Game-Labs Forum
Uzii

The current blueprint drop mechanic needs adjusting. Thoughts?

364 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a revision of the random blueprint drop mechanic so that it is less luck based?

• Yes, the current system benefits very few people and needs to change.
    • No, it's fine as it is.

I think most of us can agree that the luck based Blueprint drops aren't really benefiting the game. Up until recently it went fairly unnoticed as the ships most people wanted were the default ones crafter's unlocked through pure levelling. As we get more and more players wanting ships above the Frigate now, the problem is becoming more and more evident. The sheer number of Tríncomalee requests now are clear evidence that a bottleneck is forming. And it will only get worse as the average player gets higher and higher in their rank.

This beautiful game has 24 craftable ships, a mere 8 of which are available to everyone. That's one third. The devs should be encouraging the use of a variety of ships by the player base, not making it as difficult as possible for people to acquire them(the XP barriers do that well enough). It also does horrid things to the costs of the rare ships, as the few who have got the blueprints can effectively charge a lot more than they are worth due to lack of competition. 

There are probably a lot of different ways this current blueprint system could be changed. My personal suggestions would either be the ability to craft the rare ship blueprints with Crafting Notes. Maybe 10-15 for the lower level blueprints, all the way up to 100+ for the 1st Rates. Yes this would cause Gold to increase in value, but at least there would be an obtainable goal crafter's could work towards.

Or perhaps use the breaking down of said ship to award a "scrap" of a blueprint. 10 Scraps unlocks it to craft, maybe more scraps for higher rate ships. Again, it might not be the most elegant system, but at least you give players an obtainable goal, not this luck based rubbish we have now.

The current system favourers very few people, and over all hurts the diversity of ships in the game.

• Like 6

Yes

The change is coming in the next big patch. 

Blueprint learning will depend on the crafting level. 

• Like 33

Yes

Definetely looking forward to this!

• Like 1

Yes

That's great news,

Currently lvl 26 and it's frustrating when you see someone receiving a Surprise BP on his first Cerberus crafted, surprise he don't even have yet the level required to build it while yourself crafted 7 or 8 Cerberus in exceptional quality and had simply no luck with BP drops.

Thanks a lot for making some changes in this system.

• Like 1

Yes

Does that mean that you will just automatically learn blueprints at certain levels, or that you will get a bonus to their drop chance as your crafting level gets higher. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I kind of like that two crafters of the same level might not be able to build the same ships as each other. I am not sure how I would feel about someone who slowly levels up crafting through manufacturing carriages or something to sell being able to make any ship they want later on. 

That's great news,

Currently lvl 26 and it's frustrating when you see someone receiving a Surprise BP on his first Cerberus crafted, surprise he don't even have yet the level required to build it while yourself crafted 7 or 8 Cerberus in exceptional quality and had simply no luck with BP drops.

Thanks a lot for making some changes in this system.

It was my 3rd Cerberus. My 2nd Surprise got the Renomme BP. 
Edited by Pirate

Yes

YES :D!!!! Thank you so much Devs!!!! I prayed so much to the Pig Cloud for that!!!! Thank You!!!!! :D  :D  :D   

Edited by Red Jack Walker

Yes

1) will already learned BP's be affected by this ?

2) Acquiring a ship does not depend on crafting level, so how would this work with BP's from breaking up ships ? 

Yes

60014929.jpg

I prayed so much to the Pig Cloud for that!!!!

I've done that too. That shows us The Pig Cloud has not left us but has ascended and is still among us.

Edited by jodgi
  • Like 4

hm...I don't know. As muchs the chance drop can be a source of frustration it serves in balancing out the amount of ships produced. And it kept me kinda hooked.

I hope the chance system is not completely removed, just changed with a better drop rate.

Keep the random drops while crafting (crafting notes as well)- for me it added suspense to an otherwise pretty dull bussiness.

Also, what's about breaking up ships now? If the rate of mats recovered stays low as it is and BP drops are level based that feature seems now completely meaningless and should be looked into as well!

