Game-Labs Forum

PLEASE charge me a monthly subscription to play this game!

I've already paid for this game (purchased 3 copies,) but I want to continue to pay for it once it goes into final release.

I don't want to pay a lot, but I really want Game Labs to charge me a modest subscription fee. ($5 to $10 per month seems about right.)   

Why do I want to pay a subscription fee?     It's because I want Game Labs to make this game something that will be attractive to long term players.  

If all of the revenue is earned on initial game sales, then the incentives are for Game Labs to dumb the game down and make it appealing to the broadest possible base.  Financially, it won't matter if people get bored of the game after a month and stop playing, because there's no money to be made by keeping players interested and engaged long-term.   There's also no incentive to keep supporting the game.  (Remember Hellgate, London?)  

With a subscription model, there is a greater incentive to make the game interesting for long-term players and keep the game challenging and fresh.    A subscription would also provide an income stream to fund improvements.  

So, please, take more of my money.  I want Game Labs to work hard to keep the long term players happy, and without a subscription model, I don't think the incentives are correctly aligned.  

• Like 4

No. The number of players is already low at it is, a monthly subscription would make the game empty. 

And giving advantages to people paying for a subscription would make it unfair.

I'm sure you can buy more copies of the same so you can have more characters, or wait for devs to release premium ships if you really want to give devs some money. You can even give free copies to your friends !

Please consider that a lot of people DONT have a lot of money to spend into games, nor do they want people with money privilegied.

Edited by Azzak
  • Like 4

No. The number of players is already low at it is, a monthly subscription would make the game empty. 

I'm sure you can buy more copies of the same so you can have more characters, or wait for devs to release premium ships if you really want to give devs some money. You can even give free copies to your friends !

Please consider that a lot of people DONT have a lot of money to spend into games, nor do they want people with money privilegied.

I try not to judge, but if people can't afford .33 cents a day they're probably better off not spending $40 on a game to start with.

• Like 1

This.

Also, the industry as a whole is moving away from monthly subscription because it puts potential players off. The upfront single payment and then paid for major upgrades seem to be the best compromise between monthly subscription, which a lot of people don't like and the 'Free to play' with micropayments which also a lot of people don't like.

I try not to judge, but if people can't afford .33 cents a day they're probably better off not spending $40 on a game to start with.

It doesn't necessarily have to do with being able to pay or not, it is a matter of opinion and principles, your point is moot.

I agreed on paying sum X to get my hands on this title.

If they would (I know they won't) later, out of the blue, demand monthly payment, that would be ridiculous - like the original post.

If you want to throw your money at them, I think they mentioned that donations will be a possibility sooner or later.

So there you go.

/thread

• Like 1

This.

Also, the industry as a whole is moving away from monthly subscription because it puts potential players off. The upfront single payment and then paid for major upgrades seem to be the best compromise between monthly subscription, which a lot of people don't like and the 'Free to play' with micropayments which also a lot of people don't like.

I'm curious to the trend. Is it a younger generation of gamer? Those that have been inundated with the absolute flood of free to play games on the market. Being a seasoned online gamer, it was always a subscription model for MMO's. Without naming names there are other niche games that use subscription models that thrive. I of course realize that maybe some people simply can't afford a monthly subscription. But I have to agree with the OP, take more of my money. This game has so much potential and future development requires funding.

• Like 2

Game Labs said that MAYBE, if they don't get enough money through sales (anymore), they will add the opportunity to buy Premium vessels. However they also said that the only advantage of these Premium vessels will be their beauty, and that none of them will be better than their player crafted counter parts. So there you go... Throw your money at them this way, if they decide that they need it.

That being said, I agree that a monthly subscription would be very sad for many players. I for one would have to leave the game then, no matter how low this subscription would be :(

Edited by mirror452

Why do I want to pay a subscription fee?     It's because I want Game Labs to make this game something that will be attractive to long term players.  

I think they could make free donation possibility for you and guys who want pay what they have to devs. Problem could be solved without talking for whole population to make them lose they money, because you want to lose own. Thanks.

btw, they already said that long term attractivity isn't they goal here.

It's not .33 cents per day if you don't play daily. The main reason for me to don't play subscription based games is, that they don't have a fine granular measurement of time spend in the game. I don't want to pay 12 euro per month if I only play for 3 hours in 3 days that month.

I think they could make free donation possibility for you and guys who want pay what they have to devs. Problem could be solved without talking for whole population to make them lose they money, because you want to lose own. Thanks.

btw, they already said that long term attractivity isn't they goal here.

What exactly would long term be in their context I wonder.

Okay no subscription model so we dont lose player base.

No premium ships because everyone hates pay to win.

But some people would still like to support the devs somehow to help and ensure this game lives up to its full potential.

I suggest they simply open back up their paypal account or have a , "hey wanna donate some money" button.

Id happily donate money to the devs regularly to ensure they continually work to improve game play.

i dont think there are problems with over longtime with Naval Action.

the only problem is that our 80+ people playing the game migth disapear.

Buy2Play you buyed the game fine nothing for you to pay further.

for people that want to donate money there will be a cosmetic shop.

be it figureheads flags banners, or just a resking of an 12gun fore and aft ship (Yacht).

and when looking at the markedquality these days an 10/10 from IGN mean nothing.

I would like to be able to continue playing this game several years after release.  

Bottom line is that without some sort of funding model that allows for continued support of the game, that isn't going to happen.  

It doesn't have to be a subscription.  It could be microtransactions, premium content or something else.   

If the financial model is just based on game sales, then the game will have a relatively short life, which would be sad.  

• Like 1

It doesn't necessarily have to do with being able to pay or not, it is a matter of opinion and principles, your point is moot.

I agreed on paying sum X to get my hands on this title.

If they would (I know they won't) later, out of the blue, demand monthly payment, that would be ridiculous - like the original post.

If you want to throw your money at them, I think they mentioned that donations will be a possibility sooner or later.

So there you go.

/thread

They could add a subscription later, voluntarily, like star citizen. nothing in the star citizen subscription gives you an advantage, nor is it mandatory, it gives you some silly display piece and lets you contribute for their 10 for the chairman/developer/whatever series. Whereas in NA they could let you dye your sails or something while adding the money to run servers/development. Quite frankly your point is moot, they can easily add an option without it being mandatory. 

They are talking about minor cosmetic microtransactions to keep the game going. I'd be fully supportive of things like (realistic) custom flags, sail colors, and paint jobs. There is no need for monthly subscriptions at this point, and I believe that the developers of the game mentioned in an interview about a week ago that they will try to avoid that means of revenue if at all possible.