Game-Labs Forum

1st Big content patch information.

Alright lets heat up the discussion. I've been known on the steam forum for writing big 'letters' of responses so bring it on cpts.

As said before by an admin; back on topic (please don't close the topic, this should be  a discussion, as said by the beginning post; "Discuss..." - Admin). I do agree, there are a lot of unnecessary posts. I had to scroll way too much to actually find decent posts about the whole topic.

New store interface.

Great addition. I am a trader myself and i am one of these traders that's putting up competetive contracts (to reduce prices) so the prices will eventually decrease themselves over time. Personally i do and do not agree with the player name shown when placing contracts.

I do agree; i've known traders putting up contracts for 1,999$ for one piece of hemp (and i would like to know who would ever think of such an idiotic price). This breaks an entire economy and start a cheaper contract yourself to reduce this price. This concerns the beginners as well. If you would start in a beginning area and you are doing missions and see such ridiculous prices, you would be disgusted yourself and literally 'quit' the game if you feel like 'i do not want to grind' (i h8 the grind word, just stop using it). I've set a standard price of 449$/hemp in the dutch nation for a week now. Look at the prices, it's been like this for a week. I've seen max. price contracts of 500$/hemp. I'm still disgusted by this price, but with an economy driven by players, there should be some players (like me) who regulate prices according to buy prices. Same with stone block; i can buy stone block for 40, and i sell hem for 69$/block, yet, there are a lot of cpts selling contracts for 200$/stone block. It is a good system and i like it a lot, but there should be more detail into putting contracts and not just only 'naming & shaming'. (see "i do not agree"). The system is rather complex itself in regard to the NPC prices (supply & demand) but the contract system is still somewhat 'broken'. Same thing; if i buy 200 or 2000 stone blocks, i do not get some kind of discount because i purchase a large quantity. It will Always be the same price for any kind of quanity you purchase. Trading should be encouraged a lot more. Some cpts are abusing the contract system a LOT (much higher prices - especially for newbies, who actually need to know how the economy works). Personally; i'm waiting for a tutorial myself. On the steam forum there are a lot of negative topics because cpts still do not know the game and i have 220+ hours of gameplay. Even the official forum (especially the guide section) should be promoted, a lot of cpts do not know about this part of the forum and especially the economic situation. I absolutely want newbies to discover cities themselves and start learning about the prices themselves but even i am still confused about the contracts. Sometimes you can purchase a product for (example) 361$ (when selling price is 350$ for example;hemp) and sometimes you need to calculate 3x+1 the contract selling price to actually buy goods of european traders. It is a good system, but still a lot of cpts do not know about this; tutorial required! Sometimes it is a gamble.

I do not agree; Naming & shaming. If someone sells hemp for 1,999$/hemp, i would be glad to know who he/she might be. BUT as a player driven economy; i do not feel like knowing every single contracters name, even when selling over priced contracts. This should be regulated by experienced traders/players and not by showing the traders name. It is somewhat uncontrolable, but there should be some cpts who make the market competetive by putting up lower prices (should be up to the nation themselves; but trading should be encouraged - not only by european traders or farming traders in the open world).

New battle crew management - BIG CHANGE

I like this a lot but i still am not aware if this also affects AI or not (i suppose so but not confirmed in post). This will absolutely deny the undercrewing of ships, which is going on atm. I like this system a lot and am looking forward to seeing this system in-game.

Repairs/Survival changes

Same as previous; like this idea a lot. A half crewed ship should not be able to repair as much as a fully crewed ship would do. This encourages cpts to decrease the amount of crew a ship has, rather than going for its hull instantly (more tactical descissions).

Sailing

Again; does this affect the AI? Also a great addition to the game.

Boarding

Like this idea a lot. Especially in PvE, firing gun decks is just a stupid way of winning boardings very easily. TBH it is still WAY too easy. Just choose 'attack', wait until the countdown goes to 2 and just click on brace. The AI will choose fire grenades or fire deck guns 90% of the time for the next round, just choose attack again and you will have almost 100% more value than the previous turn. It is way too easy to capture AI ships atm, should be more challenging. Disengaging changes is a good thing, same as of PvE, it was way too easy to disengage. Just defend five turns and you are pretty much getting out of the fight. Especially the prepairing part is a great addition.

