Game-Labs Forum

Want this in the game I know will probably not see it do have the game.  Reasons for wanting this it is historical accurate would be a good activity to do for high level that need gold and do not have any friends on.  Before people use the it might offend someone Assassin creed black flag already had whaling in the game.  So would you let Black Flag have a historical aspect over this game.  Also if whaling is added the harder whales to get like sperm whales will try to capsize you whaling vessel so for those whales might need more ships anyways thought this is something needed to give player a fresh new experience and a different dynamic in the game hope to see fishing I saw tuna fish as a resource today. 

• Like 1

When did they ever say that about whaling? Sounds like a myth to me.

Because that movie totally engendered controversy. Not.

I agree, I'd like to see fishing/whaling (maybe progression from one to the other with bigger ships/profits?).  But they did broach this subject maybe a year ago or so, and there was controversy then.  It's too bad, as I think this would be even more depth to the trading aspect of this game, much like if we (nations/guilds) had to develop mines or plantations for the production of the goods that the ports currently just produce.  Slavery would probably be a bit far, but personally I'd have no problem with it as I enjoy history and dislike making it 'nicer' at the expense of unfortunate facts.

Want this in the game I know will probably not see it do have the game.  Reasons for wanting this it is historical accurate would be a good activity to do for high level that need gold and do not have any friends on.  Before people use the it might offend someone Assassin creed black flag already had whaling in the game.  So would you let Black Flag have a historical aspect over this game.  Also if whaling is added the harder whales to get like sperm whales will try to capsize you whaling vessel so for those whales might need more ships anyways thought this is something needed to give player a fresh new experience and a different dynamic in the game hope to see fishing I saw tuna fish as a resource today. 

Very rarely would a whale capsize/sink your main ship.  They might stove in some small boats (possible commodity that you'd need to replenish in port), but besides Essex, Union and Ann Alexander I haven't heard of any other whaling ships sunk by whales (and Union was not attacked, they accidentally struck the whale).  There was one man known to have been swallowed by a whale and survive (besides Jonah), but I believe that was late 19th/early 20th century.

Edited by AKPyrate

This would be an awesome feature. It would be great for gameplay. All these naysayers crying about pc bs. It's hunting an animal, nothing morally wrong with it(unless your at a vegan kale party). Hunting is not an offensive topic. Obviously whales are protected due to their unrecoverable numbers and it is wrong today. But I can't see a problem with it in a 17th and 18th centuries setting.

If whaling is so immoral. What about far cry 3 and 4. Hunting rare tiger's! Blowing up elephants with c4! If a game can mercilessly kill endangered animals in a modern setting no worries, yet we can't kill nonendangered animals from 300 years ago in a sim? What are people crying about?

Edited by lew_380

I would love to have whaling in game. But do not underestimate the collective power of anti-whaling lobbyists.

The question has nothing to do with the morality of killing. It is simply unneccessary for the Devs to start a fight that is so hot and emotional.

Did I mention that I would love to have whaling in game. I've asked for it previously. But I respect the Devs position.

• 2 years later...
On 2/13/2016 at 8:09 PM, maturin said:

When did they ever say that about whaling? Sounds like a myth to me.

I thought it was a joke first but then I found a quote from admin... how is it different from fishing? If they add a drop to the fishing list that says "Whale", will PETA call? According to a quote from admin that I found in this thread, they even planned on banning tabacco and alcohol from the game first. What the flipping sea cucumber?

• Like 1

Yeah ... fake whaling is taboo ... in a game where people are allowed to be fake pirates that board and sink ships. 

Some people are really crazy nowdays.

BTW we already have fishing, so I do not see what whaling could add.

Edited by victor

19 minutes ago, victor said:

what whaling could add

Real profit. Capturing a loaded whaler back then was like robbing a cash transporter. Also unlike afk fishing there could be zones for it, creating hotspots and competition, similar to patrol zone but larger.

You know how bottles and some fish drop more or only in certain zones? Could be easy to add marked zones on the map for whaling.

Edited by Sovereign