Game-Labs Forum

Spanish issues.

admin

Hello Captains. 

It came up in a moderators chat and we would like to discuss the problems of Spain as a nation with you. Solving those problems will help other nations experiencing the same issues in the future. 

Some of the problems spain is experiencing are not intended as we expected Spain to be one of the most populated nations (like it was in POTBS)

Current priorities do not allow fixing the problems immediately but in the future we plan to address them. 

Current ideas.

• Alliances system allowing port entry for allies and their participation in port battles
  • Limitations on flag purchases to slow down expansions for large nations (harder to address)
  • Spanish language advertising to bring more spanish players into the game - your help is needed here too
  • Hard limits on the number of players in nation (a-la other mmo games). 
  • Underpopulated nation bonuses. 

Please share your concerns and proposed solutions in this discussion.

• Like 7

Hello Captains. 

It came up in a moderators chat and we would like to discuss the problems of Spain as a nation with you. Solving those problems will help other nations experiencing the same issues in the future. 

Some of the problems spain is experiencing are not intended as we expected Spain to be one of the most populated nations (like it was in POTBS)

Current priorities do not allow fixing the problems immediately but in the future we plan to address them. 

Current ideas.

• Alliances system allowing port entry for allies and their participation in port battles  ( Aslong as there is no alliance system, this will backfire on the smaller nations even more, port entry sure, but im not sure about port battles themselves.)
  • Limitations on flag purchases to slow down expansions for large nations (harder to address)
  • Spanish language advertising to bring more spanish players into the game - your help is needed here too

Reposting from another thread:

1. Allow nations to purchase flags to set their own timers, using current mechanics. (This has been suggested.)

2. Allow nations to buy slots. These slots will be more expensive the further they are from the nation's capital. Slots may be 100,000 ea. for the first five, 200,000 ea. for the next five, etc. etc. Each slot can be used currently to put a vessel in. 1 dura vessels, on destruction, take the slot with them. 5 dura vessels, on destruction of the 5th slot, take the slot with them. (See where this is going?) Later, with land implemented, slots might also be used for shore batteries.

Each AI vessel would be replaced by a player when a player comes to defend. 10 AI and a player joins? 9 AI and one player. (Remove lowest BR AI)

This, I think, would allow for more dynamic play, increase strategy, reduce night flips, and allow lower population nations to hold ports.

1. i like the alliances allowing port entry and participation in port battles

2. this could work however im not a fan of too many limitations on falg purchases

3. spanish language advertising would not be a bad idea i think as spain is indeed one of the more underpopulated nations in game

4. hard limits on the numbers of players in a nation would work but i dislike that idea very much

5. I dislike giving underpopulated nation bonuses, but that is just my personal opinion

TL;DR i like 1 and 3, they are very good suggestions imho.

• Like 3

[*]Hard limits on the number of players in nation (a-la other mmo games)

Limiting choice is never a good idea. Why force players to play a nation they have no intrest in. This is not including potential language barriers. I don't speak Spanish, so how would I ( or anyone else) who does not speak Spanish communicate with the nation that I'm forced to play in.

I get it, the Spanish players for whatever reason can't get their act together. I know it sounds insulting but it's not meant to be. But the last thing you need is bias accusations that favor the Spanish or any other nation.

I'm sure someone will probably propose limiting U.S players to their own servers as well. I know a lot of Spanish players want this, but i feel you do it for one then others may make the same demands.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Fixed quote.
  • Like 2

Each AI vessel would be replaced by a player when a player comes to defend. 10 AI and a player joins? 9 AI and one player. (Remove lowest BR AI)

How do you address the damage problem? A damaged ships re-spawns with full HP? Or does player spawn with damaged ship all of a sudden?

timer can not put the ports that are ours from the beginning, even if we win the battle of port.

can not compete with players playing in another time zone.

Few players who want to play with Spain in that time slot.

I think too many players have risen faster using some exploit  or bugs abused.

Sorry for my English

• Like 1

As far as I can see, one of the biggest problem for spanish nation was the fact that they had abundance of ports with no time windows which allowed other nations to rapidly conquer multiple ports at once (sort of like neutrals).

Another basic solution (or rather a band-aid) to low population and different timezones - port battle should start 24 hours after delivering the flag. This way nation can actually organize a defense.

• Like 4

1. i like the alliances allowing port entry and participation in port battles

2. this could work however im not a fan of too many limitations on falg purchases

3. spanish language advertising would not be a bad idea i think as spain is indeed one of the more underpopulated nations in game

4. hard limits on the numbers of players in a nation would work but i dislike that idea very much

5. I dislike giving underpopulated nation bonuses, but that is just my personal opinion

TL;DR i like 1 and 3, they are very good suggestions imho.

I agree 100% with OlavDeng2. I dislike mainly "point 4": it would be wrong to force people in some nations because it would kill one of the best features of this awesome game..."Freedom". Naval Action as it is right now allows all players to create their own life on the seas, being a merchant, a fighter, an explorer or (why not?), all these things at the same time. Being free to choose your favourite Faction/Nation is part of the fun. Please don't change that.

As far as I can see, one of the biggest problem for spanish nation was the fact that they had abundance of ports with no time windows which allowed other nations to rapidly conquer multiple ports at once (sort of like neutrals).

Another basic solution (or rather a band-aid) to low population and different timezones - port battle should start 24 hours after delivering the flag. This way nation can actually organize a defense.

Problem with a 24 hour wait is not everyone has the same day to day schedule. The 25 players you intend to attack with today might be reduced by half tommorow.

The real issue is similar to scheduling maintence on the servers. No matter when you do it, it's not going to be fair to somebody.