Production buildings

THIS COULD (yes could...) actually counter the unnecessary high prices; as said in "New store interface.". Still the same; if some cpts abuse the system it will still be a mess but OK, it is a player driven economy.

Delivery quests: This is one of the idea's i'm talking about. This could possibly change the high contract prices for example! This won't require these experienced players who actually care about he nation and the economic situation who put up the cheap contracts, rather then making a (large) profit for themselves.

Price report letter: Same here. GREAT IDEA! I want newbies to discover cities, as a real trader, but some kind of 'tutorial' on the economic sitution is Always a big + (increase the rate on receiving such a letter when hunting traders?!).

European traders should operate only in capitals: Totally agree, as discussed before. I'm still confused about this; OR 3x+1 OR a somewhat 'regular' price... It is way too complicated and shouldn't be like this, but still, a lot of people are buying the regular produced goods with contracts. In this case, european traders still help out a lot (for example; stone block. I purchase them for the Verenigde Provinciën for 40, with european traders, and sell them for a decent price... There is never a decent stock of stone block for example). This could possibly be fixed with the delivery quests offcourse.

New ships

Nothing to say here. Big +!

Gameplay tuning

Ship curves and turning adjusted:  PLEASE adjust the AI (especially the AI!!!!!). Even a heavily damaged 3rd rate turns faster than my trincomalee, it is absolutely ridiculous. Even when using manual sails it is still ridiculous.

PvP rewards for kills/assists: I Always support PvP, it is a great addition to the game. I did a PvP battle this week, because some frogs were engaging ships from our nation. My trinco survived the battle; it was a 3v4 but they had an advantage with ship rates. I survived and stayed the whole battle, i did a lot of damage, but it did not feel as rewarding as it should've been (i was highest ship from our side - i tanked a lot of the dmg and did a lot of dmg - second highest was a cerb). Eventally we sank 2/3 ships, the (probably) undercrewed conny was the only survivor and we sank a renommee and a frigate. The conny only had about 3 blocks of hp on each side. I like the PvP system and i would definitely engage a lot more (with extra rewards) when i hear cpts in the nation chat.

Combat tuning

I do and do not agree on this one.

I do agree; the common strategy in battle is to turn your bow/stern to the enemy when it can fire its cannons. The stern should be a very weak point, but not the bow. The bow already has a round shape, which should, in combination with its broadside, bounce the shots off (not when faced straight - also depends on ship build. Snow, belle poule,...).

I still like the idea of extra planking for all vessels. This would create an even more challenging battle.

Do not agree: The bow part perhaps; do agree on the stern changes.

Mast/Sail repair on long cooldowns

Do and do not agree.

Do agree: if you see a 3rd rate, pavel,... you will absolutely aim for its mast and when this is down you will demolish this ship. If you need to tank a broadside from a victory or santissima you will get crushed completely. This would create a decent strategy to eleminate a +3 rate ship easily (which makes sense because it does a lot of dmg). Other way around; it could open up possible plays with +3rd rates to start fighting again instead of being demasted and feel like 'ffs the battle is over -_-' because your manouvrability is even worse then before.

Watch this vid and it will provide you the proof of how powerfull a mast repair/demast can be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS0o3yEcUFs

Do not agree: I still think, as discussed in the agree part, this is a very viable tool to destory a 3rd rate+. If you know you are outnumbered, destroying a ships mast will eventually put one of the higher rates 'out of the battle'. Offcourse, this could change PvP a lot if you could repair a mast; but again: why would you demast a 3rd rate+ if you know it will be able to repair it? Basically you need to demast it and even kill it completely to destroy the ship. So why would you demast it? For boarding purposes perhaps... But this might be the only reason. If you want to destory a victory or santissima you can demast it (already low manouvrability) but this won't have a decent purpose, you will still need to hunt it down right away, instead of handicaping this VERY strong ship for the rest of the battle. Especially now when you are going to debuff the bow/stern (lower rates can't tank a demasted 3rd rate+?, mainly trinco/belle).

