Game-Labs Forum

Spanish issues.

admin

I think the underpop / timezone situation is a broad issue.

Naturally larger territories will be harder to hold on to, and would require more people to defend, so that makes sense. Unfortunately on the scale of the map I don't think there are enough players to adequately defend areas that may take 30 minutes to 3 hours to sail to (not accounting for teleporting to outposts, but which then require sailing Back from or not playing while you wait for the teleport to refresh).

Timezone population differences make this worse because not only may it be difficult to reach farther ports to defend, there may simply not enough players to defend it. Adding to the fact that the significantly under populated nations may feel no other option in an unwinnable situation than to stop playing, which is not good for the game. If it is feasible, merging the servers (PvP&PvP) may be the best solution. Many people who play on PvP One may be in the US timezone because it was, and to an extent still is, The server for PvP. Players who want to PvP will likely go where the players are.

Any suggestions on how to fix this needs to take into account what the long term state of the open world and Nation vs Nation is. In POTBS when a nation had enough points they "Won", got a reward, and all the ports reset ownership. In EVE, player organizations rise and fall, gain and lose all their territory, but players can just change corp's or alliances. 

This game is stuck in between, where (as far as I know) there is no mass reset of ports if a side "wins". You can't enter ports owned by other nations like POTBS had (which allowed trade and operation of production buildings, but often with an imposed high tax by the owning nation; and you can't easily change sides like in EVE. This will have to be addressed in some way.

As far as port battles are concerned, there must be a better way than waiting around to see IF a port is going to be attacked. The games scale and mechanics don't mix well with dropping what you're doing to go defend a port on a moments notice that may take an hour to get to while the enemy was ready and likely started already.

Both EVE and POTBS had scheduled battles. You could put ports or stations into contention, and both sides would know when there would have to be a fight for it. I think this game will need something like that as well, with perhaps a limit on the number of active attacks. (If I recall in POTBS a nation could have 2 attacks active at any given time?)

Finally in regards to underpop bonuses, it goes back to whats the big picture to conquest in this game. Underpop nations by % of server pop perhaps could get bonuses to gold rewards (think lower cost of upkeep due to smaller territory, can afford larger bounties), more production building slots, some kind of admiralty compensation in some form, etc.

This game has great potential and this is what early access is for. Hopefully we can find good solutions to these issues.

Limiting numbers per nation is not an option.

Keep all ports open at all times by default, have the Conquest Flags price be dynamic - keep the 600k base price plus XXX gold to open different BR levels ( 2000 BR Fleet, 3000 BR Fleet, etc. ) Defender must match the attacking BR plus the port defenses bonus.

For the Defender establish the Allied Force flag with a price tag, where allied nations can join the battle but never number more than the total number of ships of the Defending nation in battle. For example if Spain brings 8, an ally can bring 8. If they only bring 5, ally can only bring 5. Technically this doubles their population when it comes to port battles without interfering directly with the normal conduct of nation business.

Obviously this mechanic works with all nations.

Coming late Spring we will have new ports layouts to test so that might be covered with the extremely strong defenses.

Hello everybody.

The problem that have spain isn't the quanty of spanish players. I think the problem is about "port timers" and less about "time zone" . They are in their right of assault our ports (that havent port timer) at 3AM - 5AM ( when the majority of spanish are sleeping ) and now comes the problem , Who ,in hell or heaven, is going to wake up at 4AM-6AM to win back those ports? I remind you that this is a game.

I wake up at 6AM to go work but I'm not going to wake up at 4-5 AM to play a game.

We can't do anything against this situation.

We are losing our ports and We fell powerless becouse We can't take it back to us.

Please discuss the provided suggestions and realistic, non-Nationalistic new ideas. This is not the correct thread to be demanding the US Players be kicked from the server.  There are other threads for that.  This is also not the place to discuss in game actions of specific factions - there is a Nations forum for that (Forum PvP is not allowed outside of the Nations forum).

Off Topic posts will be summarily deleted.  Players repeatedly submitting off topic posts to this thread will be Warned and potentially lose their ability to post without prior review.

Thank you.

If AI was already damaged, it's replaced by a fresh ship. It's broken.

I'm not sure if there is a language issue here or not. However you are not looking to actual effects of actions.

15 ships damaged ships + 1 undamaged ship joining (as currently the case) is > 15 damaged ships, and one REPLACED by 1 undamaged ship. It becomes 14 damaged ships + 1 undamaged. (That is my proposal.)

If you cannot see that, I cannot think of another way to explain it, and would welcome anyone else to attempt to.

No. Players with different langages can play in the same Nation. They currently do. Right now !  :)

Playing and communicating are different things. Yes I can play with someone who does not understand me, but if I want them to target sails with chain vs the hall with ball then how would I communicate that.

• Alliances system allowing port entry for allies and their participation in port battles.

