Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Verbal

Teak Ships Pointless?

Hi there,

I know the information is still sketchy but I have two identical Brigs, one Oak, one Teak, both have purple Speed bonus. The only difference is that the Oak has slightly more hp than the Teak, turn rate is the same as well as Max Speed.

Is there anything not immediately obvious that would lead someone to choose a Teak built ship over a regular Oak?

Cheers,

Verbal

If you are low on Fir and Oak you can build Teak ships to level crafting, and break them up...

Personally I only use Oak or Live Oak ships for combat.

That sounds broken. As the Orc says, Teak however is great for making throwaway ships because teak isn't used by non-teak ships.

Oak may have more hp but I've found oak gets destroyed compared to my teak ships. maybe it's because teak ships turn faster and I'm able to avoid/bounce more shots that way but in my experience using the same ship made out of the two, the teak performs far better. I've been seriously wondering if the teak and oak armor ratings were bugged and switched for awhile now.

No, Oak just has modifiers you can see on the stat page.

Teak modifiers have not been confirmed. There are most likely 4 possibilities.

1- Teak has no modifiers in which case Oak is straight up better

2- Teak has a better armor class (more ricochets, less penetration) 

3- Teak has better frame ( less leaks)

4- Teak has modifiers but they are not working

• Like 1

If teak has no advantages, then that is absolutely fine.

Much of my own shipbuilding is in teak, because, hello, oak is goddamn expensive and hard to come by.

• Like 2

If they make Ship maintenance costs a thing then perhaps Teak will shine as being more rot resistant. I agree with Maturin that certain woods shouldn't automatically have advantages/disadvantages over others like some sort of RPG. I can see how this would also lead to some woods being rarely used, which on the other hand could make then cheaper to make, and therefore have an advantage all their own.

Just like Maturin, I use teak because it is cheaper and in larger supply.  If you are selling to npcs, teak is the way to go.

I can't confirm this, but from extensive observation I think that teak seems to have no obvious disadvantage or advantage - fir being weaker but faster, oak being stronger but slower, and live oak being even stronger yet slower still. But, that is purely anecdotal.

From what I've observed Teak has no modifiers (at least none that are working). It is the generic wood. I notice NPC-shipbuilding relies on Teak (and occasionally fir) as the standard. Think about any generic item in any game, it has no special modifiers.

To my mind that means Oak is better than Teak everytime. You get more Hit Points but lose nothing. At Live Oak, you perhaps start to lose speed/maneuverability but get close to max HP. At the other end of the spectrum, with Fir, you get the least HP but a speed bonus.

Please note that this is based on my impressions in-game and not stats or performance trials or anything as concrete as that.

I don't necessarily view this as a negative situation. As a crafter I like that simply by going Oak/Live Oak in shipbuilding, I have an advantage over what the NPC vendors are selling. Players are willing to spend more for what they perceive to be the better wood type. I swear if I build Live Oak anything and my price is reasonable, and its selling at a hotspot port, it sells. Trading ships maybe being the exception on this wood type rule, because for those you want speed.

Edited by Jon Allen

Why would anyone buy a trading ship when those can be captured "legit" thanks to contraband thing?

I've gotten several Fine Trader Snows with blue and gold speed bonus and I only ever paid the iron price.

I can't confirm this, but from extensive observation I think that teak seems to have no obvious disadvantage or advantage - fir being weaker but faster, oak being stronger but slower, and live oak being even stronger yet slower still. But, that is purely anecdotal.

Oak isn't slower. Oak is as fast as teak, while providing more armor.

I made a teak with rigging quality surprise at exceptional quality. Its speed is 12.68, turning is 3.18 and its broad side armor is 2462

I made a Live oak exceptional surprise with rigging quality. Its speed is 12.88, turning is 3.20 and its broad side armor is over 2600

Teak literally servers no purpose.

Oak doesn't provide more armor, it gives a bonus vs leaks.  Live Oak gives +1 armor class, gives a bonus vs leaks, has a penalty to speed, and gives no bonus to HP.

Teak literally does serve a purpose, just because it doesn't fit yours, doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose.  Zoe, you only list one built in upgrade, most ships have 2.  The only way a Teak Surprise is slower than a Live Oak one is speed modifiers from modules or built ins.

Clarity from the devs giving hard numbers on these wood types would help a lot at this point.

To me there is to much hidden stats behind these ships, eg. Privateer getting boarding bonuses.  

I love the ambiguity of the damage in battle, but we need to understand the ships better in this game.  As it seems as though everyone has a different opinion on what things do.