Extra: hunting big AI fleets for Dutch side; No... I've hunt 2 big ai fleets around sinamaica myself with a couple of friends this weekend. Beside that; go to canalete or carupano. Take some risk; hunt AI fleets at our borders AND engage in PvP perhaps. Not a problem at all. The AI fleet hunting was easy with the 'spanish hunting ground' but  tbh, it was rather unrealistic. For us; we could farm spanish fleets all day long. For the spanish; they could sail to our waters and park their ships in coconut town or in these spanish ports to trade, do missions, stack ships for PvP,... We capped these ports because we did not want the spanish to put extra ships in these ports, because we were already fighting the frogs in the east (which was pretty hard, look at the map layout now. ALL the ports in the east were ours once. I had an outpost in Carupano - once neutral - first port being capped by the French. Look what they've capped now). Same for the neutral town Coro (Spanish & French PvP). La orchilla is a prime example here. Free town; yet French- and pirate players park their ships in this port to hunt down dutch ships (PvP mostly, also PvE). This is why we capped the 'circle' around Maracaibo.

Extra extra: yeah people are stopping because they do not agree with the 'early access' part. I've seen a lot of rage about the 'grinding' part of the game. TBH this is their personality. The game is early access and it is a work in progress. Currently these players are testing the game (and reporting bugs, etc.) and not playing a completed game and this is what most of these players don't get. Start playing in a team - the XP earned is way better (stack missions - no need to travel to ports when mission is finished). Beside that; get on topic again please.

Discuss and add some arguments please. Don't tell me you simply "do not agree" on any part.

• Like 1

When the patch does drop (its starting to feel like a surprise Christmas now that could happen any day) Will there be an extended maintenance or will it just pop after a usual daily maintenance?

It's almost always displayed 'Updating' IIRC, only really hotfixes have just dropped without warning.

• Like 1

"Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:24 PM"

star_big.png

POPULAR

"Hello Captains and Gentlemen"

"This is a first attempt at a devblog. We are planning to deploy a big content patch within next 10-14 days"

14 days ago today. 

have patience, Admin had the flu so there might be some delays, i would imagine the patch will come sometime this week however nothing is sure.

I may have missed someone say it but I am surprised I haven't seen anyone having wished admin well. Totally regardless of the patch flu is really nasty and I hope he doesn't have to suffer with it for too much longer. Get well soon Admin.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 8

I may have missed someone say it but I am surprised I haven't seen anyone having wished admin well. Totally regardless of the patch flu is really nasty and I hope he doesn't have to suffer with it for too much longer. Get well soon Admin.

Well wishes for Admin, get well soon!

Thanks for the update, Henry.

Hope he and the rest will be full health and firing on all 8 cylinders when everybody back on track.

NB// firing on all 8 is an Aussie term for full capacity.

We like our v8 muscle touring cars.

Edited by Aussie Pastor
  • Like 1

I hope the DEVs get well soon and keep up the amazing job they have done so far. People really do need to chill on the ''i want a refund or you said 10-14 days'' they will release it when good and ready for a reason so they introduce a stable ready patch. I will get grief i am sure but i am happy to wait for it plenty to do in game. 

keep it up devs. 

• Like 4

Admin is the project's lead person - not just a forum administrator.  If Admin is out sick, quite a bit of development related activities aren't happening.

Thank you for the update.

I hope Admin gets well soon.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, Henry.

Hope he and the rest will be full health and firing on all 8 cylinders when everybody back on track.

NB// firing on all 8 is an Aussie term for full capacity.

We like our v8 muscle touring cars.

Haha. Fellow machinehead, theres no better way to wish get better!

• Like 1

Haha. Fellow machinehead, theres no better way to wish get better!

My favourite "Top Gear" was when James May taught a 75+ yr old Vicar how to drift.

I wish someone would take this old (48) Pastor on a race track in a mucke car and go drifting!

Setting dates again and not following through? I could have swore I said something about this before...

Just. Don't. Give. Dates.

That causes more problems as it leads to people constantly asking. Setting dates and then not meeting them for good reasons is a lot better.

they said from the beginning: 10-14 days, but it may take longer. Nothing has changed from that shedule...I've seen so many hype trains derailed into shitstorms because devs missed their deadline by 2 hours. In the end all the hate evaporates into love again when we've finally arrived on christmas eve and are allowed to play with our toys. 

After the patch has been released- everyone now complaining will then spam "i love you devs" memes again  :P

Edited by Mr. Starbuck