Game-Labs Forum

1st Big content patch information.

When seeing a list of all the contracts placed and which player placed the contract, can we choose which contract to buy/sell regardless of whether it is the highest or lowest price? I think it would be a great way to create more economic strategies in the game.  If we find out that a certain clan is buying up all the hemp at 300 just so they can monopolize and sell it at 600 it would give us the ability to both find this out and then in turn, no longer buy from them.  It would also allow others to compete with them as well.

I agree this puts the power in players hands and honest brokers, helping the nation in the long term. Who would you rather buy from, the 350 avg or the 600 gouger? Love this idea.

Great patch guys. Love the idea of seeing more chaos in battle with higher rates of demasting. Having that mast repair on separate timers might be an idea. Well done dev team.

• Like 1

I like the new crew mechanics, but i would have some questions.

Like does the same applies to bots and there ships

What about marines will they count towards the mechanic, too

Or will they be excluded

this is just speculations but:

1. i belive that most rules apply to both AI as well as players so ys

2. I belive they would just count for boarding and nothing else

I kind of like the changes to the Crew,but i do have a few reservations.I just hope that they wont be detrimental to Gameplay.I can see a lot more "Cut and Run" scenarios when your crew has been smitten and reduced,people wont want to lose their "precious" ships so will do a runner also they will not initiate combat unless they have a massive crew advantage,and that means 1st Raters,i dont want a game where thats all thats being used!

Cut and sail away (to make repairs) and then turn and fight again.  No problem with that...I already do that when faced with two or more foes.  Damage sails, run until they separate during chase and then do some one on one before the others catch me.  Sounds good, but the proof will be in the "Open World".  Skill and audacity rule... fair winds and canon smoke to all ;)

Concerning the crafting changes. I like the fact that you intend for people to work together. 5 people seems like a good number. The problem that i have with it is that it might require all 5 to login every day. There needs to be a system that allows for several days of accrual without penalties to the group as a whole. Either that or a method for the "group" to assist one another in their absence without jeopardizing the output of the group as a whole. Or requiring they share login information, which is a security risk.

For example currently several people in my clan are working together to ensure our ship builders have several days worth of parts. Under the new plan to maximize efficiency each person would effectively be in charge of 1 aspect of the production environment. If a single cog jams the whole machine stops. Allowing for several days head start on parts/mineral creation could alleviate this problem and allow for communication/organization to occur. Forethought and planning also allows for more group play (pew pew) time verse spending time chasing parts across multiple ports. Promote this and you'll create a successful crafting system.

It's a great idea for an MMO to invest in community building. Where people must work together to achieve a desired result. It's what keeps these games going long term. It's not ok to ignore "life" and not have methods to compensate.

I would also like to hear about how this would affect Pirates in more detail. The forums are full of people requesting that pirates not be allowed to take ports. Pirates are already at a trade disadvantage. Implementing anything short of a full nation state for Pirates with this system would effectively cripple their war making ability.

• Like 2

Our proposal is this:

Bring back cool downs for hull repairs and mast repairs: Cool downs should only work when the player is on the exit timer – if you are out of combat. If enemy does not pursue you in battle actively you can disengage away wait for 10-20 mins and get another repair chance. Captains who participated in the previous repair discussions actively can bring back their ideas into the discussions here.

I guess as long as 1 hull repair is no better than it is today: costs a kit and doesn't repair a whole lot.

I don't want to bring back POTBS tactics where the PvP game is to take hits, retreat, repair up, go back in, etc. I find that especially when outnumbered I greatly appreciate that damage counts and they can't just fall back and fix it. A damaged enemy can fall back and EXIT but not repair up and rejoin.

• Like 1

I loved the way it worked in Silent Hunter III, where you assigned crew to specific areas.

Maybe is this you could assign divisons.

Since I never played SH III I am not exactly sure what you mean.  But on the surface it seems that arbitrarily assigning crew members all willy-nilly to wherever you feel like assigning them does not make any sense.  Ships and subs assign sailors to specific departments and divisions according to their rate (job field) and rating (i.e. rank), and then they qualify to do specific jobs, stand specific watches, and operate specific equipment.  So, for example, pulling qualified engineers our of the Engine Room and adding them to the Torpedo Room would just put unqualified people in the way of the qualified Torpedo Mates, and pulling qualified Boatswain Mates from Deck Division off of the bridge or Control Room and putting them in CIC to operate fire control systems would just put them in the way of the qualified sailors in CIC.  So, the loss of effectiveness in one area would be greater than any marginal increase unqualified people could provide to another area.  However, taking extra unqualified crew members and assigning them to divisions as a supplement to the what they need to operate effectively does make sense.

Awesome update, impatient to test this new crew management, but you have got to be realistic, i see many players that think there is 3-4 men only per canon, which is absolutely unrealistic unless they plan on using only swivels and muskets.
here are the real number, and the reason why ship can't fire two side at same moment, so i hope you will add a sort of simple switch button (port / starboard) to choose the side where your gun crew are going to manage the canon, at a given time.

36lb require 14 men
24lb lb require 11 men
18lb lb require 9 men
12lb require 8 men
8 lb require 7 men
6 lb require 5 men
4 lb require 4 men

• Like 2

I think the changes to put more emphasis on raking are good because it creates more balance between the various ship types. I want people to be able to captain whatever ships they enjoy, and these changes will go a long way toward making smaller vessels able to better compete with the ships of the line, so it will make people who like smaller ships more able to compete, and it will let larger ships be less subject to additional penalties to try and balance their high combat power.

Those are the 'crew' for a pair of pieces. They can double up and serve a single piece increasing the rate of fire, reducing fatigue and making a cushion for losses (and forming boarding parties), but it is perfectly possible to fight both of the guns this sized crew looks after. (Also only the crew for heavy pattern ordnance - light pattern guns, carronades etc use smaller crews in proportion to their deck weight (gun plus carriage))

Reloading and firing require less effort than adjusting the pointing of the piece, and it wasn't until late in the period that gun tackle was even suitable for more than very small changes in pointing.

This is my understanding as well.

I'm just wondering what sources you know of that discuss this topic. All I've got is Boudriot.

Boarding

Boarding crew has to be allocated before the boarding. And the main difference with the old system is this: if you have enough men you can shoot guns and have boarders ready at the same time. Some ships with low number of guns will shine as a result – lynx is the best example. And it will allow you to board when you are sinking (sending some men to repairs and the rest to boarding party).

In the future we add the following changes to the boarding – but they wont get in next patch.

• Only prepared boarding crew will fight in boarding for both sides
  • Fire deck guns will be moved out of the boarding interface and you will be shooting actual guns with their real reloads and performance. If you don't have crew allocated to guns you will not be able to fire during boarding.
  • Disengage duration will be affected by several commands and factors. Players wont be able to disengage in certain situations unless they are pulled away from the vessel by friendly ramming.

All the crew manangement changes sound great, but this is especially brilliant.

Are you going to use Boudriot's crew numbers as a basis for sailhandling requirements?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-pwrC9JR7ahbUxrbkR3WWlqVEE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-pwrC9JR7ahU2FmT0ZJOHJBVmc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-pwrC9JR7ahaUtqQTlwak1TZ0E/view?usp=sharing

(I really apologize for these potato pictures. I was sitting hunched over my library book in a solar-powered hostel on an island in Maine run by a crazy amateur stonemason and his Swedish wife, and the light wasn't too great.)

Also, I'd be happy to scale down those numbers for different sail settings.

• Like 1