Game-Labs Forum

Underdog Factions

First, I just want to clarify that I don't want balance.  I like to play the underdog factions - "to do things because they are hard, not because they are easy."

That said, here are some suggestions that I think would help the PvP game - which at the present tends to reward the Zerg herd rather than skill or strategy:

1. The price of conquest flags should be based on the distance of a port from the starting faction capital.
  2. The number of ports a clan should be able to capture within a 24h period should be limited.
  3. The availability of reinforcements should not just be based on the proximity of a national port, but also on the proximity of a national AI fleet and the proximity to an allied port.  So, if a fight starts next to a national convoy - then than same nation player should have the chance to call upon the convoy for support.  If a fight starts next to the port of a nation, a given clan member has an alliance with, then that player should be able to call in some reinforcements.
  4. Implement a diplomatic system where a clan leader can:
    • Dispose of a diplomacy screen where they can see the names and national affiliation of other clans
    • Chat with other clan leaders
    • Set enemy / friendly tags against the other clans
    • Set OW color codes for Friends/Foes
    • Agree on an alliance chat channel (ie: a chat channel much like the clan channel, where members of clans in the alliance can chat together to coordinate actions)
    • Draw / write on the map - in order to better communicate orders / sightings / targets between the clan members
    • Reset their clan's home port instead of the capital.

5. A clan member's map should be updated with the list of clan/alliance pvp engagements.  Often players/leave join and are not up to date on current actions - and miss out as a result. 
  6. Institute a bonus (gold/exp) multiplier kicker/reward for nations that have low populations.
  7. Institute a clan fund mechanism where members can kick-up funds to a global pool to then serve in the deployment of low tier ships and production facilities.
  8. Limit the number of low tier ships that can be deployed in battle based on the overall clan's funds and/or the number of online clan players - example:
    • This could be done in the following: each 4th rate that joins a battle costs W, 3rd rate that joins a battle costs X, each 2nd rate that joins a battle costs Y, each 1st rate that joins a battle costs Z from the clan's pool). 
    • This could also be done by having a proportional limit such as no more that 5% can field a 1st rate, no more than 10% can field a second rate, etc....
  • Like 1

1. Agreed

2. Super easily overriden by keeping fake clans or non-clan members.

3. Meh. All AI is meh.

4. Sounds good.

5. Sounds good.

6. Hell no. Cue nation jumping is one, two is - I want to have the intended experience, no matter if I choose a big or small nation.

7. Still rich gets richer mechanic.

8. Math - the game, also You Cannot Play With Friends . Such balance needs to be introduced by mechanics, not forced by math.

2. Perhaps - it would take some work and goes against the general structure the devs are aiming for.

3. The AI support is certainly variable - but playing French on PvP2, I certainly can vouch that it can be of great use if the attackers use the AI well (as a meat shield and to force the opponent to engage and weaken the AI.

6.  I am not saying that the low population factions that have 1/20th the size of the Zerg (as seems to be the case) gets a 20x kicker - but there should be a proportional incentive to be the underdog - otherwise, you see (as is taking place) people switching to the Zerg; moving to the PvE server; or just giving up the game (a shame it this stage and given its potential).  Let's face it - its easier to complete missions if there are more of you around = thus a leveling advantage the bigger the Zerg gets.  Same effect for completing trading runs: the small the number of opponents proportionally to yours = the less chance you get interrupted.

8. Perhaps another way of addressing the concern, could be to increase the number of shallow ports (or areas) - to avoid the Zerg effect compound with the quantity of high level players. 

I will have to take a look into this, but there has to be a method to encourage people to play the smaller nations., to make them not so small.  For one I have been hearing several clans joining the US, and I am thinking.. if they all stayed where they were, they'd been a greater force to be reckoned with!

France on PvP2 has barely 20 active players in port defense and offense.  We have lost almost all of our ports because we are faced with overwhelming numbers of pirates (about 4-5x our active base).  The game does not allow skill to compensate for Zergs.

Edited by TaranisPrime

I wouldn't agree that the game does not allow skill to compensate for 'zergs', but if you're that outnumbered then I suppose even sloppy players could be useful as meat shield if nothing else. Personally I'm happy to see those people go by the wayside and join the enemy, hopefully taking up space in their port-battles and being a nuisance on comms, but I see your point.

I think there needs to be a way for smaller nations to be more easily "fortified" when they get smaller but if they get bigger it becomes harder to "maintain".  So even bigger player base for the US, resources yeah can be become more scarce due to competition, costs for port fortifications go up (range from the capital) so it cost/harder to fortify the edges of one's control.  Amongst other things as initial ideas.

• Like 1