed to guard the entrance to the San Juan Bay, and defend the Spanish colonial port city of San Juan from seaborne enemies.

In 1983, the citadel was declared a World Heritage Site by the United Nations in conjunction with the San Juan National Historic Site. Over two million visitors a year explore the castillo, making it one of Puerto Rico's leading tourist attractions. Facing the structure, on the opposite side of the bay, a smaller fortification known as El Cañuelo complemented the castillo's defense of the entrance to the bay.

Wikipedia link: here

Pictures and WiP model from the devs:

El-Morro-Puerto-Rico2.jpg

El_Morro_Castle,_San_Juan,_Puerto_Rico.j

Home1.jpg

And the WiP model:

2Swtq1e.jpg

(Note: Lets discuss the fort and its history here, so please no mechanics that you think have to go or other offtopic stuff, just the fort its location, history etc.)

Edited by bramluijken
  • Like 1

Anybody who hasn't taken a look at San Juan harbor in Google Maps/Earth, do so. There are sections of wall running along both sides of the peninsula from El Morro at the tip to Castillo de San Cristobal (the other big fort) facing inland. Then there's another tower out on an island in the middle of the entrance to the harbor, if I remember correctly. I wrote a short essay on the Defenses of San Juan a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure one of my sources said that at its peak, El Morro and the other defenses held over 400 guns. 

• Like 1

Anybody who hasn't taken a look at San Juan harbor in Google Maps/Earth, do so. There are sections of wall running along both sides of the peninsula from El Morro at the tip to Castillo de San Cristobal (the other big fort) facing inland. Then there's another tower out on an island in the middle of the entrance to the harbor, if I remember correctly. I wrote a short essay on the Defenses of San Juan a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure one of my sources said that at its peak, El Morro and the other defenses held over 400 guns. 

Didn't take a look at ityet but I will certainly do it, Damn 400 guns thats alot.  :o