Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lyric

REMOVE Home Capitals

This game is based on history and national areas of the Caribbean are key to the development of RVR, diplomacy etc. .

Sure in that case, in the interest of Historic accuracy, let's get rid of port battles. As Britain had control over a significant amount of the Caribbean for example, they shouldn't be able to lose their ports.

Your points are raising exploitable issues that are already available in the present situation buddy. I don't really see how to counter any of them as they don't hold any relevance.

And the US are cramped around...the US.  What's your point?

How do you think playing a Swede feels, they are crammed in between the Danes and French

The US are cramped in the biggest territory on the map? Okay...

The Swedes are cramped, but they are already the special children. No one expected it to be a picnic when you start with only one port. They also have a much smaller population than the French.

Seriously, I love that you have these differences in the nations. I love that some are cramped while some are not. Why do we need to spread the players over the map? Isn't it a great thing that there are regions with more players and regions where much less players are? We would lose all this with movable capitals.

• Like 2

This will just create Eve corporation type zones where clans allied to each other rather than nations will control vast chunks of the Caribbean. At least the geographic remoteness of some nations currently creates a need at present to fight and possibly use diplomatic means to resolve the state of war that exists. This is not a good suggestion as there will be no need to defend around your capital and the game will be reduced to significant stalemates with the big clans sitting watching each other from their impenetrable enclave with the occasional battle. Thumbs down. This game is based on history and national areas of the Caribbean are key to the development of RVR, diplomacy etc. There will be no need for alliances, diplomacy, difficult fights etc etc, if the biggest clans can just ally together and hold huge areas of the Caribbean. Be very careful.

Yup, this will simply result in a very few clans block voting to dictate a nation's capital, bad idea.

Why do we need to spread the players over the map? Isn't it a great thing that there are regions with more players and regions where much less players are? We would lose all this with movable capitals.

We wouldn't lose anything. Variable population levels are both desirable and inevitable.

Constant traffic jams outside MT, not so much.

We wouldn't lose anything. Variable population levels are both desirable and inevitable.

Constant traffic jams outside MT, not so much.

That's why you can set Outposts, and operate from there if your Capital gets too crowded.

I already suggested in this thread that instead of moving the Capital maybe just the teleport should be able to be assigned to one Outpost once every week.

Edit: Or, if your homeport-outpost gets captured, allow to set a new teleport 24h after capture.

Edited by mirror452

Yup, this will simply result in a very few clans block voting to dictate a nation's capital, bad idea.

It's going to happen regardless, large clans typically dictate the devs course simply due to the money they spend in game. Assuming NA gets a pay shop of course.

Not a good idea the whole purpose of a home port is so it is not capturable  so a nation is not left with nothing if it ever happens. Better solution is to have two ports players can choose, but can't move capitals.  

Capital's never really moved in real life anyway.

Capital's never really moved in real life anyway.

Portugal and Russia come to mind, in this vague era.

These aren't capitals at all, remember. Just the seats of colonial administration.

It is one of the problem we plan to address some day

You should be able to set your home port.

Great to hear, thanks. The Spanish being permanently stuck at La Habana is not feasible long term, with the green tide overtaking their home waters. It is not good for their new players to immediately enter a PvP zone. Glad this is being addressed. Edited by 'Sharpe

Great to hear, thanks. The Spanish being permanently stuck at La Habana is not feasible long term, with the green tide overtaking their home waters. It is not good for their new players to immediately enter a PvP zone. Glad this is being addressed.

*cough* Sweden *cough*

If you don't want to be close to a pvp zone, choose US... for example. And players who don't want PVP can still sail to Mexico, open an Outpost there and play there.

I see many reasonable concerns here but none that justify wandering capitols. I'm not sure why we are discussing capitols when we should simply be discussing the ability to choose your home port in leu of your capital.

I'd say that capitols remain as is but as a nation expands its port ownership then regional capitols could form. They could even form randomly at free towns in the conquered area just for simplicity sake. These regional capitols would be unconquerable unless the opposing nations reduced that nations number of ports. They would then revert to free towns. A player would start at the Capitol, given the option to change his home port immediately and given a free teleport to begin the game.

This is just me brainstorming but I think it would satisfy the needs and concerns of the community at first glance.

The only question I would then ask would be, "is the only purpose of the Capitol to prevent a nation from being entirely wiped off the map?" And is that ok if it is?

• Like 2

[...]

Like it. Except the part with the free towns... Free towns should always stay free.

We already have Regional Capitals. Maybe making them uncapturable if a certain percentage of the towns in their area is captured would be a nice idea. And ofc bind the (damned) teleport to whatever Outpost you like (with a week cooldown!).

