Game-Labs Forum

Rolling Front vs Rolling Back (Tutorial)

Ned Loe

It was my understanding that rolling or random fire is used to prevent the ship's hull from being damaged by the combined force of all cannons going off at once. 

I'm basing this assumption on O'Brian's 4th book, The Mauritius Command, where Jack fires the Raisonnable's cannons in a slow methodical rolling fire to prevent her from tearing apart. So I might be completely wrong :P

That might actually make sense, as usually the cannon barrels were tied with a thick rope to the hull wall to catch them on recoil. Now theoretically, if you imagine they somehow manage to fire all guns almost at once, together, I can indeed imagine that when 80 gun barrels pull at the hull wall at once, it might tear apart or take damage at least...

Good point, sir!

A quote from Patrick O'Brian's 11th novel, The Reverse of the Medal: Aubrey/Maturin series, book 11

GDb3bYD.png

Just about a day later when I've read this here read that part of the book... :)

• Like 1

I have tried to use the L or R brackets [  or ] to fire a simultaneous broadside - sometimes it triggers the broadside but more often nothing happens and I have to switch to mouse control. Is the a sequence of events to use the brackets?? It would help if someone who has had success with the brackets as a firing mechanism could give instructions in detail as to their use - I am obviously doing something wrong.