International alliances and diplo systems would be awesome not only for spanish but for everybody. They need to have a meaning in game too.

Limitations on flag purchases to slow down expansions for large nations (harder to address)

One port battle per day would be nice and would also be more historically friendly.

Spanish language advertising to bring more spanish players into the game - your help is needed here too

This is allready being done. Most players playing this game have allready told their friens. If there is any other way we can help regarding this issue, just tell us.

Hard limits on the number of players in nation (a-la other mmo games). 

Everybody should pick the nation they prefer IMO

Underpopulated nation bonuses.

Some Extra strong Forts in some places would help and they would be historically accurate also.

All this ideas would help, but they dont solve the problem. So far, for most spanish players the main problem are timers and battle times.

We are shocked that Ports can be atacked at 2:00 am. and the atacking nation can choose to defend it at 5:00 am EU time. Those times are not adecuate for a EU server at all. We all have a life, many of us a job, and some of us a family :P

Some games such as POTBS had this problem and they solved it by adding a fixed port battle time window. Depending on the server, the window of port battles time were different.

That solved the problem quite well. 

By doing so, most US players would join a server more in their time frame.

You are making a very nice game and it has a huge potencial. Keep up with the great job.

Best Regards

Gaizka 

Bastardos sin Gloria Diplo.

• Like 1

Playing and communicating are different things. Yes I can play with someone who does not understand me, but if I want them to target sails with chain vs the hall with ball then how would I communicate that.

Don't be scared. You'd find players in the Spanish faction who'd speak English. 

And you could even learn a few Spanish words...

• Like 1

Some Spanish poster may even create a bilingual glossary with important naval "orders" (such as " target sails with chain") to facilitate communication and coordination between Spanish-speaking players and players who do not speak Spanish...

We have many more problems that you could only see if you play as Spanish,

Please answer this:

1. Early in the game all factions have the Spanish fleet IA everywhere to attack them and easy make a lot of money. We don´t have this chance. We are defending all time.

2. All factions can set the timer battle when they conquest. Spain cannot set timer because we are under attack for six factions at same time and it´s not possible to set timer in the defenses of our ports. Why is not allowed to set timer as defender?

3. USA has no enemies to the north; other countries have no enemies to the east, or south. Spain has enemies surrounding it on all sides. Spain in the middle is continuosly attacked. How it is possible the Devs don´t see this problem...??

4. If the game is PVP, why the game does not start with all free cities for everyone? will be fair for all isn´t it ?...In the other hand, if the game is not a historical game, is obvious, actually is nothing at all historic ...Why Spain must be the sparring for all nations??. Please, We don´t want to be attacked for all because we are not the official defender of this fantasy cities system !

5. Why the Dev have create a new server for USA players if they don´t want to move there? We have worse conditions and less population. USA is like a bat, only attack at night. Even more difficult to defend, or imposible to defend for us.

6. If the game would had been historic, Spain never could lose so many ports, it does not make any sense anyway. Any faction won’t be able to be at war all time. It´s not fair and bad for the game: we can not focus at trade if we lose all the outpost continuosly. 

Conclusion

In my opinion, attack ports system, and battle port does not work for Spanish faction and should be changed. I´m very upset for that because Spanish are not listen here in our proposals.

Edited by Marques
  • Like 3

Sugiero:

1. Replantear la posición de capital de españa y dejar la zona de Cuba como "zona de conflicto" donde solo una nacion fuerte o con aliados tenga la oportunidad de tener esa gran isla como zona estratégica de defensa o dirigir ataques.

2. Al final de estas pruebas me gustaría que existiera un solo servidor EU/US, el horario siempre afectara a cualquier nación y es solo cuestión de que España esta en medio de todas las naciones.

3. Los ataques a provincias deben estar cargados de gran dificultad y podría manejarse según la inversión en oro en dichas provincias, Ejemplo: si deseo mantener a Sisal por su producción invertiría mucho oro en sus defensas en flota IA y Fortaleza de manera que aun sin estar seria un digno adversario para quien conquista.

Traducido en Google:

I suggest:

1. Rethinking Spain capital position and leave the area Cuba as "conflict zone" where only a strong nation or allies have a chance to have that big island as a strategic defense zone or direct attacks.

2. At the end of these tests I wish there was a single EU / US server, the schedule always affect any nation and it is just a matter of Spain is in the midst of all nations.

3. Attacks provinces must be loaded with great difficulty and could be managed as investment in gold in those provinces, Example: if I want to keep its production Sisal invest much gold in their defenses and Fortaleza IA fleet so that even without would be a worthy adversary for whom conquest.

4. If the game is PVP, why the game does not start with all free cities for everyone? will be fair for all isn´t it ?...In the other hand, if the game is not a historical game, is obvious, actually is nothing at all historic ...Why Spain must be the sparring for all nations??. Please, We don´t want to be attacked for all because we are not the official defender of this fantasy cities system !