Edited by mirror452

Not sure you can counter my points because your suggestion is not a good one, that's pretty clear. Allowing a large clan to suddenly teleport to another region of the Carribean and neglect their responsibilities to their national defence should in no way, shape or form be allowed into the game. RVR is nation on nation, that's the way it needs to stay. The current mechanic allows a clan to move but they have to fight their way to the desired destination which will not be easy, what you look for is a way to bypass that. Plenty of people will disagree with this notion if they look closely at what you are suggesting. A clan the size of DAS, locating themselves with other large allied clans pretty much ends RVR in that region without any of the required effort that current mechanics would require. Hope that helps buddy/pal.

You've mentioned DAS in pretty much every post you've made and I'd ask for a second time to bring up any issues on teamspeak where I'd be happy to have a friendly chat with you, instead of using your problems to create wrong, biased opinions of game changing mechanics. It seems we're going to have to agree to disagree buddy. Although as pointed out in I think the 3rd post the Devs too disagree with you

Edited by Monkey Bullet

It's going to happen regardless, large clans typically dictate the devs course simply due to the money they spend in game. Assuming NA gets a pay shop of course.

The bulk of money spent on, and in (if a shop is created), the game comes from outside the big clans. It's a fatal mistake for a dev to allow their plans to be overly influenced by the very vocal clans because their view is usually skewed. They don't represent the majority of players and their desires would rarely result in a better game for anybody except themselves. This is nothing against the clans themselves in the slightest, simply something that is proved true in every mmo I've ever played.

Although as pointed out in I think the 3rd post the Devs too disagree with you

I believe they said that players should be able to choose their home port... Nothing about moving Capitals.

• Like 1

One thing I like about a home capital is that if I don't play for a week or two (likely at the moment due to servers going down in AU prime time for hours) I don't lose all my ships!!! 

If one is going to allow capital changes and therefore the loss of the original capital perhaps allow me to send my ships to Paris or London when I am not using them.... so they are presumably safe there.

EDIT: Perhaps a little like age of empires 3 had a home port you could order stuff from.

That's why people store their valuables in free towns.

I also hate the idea of capitials it pretends alot of gameplay simply by making people flock around the capitial. Its made worst by the fact that we have a teleport in game that is connected to the capitial making people always use the cap as their main city.

I understand the idea of having them is so that noobs can have a place to start, and no nation can be wiped off the map but I feel like it could be done in a better light. Maybe make it so the last port remaining for a nation can't be lost, however no port is a capital and allow people to set their teleport to wherever they like, or get rid of it.

I believe they said that players should be able to choose their home port... Nothing about moving Capitals.

You should read all the "points" posted by Piet, you seemed to have missed a trick.

As to a previous point made from another player: leaving 70% of the map untouched is a waste, and doesn't do anyone any good

Edited by Monkey Bullet

leaving 70% of the map untouched is a waste, and doesn't do anyone any good

It is not a waste. In the real world we are also not spread over the land like butter on a bread.

This will just create Eve corporation type zones where clans allied to each other rather than nations will control vast chunks of the Caribbean. At least the geographic remoteness of some nations currently creates a need at present to fight and possibly use diplomatic means to resolve the state of war that exists. This is not a good suggestion as there will be no need to defend around your capital and the game will be reduced to significant stalemates with the big clans sitting watching each other from their impenetrable enclave with the occasional battle. Thumbs down. This game is based on history and national areas of the Caribbean are key to the development of RVR, diplomacy etc. There will be no need for alliances, diplomacy, difficult fights etc etc, if the biggest clans can just ally together and hold huge areas of the Caribbean. Be very careful.

For once, I have to agree with Piet. 

In relation to the OP, having the option to choose where your "home town" is, won't help with a spread of players over the map. In fact, it will cluster them more. It will simply concentrate large groups of two factions at the borders of contested zones. So instead of having clusters of one nation around their current capitals, you will get superclusters of two nations around the "fronts", with big empty spaces in between. Good for PVP probably, but it will make most of the world feel empty.

• Like 1

Its not Danmark teritory produce Danish Beer. Danes people do this. If they move, danish beer move too.

Not necessarily.

Mercantilism and marketing can get in the way. Beer producers in Copenhagen don't want the colonies producing their own goods. This defeats the whole purpose of having colonies. And is it really Danish beer when produced in the tropical heat from inferior materials? Or is it a cheap knock-off?

It is one of the problem we plan to address some day

You should be able to set your home port. 

That would be a nice change Admin, it's good that you're thinking about it.

HAY QUE CAMBIAR LA CAPITAL ESPAÑOLA. NO DEBE ESTAR EN MEDIO DE TODAS LAS NACIONES 4 FRENTES SON DEMASIADOS. PORQUE LOS AMERICANOS SOLO TIENEN UNO SOLO. EL SUR.

CUANDO ESTO OCURRA QUE IMPLEMENTEN MAS CAMBIOS, PERO ESTO ES PRIORIDAD.

Get rid of the TP. Its does not only kill the immerssion of the game but it also creates nija assaults to be a thing and that sucks. People wanna play a naval sim mmo then face it its a naval gam sailing long distances is part of it and TP is bullSh*t

• Like 2