• Like 4

Yes

Excellent news. Though I would have settled for just different ways to acquire them, but still, at least everyone will be on a level playing field.

Yes

I hope that by this you mean players will only be able to get rare blueprints once they reach the level needed for that ship and not the fact that they will learn all ships as soon as they reach the corresponding level. Seriously if there is no rarity and difficulty in getting recipes you might as well leave one, max 2 craft able ships per rank, since if everyone starting next patch can instantly craft Trincomallee you might aswell remove the Frigate and BellePuole from the game.

• Like 2

Yes

What if breaking up a vessel would automatically teach you the BP, provided you expended a number of crafting notes equal to the quality level of the captured ship?

You can add randomness to crafting with the current system of a chance of crafting note. You could even spice it up by a small chance of a crafted ship being 1 quality level higher then expected.

You could even add a super rare 'platinum' tier that can only be produced if you get a lucky up tier while crafting a gold ship...

• Like 1

I like some randomness or it's all a bit boring and systemic..

this! It makes also some ships a bit rarer and less spammy. Dedicated crafters will also have a better chance to truely unlock the whole BP tree.

Just climbing up the Blue Print ladder is plain dull.

• Like 2

Nothing bad with a bit of chance, the problem is if you get truely bad luck and your 5% turns out that instead of 20 (statistically) tries you did 50 and have no result showing.

To dampen this, probably increase the percent change off a new blueprint by a few % with each attempt of a predecessor ship (increasing value the higher up the tree, since ships get pretty damn expensive and its easier to get 20 cerbs than 20 victory) will help  make sure that after some work you will get it very likely with each attempt, becoming guaranteed at a very far point. After all each attempt at something improves your understanding and experience in it and should make a transition to more complex works easier.

Yeah the randomness is a good thing to an extent, its more interesting than just a simple ladder.
I think folks could do with more info on how gaining BP's works though. I've got all the BP's in short order but its hard to tell if its my method or just pure RNG.

Yeah the randomness is a good thing to an extent, its more interesting than just a simple ladder.

I think folks could do with more info on how gaining BP's works though. I've got all the BP's in short order but its hard to tell if its my method or just pure RNG.

Cmdr Thrudd, maybe it's a little bit off topic, but can you describe your method, please? I'm literally desperate at this point and ready to try almost everything :( !

Cmdr Thrudd, maybe it's a little bit off topic, but can you describe your method, please? I'm literally desperate at this point and ready to try almost everything :( !

Sure thing. The key for me seemed to be to build all the lower linked ships and work my way up the tree. Don't just grind XP to level, craft every ship with notes. Apart from two basics I made getting to lvl 5 I've made all ships common or above, mainly exceptional

Using the ship crafting path as a reference (http://www.navalactioncraft.com/blueprints)

Lets say I wanted to discover the surprise. I'd first have to discover & build the mercury and the cerb. After at least one of each I'd get the blueprint for the surprise. Then after building some surprises as I'd built the merc & cerberus previously. I'd get the Renomme. And so on.

I've not had to make more than 3 of any ship to get the next discovery, a few I've got on my first craft. I'm lvl 36 and have all the BP's up to Constitution.

This could all be pure luck but another friend of mine who had been struggling getting bp's started to follow this advice and got 3 new discoveries in a row. (Mercury, Surprise, Renommee) where as before he'd just been grinding cerbs trying to get the surprise.

Edited by Cmdr Thrudd
  • Like 1

Good luck, I hope it works for you too! :)

Good Sir, I have used the same method in my shipyards, but alas! Luck seems still very unfavourable to me. The Surprise should be renamed into Luck Sheerness or at least her well-renowned Master and Commander should hence be known as Lucky Drop rather than Jack.

Still, I find this to be very engaging and the day the secrets of building a magnificent ship like the Surprise will be shed with me will be a lucky one.

(AkA Please Devs do not entirely remove the luck based drops for high tier ships- balance it instead  :) )

The random element is as of now the only thing that ads spice to the crafting system!