How about a megaserver similar to GW2. Such system would allow players from all servers to quickly join port battles and help other servers. Creating joint operations lobby can fix many issues. All should work the same way it works atm, but all servers should get message ex. - US attacks Spain Server PvP 1 EU, or Britain attacks Spain Server PvP 2 US. Players still have to sail to same port to join port battles, but from any server. 

When server helps another server, Nation gets bonuses. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-megaserver-system/

• Like 1

I agree 100% with OlavDeng2. I dislike mainly "point 4": it would be wrong to force people in some nations because it would kill one of the best features of this awesome game..."Freedom". Naval Action as it is right now allows all players to create their own life on the seas, being a merchant, a fighter, an explorer or (why not?), all these things at the same time. Being free to choose your favourite Faction/Nation is part of the fun. Please don't change that.

Every rule in every games limit players' freedom but also gives them the fun to play and try to win within the system of theses rules. No rule, no pain, no gain (no fun).

So I don't think it would be that wrong to force ppl in some nations as long as it enables an harder and more balanced RvR game between nations with similar competitive strength.

The same goes with :

- Limitations on flag purchases to slow down expansions for large nation

- Underpopulated nation bonuses.

• Like 1

In regards to the improved fortifications:

How about having historical strongholds? We all know that the Spanish had some of the most formidable fortifications of any nation in that area.

Havana, San Juan, Cartagena de indias for example.

This will naturally allow them to maintain presence in areas for a longer period, allowing them to get well established.

• Like 7

So I don't think it would be that wrong to force ppl in some nations as long as it enables an harder and more balanced RvR game between nations with similar competitive strength.

So you don't see an issue forcing 3 players, none of which speak a common language try and play together and communicate in battle?

If it was already damaged, it's replaced by a fresh one. It's broken.

Not at all. Currently, if you have 15 ships defending and a new player joins, you get a 16th, unscratched vessel. This system would mean that if you have 15 AI defending, and a new player joins, they have a 15th unscratched vessel.

Hello Captains. 

Current ideas.

• Alliances system allowing port entry for allies and their participation in port battles

This is a topic I am rather passionate about, and have several suggestions that may aid you here.

Taxes and Defense timers I believe are the answer.

Defense timers: At the moment on each port there is a two hour window allowing other nations to capture it.  We have the time, I believe introducing days is the next step.  At the moment, smaller nations such as the spanish are slightly overwhelmed at the daily barrage that is 2-5 port caps, causing frustration, disorgnisation and boredom.  EVERY day is committed to trying to hold back the onslaught, with no time for meetings, grinding and other guild formed activities. 

Introducing day defense timers:  Make each port open to assault 4 days a week, leaving 3 days free to grind, regroup etc, and let the lord protector choose the days in the same way they can choose the times at the moment. So for example if I just captured a port, I could choose any 4 days out of the week, with the same time 6-8 / 7-9 etc.

Taxes. To reduce the ease of access in leaving fleets in free towns right in the centre of enemy territory. Introduce tax which charges the player each day a certain amount depending on the ship.

I also believe the increased cost of flag crafting is still far too generous. The flag I believe should be closer to 1 million gold to buy [but with the current incomplete mechanics, they are probably best at the current price.]

[sorry for the rushed reply, in a battle! :D ]

Edited by Monkey Bullet
  • Like 3

in my opinion there is no problem at all.

If more people play other nations, fine.

Then Spain will be small with not much harbours.

Therefore small countries like denmark for example have many players and will be a bigger power.

Why does spain have to be big and powerful ? only because of history ? what is the problem if the game evolves in other ways then history was ?

I have no problem when nations which didnt have many colonies in history are big in this game.

If not many players want to play spain or other nations are better organized, fine, then a big part of the sea will be owned by denmark, sverige or whatever, dont see a problem here at all.

It would be a bad idea to interfere in political development at this stage, because if you destroy what people have achieved by hard work, or even force them to play a nation they dont want to, then many people might go play another game.

Not at all. Currently, if you have 15 ships defending and a new player joins, you get a 16th, unscratched vessel. This system would mean that if you have 15 AI defending, and a new player joins, they have a 15th unscratched vessel.

If AI was already damaged, it's replaced by a fresh ship. It's broken.

What about a mercenary system ?

Players who would join under-populated nations would receive from Gamelabs redeemable ships, gold, upgrades and/or outposts (...) against the promise to stay several weeks or months in the given faction.Their character and his nationality on the given server would be blocked (of course) meanwhile, so that players couldn't take the money and immediately go back to their previous faction.

Let players see what ports are under attack.

1. Show players what ports are under attack, show unrest zones and add defending NPC fleets. (Add visual markers to World map).

- Defending port NPC fleet is a 1st defense before any port battle should be created. Players have to breach and destroy NPC fleet before blockading a port which would trigger Port Battle timer. This will give some time to nations who are under attack to gather forces.  I think potbs had good approach to timers for port battles. Just my opinion.  

2. Players don't know what's going on. Nations keeps conquest in secret leaving players without information. I bet 50% of players don't even know that their ports are about to get hit or they actually planing an attack on someones port. Unexpected attacks result in easy port captures, but hurt other nations. (They don't have time to respond). Example. Players ask in Nation chat what are we going to attack or what ports are under attack, where is pvp at? This information is kept in secret and results in more xp grinding instead pvp/conquest. 

- Add warnings and messages  - US activity around (Spanish Port name) has reached high level. This will let EVERYONE know Spain is under attack. (Have 3 levels based on player count in port zones). 

3. You made players grind all day for xp. You will not see players participating until they feel comfortable with their level and ships. Slow lvling results in pb participation cuts. 

Conclusion, open player eyes and let them see and hear about what is going on inside World of Conquest in real time. Give players time to prepare and organize. 

Problem is very easy to fix, but for some reason you look in the wrong direction. 

• Like 2