After port investments and land in battles are added into the game there will be a port reset. 

We are thinking of making all ports except for capitals neutral, giving all nations an equal chance. Alternative solution is to allow setting port defence windows in clean uncaptured port by nation vote.

Port investments will also slow down the conquest because to make flags you will have to build naval bases. No naval base - no flag. Naval base must be protected at all costs to be able to expand.

• Like 8

first off you have to find what the problem is and why it is happening.

pretty sure I know what the problem is.    and why. 

Spain has a low population.  making it easy for them to be attacked by everyone because they cannot defend anything with such a low population.  I don't know why nations want empty port battles.  or almost empty.  i'm still confused as to why we barely see port attacks on US and Pirates or even British.  oh wait, they  have high populations so you would have to work to win those.  people don't wanna pay 100k plus gold to attack a port and fail.

now the hard part.  how do we fix this?

lots of reasonable suggestions.  however, whatever fix you put in, is going to break something else.  i'm sorry I cant be more helpful here.  but the only thing I can think of is, there are too many nations to choose from and closing 1-2 out and giving incentives to join Spain could make a better balance of population

One thing that i see today, if you can deff a battle port and win, other faction should not be able to purchase the same flag, make a protection between flags for sometime, hours.

The biggest problem atm are the ports, its a really dependent game, if u dont have ports, u can't do nothing... maybe a timer like, if u put the timer 4pm-6pm, this port is able to atack at 4am-6am too... And maybe if u conquest a port nobody can buy a flag for it in 2 days?...

About spanshi fac... too much random player, too much people flaming other people and clans in chat... a lot of spanish people (im spanish too.. ) scare a english player with spanish language... so make a tool to create channels and people who dont speak spanish (or other language at other fac) can create for example Spanish fac English player.

Balanced factions is really hard to get, because so many people wanna play facction where got friends.. its not a solution...

Let player change their capital to other Regional Capital, and if they lose it, it will be automatic redirected to the main Capital. ( I mean TP)

More puunish agains verbal abuse.

In Summary; sorry about my poor english xD,  ports should got a doble timmer (Some clans are using it to put hours that know that the other clans cant take it, not only USA players with this time), and an invulnerability time (like 2 days), think that decreasse PvE exp should be a good idea too (i see players with rank 9 atm, its crazy, when at least there are a few players in spain with rank 8.. and there isnt a problem with hours that been playing).

After port investments and land in battles are added into the game there will be a port reset. 

We are thinking of making all ports except for capitals neutral, giving all nations an equal chance. Alternative solution is to allow setting port defence windows in clean uncaptured port by nation vote.

Port investments will also slow down the conquest because to make flags you will have to build naval bases. No naval base - no flag. Naval base must be protected at all costs to be able to expand.

Thanks for your quickly response,  this improvements sound good, but maybe we still stay in the sparring role. I hope you can understand and solve the problems explain above. I would like to see the next wipe improvements in order to balance the game that´s would be a profit for all players and factions.

Good job.

So the US just attacked Campeche, which is miles from the nearest opposition of any faction. Soon no Spanish players will be able to find resources, even by sailing for multiple hours from Havana.

Privately, Americans say that the reason for this port greed is to prove to the devs that the mechanics are broken. They're doing their best to break the game.

• Like 1

All nations starting level sounds good, but have you considered spreading out the capitals? Nations like US, Spain, Great Brittan, and Dutch can expand out fairly easily. Swedish, Dane, and French are right on top of each other and it would be hard to expand without being on top of someone's capital. Even if its not historical, it might be better for long term game balance to spread out the capitals.

My suggestions:

-Make port timers dual, 6 or 12 hours apart (For instance 5pm - 11pm or 5pm - 5am)

-Give extra XP to underpopulated nations son more people is willing to join them

-Diplomacy and alliances system, faction and clan based. Make it so a clan can ally with a nation, a nation with another one, and so on.

-Voting system for faction decision making, even the selection of a high admiral or something like that would be great.

The points exposed by the OP are quite good, but i'd leave out anything that limits player freedom.

• Like 1

If you wipe ports, what is the point of attacking any ports at the moment? Not only will all invested time and money in port battles be wasted but I doubt the change will change anything for Spain.

So the US just attacked Campeche, which is miles from the nearest opposition of any faction. Soon no Spanish players will be able to find resources, even by sailing for multiple hours from Havana.

Privately, Americans say that the reason for this port greed is to prove to the devs that the mechanics are broken. They're doing their best to break the game.

LOL who is privately saying this? I have been to all this PBs tonight and never once have I seen or had anyone tell me this. As one of the Leaders of TF I know we have never tried to brake anything just protecting ourselves from the push north from the Brits. I know conspiracies sound great and all but ffs grow up and lose the tin foil hats please....