Game-Labs Forum

High GPU temperature only in this game.

GuillePtZ

Hello.

I just recently bought this game, and I must say it is amazing.

However, I did not enjoy it as much as I should have because of this... issue?

I noticed that when playing this game, my graphics card temperature was over 70ºC. It may or may not be a big deal, but I am always overly worried with this kind of stuff.

It only happens with this game. I play a lot of more demanding games (for instance.. The Witcher 3, GTA V, Total War.. you get the idea) and temperature never gets above 64ºC, never. Other less demanding games (for example, Dark Souls 2) don't even get past 56ºC.

My GPU is a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 770 OC.

I just wish to know if it is normal.. if there is any danger.. what could I do... etc.

Thank you very much for your time.

P.S.: I should mention that setting every graphical setting to low just lowers the temperature by 2ºC.

Edited by GuillePtZ

My r9 390x runs at 78 Overclocked and all works good. 

Temperatures in the low 70s under load are normal. 83 is pushing it a bit. It's not immediately dangerous, but it's a sign that it might eventually lower the card's lifespan, so it would be best to try to improve airflow to lower it. 

CyberPower-Viper-airflow.jpg

My new grafik adapter (gtx980 ti) melted a month before at playing Naval Action :( . I sended it back to the shop which sold it to me and tomorrow i will receive a new one. Hopefully it will not happen again (with my old grafik adapter i have around 40 frames now, the gtx980ti was over 100 all the time)

Thank all of you for replying.

I get around 50 frames in open world, and around 70 in battle (except when there is a lot of smoke). Everything maxed except for AA and anisotropic filtering.

Yesterday I did lock the frames. I have not noticed any change, maybe a couple of ºC.

So, is 70 to 74ºC fine?

Interesting. I have nothing even remotely close to that with my ATI. Also I never ever OC any components.

I setup my own airflow from leftovers. 3 12 inches fans together ( turbine, all 3 same model for rotation synch ) intake, a 20 on the side and another 2 12 on the back. Not a dime spent.

My new grafik adapter (gtx980 ti) melted a month before at playing Naval Action :( . I sended it back to the shop which sold it to me and tomorrow i will receive a new one. Hopefully it will not happen again (with my old grafik adapter i have around 40 frames now, the gtx980ti was over 100 all the time)

That sounds like a defective card. My r9 295x2 is sitting at 51 right now, but in the summer when inside the apartment is around 26 celcius the card will get in the 70s range.

strange that some of you are getting high GPU temps...the fans on my GTX 970 aren't even spinning.

different architectures, different cases, different fans, different air, dust all are factors to temps, so sometimes the numbers arent comparable

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the game today after many months of not doing so, after 20 seconds into the world, my GPU started to heat up! It reached a whopping 92 Degrees Celcius! I have only had this so far with the Early Access game Squad, that is also a game in development but it barely does this anymore after some optimizations done in a patch and never had it with other games before. I got a AMD Radeon R9 290x.

I tried the game today after many months of not doing so, after 20 seconds into the world, my GPU started to heat up! It reached a whopping 92 Degrees Celcius! I have only had this so far with the Early Access game Squad, that is also a game in development but it barely does this anymore after some optimizations done in a patch and never had it with other games before. I got a AMD Radeon R9 290x.

Which one exactly do you have? is it a referance cooler? is it MSI twin frozr? etc.

do you have a case with good airflow?

the r9 290x is good up to a temperature of 95C so you are still within the safe limit.

I forgot to mention that I kinda "fixed it", as Sartarius said, by locking the frames, 30 in the open world (I dont really need more) and 60 in battle. Temperature stays at 62 in OW and 68ish in battle. Still the only game I own to reach that temperature, but it is completely fine now. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I kinda "fixed it", as Sartarius said, by locking the frames, 30 in the open world (I dont really need more) and 60 in battle. Temperature stays at 62 in OW and 68ish in battle. Still the only game I own to reach that temperature, but it is completely fine now. Thanks!

That is due to the game being heavy on the GPU so locking FPS makes sure you dont "waste" resources for higher fps thus generating more heat/using more power, it is a fix indeed, not the best one though but it works. Another thing that can be done is increase the fan speeds on gpu

Which one exactly do you have? is it a referance cooler? is it MSI twin frozr? etc.

do you have a case with good airflow?

the r9 290x is good up to a temperature of 95C so you are still within the safe limit.

It is a MSI Twin, case has excellent airflow, does not even go over 60 degrees when its really hot in the summer. But im gonna try and do the 30 fps lock. And is there a graphic option that is the most GPU heavy? Shadows? AA?

It is a MSI Twin, case has excellent airflow, does not even go over 60 degrees when its really hot in the summer. But im gonna try and do the 30 fps lock. And is there a graphic option that is the most GPU heavy? Shadows? AA?

AA is the main FPS consumer

Yes, i tried to lower the AA from 4x to 2x, its running less hot, but the biggest help was locking the frames at 30, this keeps the gpu nice and cool! So until its more optimized i stick with this.