Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LittleJP

Sell Contracts are fine. Buy contracts need to go

I love the econ stuff.  I look forward to the next patch.   Still as things are now I see no problem with the buy contracts.  If things change I am happy to learn.

Lord, natural resources' buy orders are the worst thing for casual players. To get something from them, you need enough money to buy a significant amount of resources for it to be worthy of the travel time AND a nearly constant presence to react quickly to the outbidders. Both things that are lacking when you are a casual player.

At least they should allow a delay between the stocks replenishment and the fulfilling of the orders. For example, a port produce 100 Hemp at 10:00, if at 12:00 nobody bought it directly, the resource goes to the buy orders stacked in town.

Well good thing casuals can make production buildings next patch so they can get resources at base price when they please.

Idea suggestions to alleviate resource shortages:

1)

Players need to have the 'Plantation concept' (1 per player) , and 'Mine concept' (1 per player)

Once a week player can choose a resource to grow (trees, hemp , etc.)

Once a week player can choose a resource to mine (gold, iron ore, etc.)

Developers choose the appropriate yield rates that fit game balancing economy goals.

Port shops need to respond to persistent shortages by increasing or decreasing production (fluctuating production levels depending on excessive demand or supply).

The 'European Traders' concept the devs' have posted about may also be a good tool (concept/game feature) to use.

Inflation levels and excessive player gold possession and its effects on the economy need to be managed by attrition systems toggled by developers when neccessary such as, (ex.) greater chance of ship loss, resource losses when sailing in OW from aggressive NPC fleets, even rouge storms and waves.

A virtual economy is a very difficult thing to code, that doesn't have weaknesses that players may/will exploit, or aspects that eventually will favor the rich, and lock out the poor. It's arguably the most difficult task Game Labs has in front of them -far harder (imo) then Graphics, gun ballistics, or game play.  A well thought out, but yet still actively managed economy that is tweaked with good over sight, is the only solution.

Yes.

Replace the current state run economy that isn't working.

With an even tighter controlled and more complicated state run economy.

Sin Khan, on 08 Mar 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

the problem is the linking of price contracts to inventory. That's the problem. in the real world when you buy a contract it is buying a promise to buy an item for a certain price. It is not, buying future supply and locking it up in a warehouse until picked up. A contract should only be a note that lets a buying get what is available at the port at a set price. Whatever is at the port should be always there until someone physically goes there and buys it.

A contract should only be a promise to buy and not an actual order on future goods production. Otherwise, i can sail down the coast with my cash and place buy orders for all the ore on the east coast and then it sits there waiting for me to grab it up. Right now, it is a millionaire take all supply's system without that player having to actually do any actual trading until the contracts (production) are all filled at all the ports.

Tell me if I am wrong, i am still learning this system, but right now, the inventory is locked to only a few high value trading moguls.

I work in the auto parts manufacturing business we buy allot of steel and aluminum. we always buy with a contract because we need to obtain a constant supply. The contract insures that when we need the materials that our portion is put aside and is ready to be shipped out as soon as possible. if for whatever reason it cant be picked up and the driver gets there late the materials we need will be there on the trailer waiting until it gets picked up. (because we already payed for it due to the contract)

I am willing to bet that all other manufacturing does their buying in a similar fashion. they meet with the supplier draw up a contract for how much they need, when they need it and how much they will be charged for it.  now sometimes when you approach them the first time they have most of their output going to fill other contracts.  they don't under any circumstances take from someone elses contracted order to sell to another because if they cant deliver on their contract they lose money and if they do it often they lose a customer.

contracts are the lifeblood of commerce without them it would be difficult to do business because you would never know when you would get more materials. if you cant get materials you cant fulfill orders(aka buy contracts) for your customers and if the customer cant get the parts they need then they cant keep building the cars. without parts they have to send their workers home or pay them for doing nothing.

I work in the auto parts manufacturing business we buy allot of steel and aluminum. we always buy with a contract because we need to obtain a constant supply. The contract insures that when we need the materials that our portion is put aside and is ready to be shipped out as soon as possible. if for whatever reason it cant be picked up and the driver gets there late the materials we need will be there on the trailer waiting until it gets picked up. (because we already payed for it due to the contract)

I am willing to bet that all other manufacturing does their buying in a similar fashion. they meet with the supplier draw up a contract for how much they need, when they need it and how much they will be charged for it.  now sometimes when you approach them the first time they have most of their output going to fill other contracts.  they don't under any circumstances take from someone elses contracted order to sell to another because if they cant deliver on their contract they lose money and if they do it often they lose a customer.

contracts are the lifeblood of commerce without them it would be difficult to do business because you would never know when you would get more materials. if you cant get materials you cant fulfill orders(aka buy contracts) for your customers and if the customer cant get the parts they need then they cant keep building the cars. without parts they have to send their workers home or pay them for doing nothing.

but in this game you don't have a contract for specific inventory. Not really. Why? Because someone else can out-bid your contract. Did your parts supplier ever say, "Sorry, someone else paid more for your goods, so, your sol". No, because in your case you have a contract for the actual inventory. In this game you only have a price contract. You do not have a contract in this game. You only have a price agreement that someone else can outbid.

If this was a real contract that happened as you say, when the contract is made i am certain to get the contract at a specific time, then that would be different. This game is using an auction system and calling it a contract system. And so, Mr billionaire player who sails to the best ports and buys the best price gets all the supply. 

I have the issue that when a single buy contract exists in a town, I have to sell to this first, even if it is below the npc price. I had to sell 287 iron ore to a contract for 10g, before being able to sell the rest of my cargo to the npc port for 200+g!!!

Totally agree.. buy contracts must be removed from game unless developers can find an unexploitive way for players to use them.

Buying resources that get produced by ports is not an exploit in any way.

This is no longer an issue at all. Economy is now working perfect.  ;)

Edited by ScareCrow

the economy is ruined because you can no longer make millions on a whim. Alright.

exactly ......i laugh at people who say this .... the econ is now better for every one.

(agreeing with Sin Khan^)

What the game calls a 'buy contract' is really in properly terminology more of a 'bid' to buy at a certain price, not a signed legally binding contract. In my opinion a certain amount of the confusion and misunderstandings that occur in this game's design result from mistranslated or incorrectly chosen English words (terms).

Even with the fee involved, we as players a making bids to buy at certain prices, and of course are sometimes are outbid by another player or players.

Edited by LeopoldRNN
  • Like 1