Game-Labs Forum

Propaganda

Harkonenov

Hello, fellow seamens!

Please see below our first try in news. 

I know, that only few can read in Russian, so here is a brief translation :

" News from small Russian Navy Fleet, performing an international peace keeping duty near by free city Canalete, along with Spanish Navy Forces.

On 14th of February we've performed several combat contacts with Verenigde Provinciën fleet. At this contacts several enemy line ships were destroed,

several had fled away, leaving the battle. Among destroed ships was the Trincomale, led by the captan Ragnar, faimous for his pirat attacks on a weaker opponents.

On the photo you can see the moment of blasting out due to the fire of one of the Verenigde Provinciën line ships."

Sorry for my English, btw.

post-16-0-99377700-1455528670_thumb.jpg

OFF News, issue 02, English version.

post-16-0-56759000-1455716393_thumb.jpg

post-16678-0-16274600-1455716481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harkonenov
  • Like 9

I don't think a soviet paper really suits this "Age of sail" theme. :) But good job anyway.

Yes, you're right. But - I'm not so advanced with graphic editors to create smth like other do, and this format is much easier for me.

And, from the other hand - our community consists mostly from the ppl age 30+, which were reading "Pirate" books in their childhood - at Soviet time.

So....

;)

Thanks  :)

Nice now we have also a Russian newspaper :) I have one question in general regarding all role playing articles. I see that many years are used in the newspapers, ranging from anno 1702 up to 1917. In what game year do we live? Most likely for me it is later than 1776, because the United States exist in the game as an independed nation but not later than 1795, marking the end of the Dutch Republic of the United Provinces. I think the correct year is 1795.. the US ships have the 15 star flag (the US flag between July 4th, 1795 and July 4th,1818. One problem.. the Dutch Republic of the United Provinces came to an end at January 19th 1795 when the Batavian Republic (being a French client state) was proclaimed. 

Edited by Swieb
  • Like 1

Nice now we have also a Russian newspaper :) I have one question in general regarding all role playing articles. I see that many years are used in the newspapers, ranging from anno 1702 up to 1917. In what game year do we live? Most likely for me it is later than 1776, because the United States exist in the game as an independed nation but not later than 1795, marking the end of the Dutch Republic of the United Provinces. I think the correct year is 1795.. the US ships have the 15 star flag (the US flag between July 4th, 1795 and July 4th,1818. One problem.. the Dutch Republic of the United Provinces came to an end at January 19th 1795 when the Batavian Republic (being a French client state) was proclaimed. 

I have wanted to discuss this as well, Swieb. I agree entirely, the game must necessarily be set between 1776 (US independence) and 1795 (end of the Dutch Republic). I'm working on the first issue of a Danish newspaper, and I have opted for the year 1786 as the most fitting one.

• Like 1

Yes, but later I saw that US flag in game is from 1795.

The spanish flag was only an added note for information.

The flags are unreliable anyway, the current Danish and Swedish ones were never used for the navy for example. I think it's more important to look at the nations that are present, and conclude based on that. We have the US, obviously, and we also have the Dutch "United Provinces" (Verenigde Provinciën). We currently only have "France", so we can't say anything based on the French Revolution - as I said, I personally think France should still be a kingdom.

Or the ships present...

The US are still the 13 colonies as far as I'm concerned - An extension of Britain.

Grim, you really are that hurt from losing Louisiana that you have to stoop to saying we aren't even the United States?  Our Flag is the 1795-1818 Flag.

<..> We currently only have "France", so we can't say anything based on the French Revolution - as I said, I personally think France should still be a kingdom.

Regarding the French flag, the royal French government used many flags, the best known being a blue shield and gold fleur-de-lis tricol. Regarding the first French tricolore its flag's colours were reversed, thus three vertical bands coloured red (hoist side), white and blue. The flag was in use by the short lived French kingdom 1791-1792 and by the first French republic untill 1794. The modified design by Jacques-Louis David being in the game and in real today in use as the French tricolore was adopted in 1794. See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_France

Edited by Swieb

There are 4 ships that didn't even exist in the game.  There's another ship from 1820, and another from 1710... It is the fantasy line up of ships.  I'm less versed on the flags, however even they don't line up historically (if what I read is correct...it is the internet after all).

I am hurt.

So, for finding the most logical in game date for today we need, based on real history, to compromise somewhat. The fact that the French tricolore, being in use in the game, was adopted on February 15th, 1794 (today its in real 15 february too) and the fact that the Dutch Republic in Europe was replaced on January 19th, 1795 by the Batavian Republic, being a French puppet state, and that here in our game world the Dutch of the United Provinces are in full war against the French, role playing to protect there old famous republic, February 15th, 1795 is for me the most logical compromise regarding in game date for today.

The Batavian Republic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavian_Republic

Edited by Swieb

Dear Frienrs!

(Hope you don't mind such treatment :) )

First of all let me thank you for your support and advices. 

I do agree that this "paper" is provoking  :D  But my task and idea was to draw your attention to the fact of the Russian paper. And looks like I've succeed. 

Next issue I'll try to do in both Russian and English, but be preapered for mistakes....

Again, thank you for your support and... See you in the sea!

;)

• Like 5