Game-Labs Forum

Land sighted.

Sparse info on this feature went out in the Russian forums so we must share it with everyone. 

We are working on the very big feature now which was taking 90% of the time for the devs and art team. The feature is in development in secret since October. 

We have taught the engine to pull the land from our procedural map into battles.

• If you attack a player in the hispaniola channel you will fight in the hispaniola channel.
  • If you attack a player in a narrow passage you will fight in a narrow passage.
  • Attack a player near land if wind blows towards land he will not escape.
  • Port battles harbors will be based on our map harbors making some ports extremely easy to capture and others impossible to capture.
  • Attack someone near a shore battery spot and you will have to fight under battery fire (this will allow us to eliminate reinforcements button).

This will change the gameplay completely and might ruin the game. Or will make it awesome. 

The feature is in internal testing as there a a lot of spawn problems to be solved. But it plays and feels epic. 

ETA Unknown but hopefully by mid spring it can be given in experimental build for testing. 

This is by far the biggest thing this game needs right now to add an element of strategy to the game.

• Like 1

Sparse info on this feature went out in the Russian forums so we must share it with everyone. 

We are working on the very big feature now which was taking 90% of the time for the devs and art team. The feature is in development in secret since October. 

We have taught the engine to pull the land from our procedural map into battles.

fSjPxJQ.png

• Like 4

It's great news. I'd like to be the voice of slight concern though. The temptation when things like this are implemented is to overdo them to justify all the work that was put in.

I hope not every battle is all of a sudden a map with land. I hope the scale of the OW is taken into consideration. For example, battles initiated in the middle of the Windward Passage should NOT have St. Nicholas and Cuba on either side of the battle instance.

I get concerned when I read that gun batteries will effectively replace reinforcements. Reinforcements currently have a humongous range, compared to the effective range of a gun battery sitting on the shore. Does this mean that every battle initiated within reinforcement range will suddenly place the participants within a cannon shot of shore? This seems highly problematic and immersion killing.

IF done successfully, this land implementation makes this game exponentially better. But I see a lot of risk here. Certain elements of the OW (weather, day cycle) are currently very crude and flawed. I wouldn't like to see a new crude and flawed system added on top of them if there are not plans to absolutely perfect it.

• Like 8

few questions regarding the shore battery's

Will every port have a shore battery?

Will the amount of artillery pieces differ between port sizes, i.e regional capital/capitals have most, and shallow has least?

How will free and neutral ports work? will they not fire on anyone or just not have a battery?

and finally, in the far future will upgrades/modifications or complete destruction of a shore battery be possible?

I'm definitely looking forward to land in battles!