Game-Labs Forum

1st Big content patch information.

Cannon fire improvements.

We want to give more penetrating power to all cannons at very close range, reducing it for some cannon types at longer ranges.  After artillery rework last year some cannons became too weak or too strong, and we want to increase the tactical benefits of range control.

Is this to say that you will encourage close combat with even better carronade the detriment of the fight with long guns? I do not understand your gait too. Cordially

Really happy with the stern risk and damage being increased. By damage though what exactly do you mean? At the moment the stern can be completely destroyed with 1-2 great broadsides. However even fully destroyed, it causes barely any leaks and does not take on water. Please ensure (very much like the bow) that you DO take on water from a destroyed stern.

Also massive crew kills even from normal balls on a destroyed stern should exist.

• Like 2

Also massive crew kills even from normal balls on a destroyed stern should exist.

More this, round shot bouncing along the gallery, than the leaks if a high stern is destroyed.

A low stern like a brig, privateers, etc might indeed suffer more water in with the rolling waves.

• Like 2

Really happy with the stern risk and damage being increased. By damage though what exactly do you mean? At the moment the stern can be completely destroyed with 1-2 great broadsides. However even fully destroyed, it causes barely any leaks and does not take on water. Please ensure (very much like the bow) that you DO take on water from a destroyed stern.

I think that is what they mean:

when we talk about raking efficiency we mostly talk about cannonball damage through stern

right now it is weak

I hope one day they will add the possibility to change your nationality, for example 

- that nations have roughly the same number of players (you cant choose a nation who have more player than an other)
- pirates can join a nation
- maybe change nation for gold ? to pay admiralty ? more expensives for pirates ?

You do realize you can delete your character and keep your level now to switch nations? They tied it all to steam for that reason a few days ago..

New account XP system

Old system had a lot of problems and confusion. It did not give enough flexibility and it created a huge burden of work for the dev team with the tornado of tickets. 

New system is elegant and solves the majority of player problems and questions letting us focus on development more.

Rules of the system

• Rank, Craft level and Labor hours are synchronized on steam account (learnt blueprints are not)
  • Steam account sync is independent of the player name 
  • You can have different nations on different servers
  • You can have different names on different servers
  • In summary you can delete a player and create another one with another name keeping XP

I agree with those who say that leaks should occur from bow and stern damage. It's always seemed strange they do not cause leaks, I always just thought it was a broken part of the damage model that was intended to be fixed later.

Rather than increase broadside armor (I think it's perfect where it is) why not just introduce leaking for bow and stern shots? Sees like the much simpler solution.

Rather than increase broadside armor (I think it's perfect where it is) why not just introduce leaking for bow and stern shots? Sees like the much simpler solution. 

You already get leaks that way.

Leaks from low bow planking are severe enough to force Survival mode from time to time.

But if you can sink a ship just by shooting its stern windows, that's really freaking stupid. Cutter sinks Santi every time.

• Like 3

You do realize you can delete your character and keep your level now to switch nations? They tied it all to steam for that reason a few days ago..

If that is the case then there is no reason at all to prevent us from having multiple characters. Some people spend a lot of time and effort building up their fleet and ports and it makes no sense that they have to lose that all just to play with a friend who happens to be in a different navy. Then they have to do it again to go back to their navy to play with other friends.

What does the 1 character system add to the game? because for the life of me I cant see any bonus. If it is just a PvP thing then break off the PvP servers from the PvE server and let people have multiple characters on PvE servers.

You already get leaks that way.

Leaks from low bow planking are severe enough to force Survival mode from time to time.

But if you can sink a ship just by shooting its stern windows, that's really freaking stupid. Cutter sinks Santi every time.

Works for bow, you are forced to use the survival mode, doesn't work for stern, stern destroyed means nothing at ranges other than very close.

Actually, I can tank an equal sized ship with my stern all day long if I stay out of grape range. I'll never sink with my stern destroyed.

That's also freaking stupid. I shouldn't be able to soak up and tank all the damage from ball ammo by offering my stern...

Edited by Charles Deluxe

The "FIXES" seem appropriate and I like the changes, interesting. However, why is this being called a Big Content Patch, this is not content. This patch contains changes and adjustments to mechanics and although welcomed and appreciated this patch is hugely misrepresented buy saying its a big content patch. 

Works for bow, you are forced to use the survival mode, doesn't work for stern, stern destroyed means nothing at ranges other than very close.

Actually, I can tank an equal sized ship with my stern all day long if I stay out of grape range. I'll never sink with my stern destroyed.

That's also freaking stupid. I shouldn't be able to soak up and tank all the damage from ball ammo by offering my stern...

Theoretically you should end up with no rudder and no guns when you're done 'tanking,' and the enemy gets an easy capture.

But to accomplish this, there has to be some automatic gun loss when shooting at a 'destroyed' stern, and perhaps some special sort of crew shock.

Most of all, if the darn mast hitboxes would extend to the waterline like I ask for every week, you would be dismasted.

• Like 8

we are getting a 64 gun ship of the line soon, the ingermanland. The aganenmon is also spotted in the game files so i suspect we get her as well, when i cannot tell at all.

Those new ships I see in the files is Bucentaure, GrosVentre, Indiaman, Rattlesnake, RattlesnakeHeavy (which I havent seen before. Unsure on the Schooner)

Those new ships I see in the files is Bucentaure, GrosVentre, Indiaman, Rattlesnake, RattlesnakeHeavy (which I havent seen before. Unsure on the Schooner)

go to \Naval Action\Database\DesignModel\Ships and you will find the agamemnon on top if you short by name

I didn't see any mention of the small crafting notes for small ships and modules. I'm still wondering if they're planned for this upcoming patch. Currently price of notes is still rising (35-38K in PvE server atm) and it's making the price of small ships and upgrades rather silly. I've just hit lvl 40 crafting so starting to make mastercrafted upgrades.  Modules costing a mere 6K of materials are taking 105K for notes to Mastercraft them, the ratios seem a bit out of balance.

• Like 3

I didn't see any mention of the small crafting notes for small ships and modules. I'm still wondering if they're planned for this upcoming patch. Currently price of notes is still rising (35-38K in PvE server atm) and it's making the price of small ships and upgrades rather silly. I've just hit lvl 40 crafting so starting to make mastercrafted upgrades.  Modules costing a mere 6K of materials are taking 105K for notes to Mastercraft them, the ratios seem a bit out of balance.

Especially when you are lucky enough to find some of those upgrades for sell in shops for around 30k :/

I didn't see any mention of the craft BP chance overhaul either but as far as I am aware that's still dropping with the patch too.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

The problem there is crew and gun loss, not sinking. Since 0 integrity is supposed to accelerate crew and gun loss, taking raking fire through the stern with ball should be fairly devastating. This is what needs to be improved.

Quite simply: it makes zero sense to sink a ship because you put a single broadside into the stern. If you have sinking because of stern integrity reduction, then you have to boost stern HP beyond current extremely low levels, which in turn will make getting the gun and crew loss boost harder and raking less effective for its intended purposes. The whole game will center around rake once or twice to sink.

Wondering what the new ships are!

The options are IIRC...

Rattlesnake 6th Rate

Essex 5th Rate

Ocean 1st Rate

Indefatigable 5th Rate

Amsterdam (5th Rate?)

Hoping for Indefatigable, Essex and Ocean!

the options would be the following i belive:

Rattlesnake, Niagara, Essex, Ingermanland, Ocean, Grosse Ventre(merchant ship), Indiaman(it isnt really the amsterdam).