Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JJWolf

Where has all the Merc BPs gone?

Ok, this is going to be a rant segment on the drop rates.

Prior to my latest shenanigans I have made plenty of ships including 10x Snows. Now I'm grinding to get a Merc BP so here I am crafting up a storm making Snows and selling them (see Pics below for evidence), but I'll be buggered if I can get a Merc BP to drop. In the last 8 days I have crafted and sold 10x Snows, 1x Cerb and 1x Crafting Note and in the process have acquired 2x crafting notes, but where has all the Merc BPs gone? Why is the drop rate so god damned low? I can craft Frigates if I want (lvl 25) but all I am trying to do is get a Merc BP to put a few on the market at reasonable prices, is it so much to ask?

Sales2.jpg

Sales1.jpg

/end rant

If anyone is wondering on the high sale rate, I build quality ships and price them low so they are affordable for new captains.

Can I suggest to the Admins/Devs to please increase the % chance drop rate as someone crafts more and more of one type of ship? How expensive is it going to get when I get sick of this and start grinding Frigates for a Trinc BP?

• Like 5

Add another Snow to the list with another Crafting note drop, at least I've started to get crafting notes instead of me crafting them to use in some of the Snows.

:angry:

/end rant 2

I also suggested the same in another thread. I was building only cerbersu from level 19-29 (only golden) and continued with frigates and got not one singel blueprint (i am craft level 35)

I had something similar happen when I was hunting for the merc BP. In the end I captured and broke down NPC mercs to get it. If you look around there are some areas with a lot of NPCs (mostly french) running around in mercs with no fleets. They are pretty easy to pick off and break down.

Same problem here. I crafted dozens of Cerbs or Mercs without finding any Blue Print. Since Mercury BP, I had not a single BP drop, and now I'm at level 25! I love crafting :wub: , and I'm grateful to the Devs for having implemented it into the game :) , but relating crafting progression to luck is wrong and, I have to admit, quite frustrating :angry: . So please Devs, at least increase our chanches to get a BP as we craft ships after ships, or please increase that chance if I craft a quality ship instead of a basic one (today I crafted a blue umpteenth Cerb with obviously no BP drop...).  Thank you in advance from a demoralized crafter ;) !     

The BP drop rate is terrible, friend tried getting a Surprise BP, 20 attempts and nothing, he's trying now for a Trinc and doubt he will get that, they need to fix it.

I got my Mercury BP drop on my first attempt at crafting a PICKLE

• Like 1

It is very very random... I crafted 20 something low level ships and the only BP I got was a Trader Brig and zero craft notes.  Then for some reason the pendulum swung..  I crafted 3 cerbs and got 3 surprise BP's, which I gave to clan members,  then I crafted a frigate and got a Belle-Poule BP.

Interestingly, though,  in the now 40 - 45 ships I have crafted for sale and the clan, I have received a grand total of 3 Crafting Notes throughout and most ships of cerb and above which have been clan ships have been exceptional level. 

I know of at least 2 people now who on crafting a cerb got BOTH a surprise AND a Renommee BP drop..  I seriously hope they bought a lottery ticket when that happened.

I am sure the pendulum will swing again though but since I can build Craft Notes and I need BP's to drop, I would rather get the BP's :)

Malice

I also got a merc BP on a brig craft. Made a brig, proced navy brig, made that, proced mercury. Wonder if it's really that rng or some ships have a higher chance of getting them.

That's RNG for you. Can't say i'm a fan of it. Same with Modul drops, some People have all the luck, getting one Mastercraft Upgrade after the other, and some get nothing. I know one guy who build 2 Frigates and got 2 Trinco BP's out of it. RNG.... just not fair.

Edited by Xoosch

Bad luck? i crafted one Brig and got a Mercury BP ....

Edited by Meraun

In the earlier, pre-EA, 'Crafting is no Fun' thread this problem was mentioned repeatedly. Recipe drops are purely RNG driven and players with bad luck get screwed.

Methods of increasing the odds of a recipe drop as a player's crafting level rose were suggested, but those suggestions were apparently ignored. Very frustrating.

BTW, yesterday I crafted 2 Snows and got 2 Merc BP -- <insert eyeroll smiley here>.

Edited by GrapeShot

Yes, this is a legitimate problem. I don't have it as bad as some others, but I've crafted probably about 15 ships of varying types and have only gotten a single BP - for a privateer early on.

I've been somewhat lucky with BP drops from crafting, but I've never gotten one from breaking up a ship. I don't have a lot to complain about, but I can still identify a poorly designed game mechanic even when it hasn't affected me.

I think all in all, crafters are just dissatisfied with the RNG-based system. What I would ask the devs (assuming they read all the threads) is, "Why have you designed the game this way?" Do you think it makes for a better game to have players randomly rewarded with BP's for crafting? Does it mimic reality? It feels like you designed it this way because it was really simple to implement. No data to track -- just roll a number after each ship is crafted and look on a table.

BP's are critical to crafters. When you make them completely random, you're really saying to the crafters, "We don't care if you progress in the thing you care most about, even if you create lots of ships. You'll progress whenever the number generator says you will, not when you've actually 'earned' anything through your work". You can pretty much guess what our general reaction to that kind of system is.

I understand that you want a "luck" factor involved, you want some variation. Fine. But you can have your luck factor and reward persistence if you'd simply make the blueprint drop rate cumulative for each ship for each player. Just record a drop percentage on each character record for each BP and increment the percentage with each appropriate ship crafting. It will still be random, but if you add the correct amount on each ship, players can be guaranteed to progress at some point. People will also feel like they are "learning" to craft a given ship, because they will find that they rarely get a BP drop the first or second time they craft a given ship, but they often get it by the tenth. Of course, we haven't "learning" anything, but the game mechanic approximates it, and that's satisfying. What you have now -- and I think I can safely say I speak for the majority of crafters -- is not. I may have been lucky with my drops, but there was nothing "satisfying" in getting lucky from my crafting.

• Like 2

well i am most likely gonna get flamed for this but i like it the way it is. sure i have crafted alot of snows , pickels and no BP dropped but everytime i click that craft button , i have both fingers crossed. so it is a thrill for me. i do admit i was against it at the beginning.  after crafting for a while i liked it very much. fustrating sometimes , hell yeah , but it is a thrill when ya get a bp or crafting note.

well i am most likely gonna get flamed for this but i like it the way it is. sure i have crafted alot of snows , pickels and no BP dropped but everytime i click that craft button , i have both fingers crossed. so it is a thrill for me. i do admit i was against it at the beginning.  after crafting for a while i liked it very much. fustrating sometimes , hell yeah , but it is a thrill when ya get a bp or crafting note.

Boombox, I perfectly understand your point of view, but you are supposed to get that thrilling feeling from a close battle, not from crafting a ship... ;)

Edited by Red Jack Walker