Game-Labs Forum

Better sailing dynamics

Hi there!

I have decided to post regarding some of the sailing dynamics in Naval action. Please note that my suggestion is only for in battle sailing. 

As a tall ship sailor in real life, I am really excited about Naval Action overall. I have been playing for just over a week now and really enjoy the game. One area that I noticed right after being in my first battle was the sailing dynamics of the ships. Yes, they are quite realistic for a video game however I see an area which should be improved, square sails. Currently, you are able to sail very close to the wind with the square sail set and not suffer a speed penalty. In real life, if you have your square sail set and you are above, say 45 degrees to the wind, your square sail will slow the vessel down. I really think there should be a speed penalty for the square sail being set if a vessel is pointing too high. 

Of course, this would make the game a bit more challenging however, whats a good game without a challenge?  :)

Keep up the good work!

theTopsail

Well, there's a couple of problems here.  First off is gameplay.  I seem to recall that they did this earlier, and with testing there were borders to the battle.  The battles just tended to keep creeping to leeward.  Realistic, probably, but harder for gameplay.  So, pointing a bit better with a square rigger was a compromise.  Secondly, there is no way to douse just the square sails.  For many boats, sailing with just stays'ls wouldn't be a realistic option anyway (how many frigates do you see running around with all stays'ls and no squares set?).  We can douse just the stays'ls, as they do provide quite a bit of thrust in game, especially when working to windward.  Sometimes they would overpower the squares and sailing backwards or stopping was impossible without dousing everything.

While the actual angles are a bit off, the mechanics of square sails slowing the boat down considerably are in place.  Point too high with a square rigger (and I'm not talking Lynx or Privateer here), and you'll notice a considerable speed drop.  The sails do eventually back as well.  The stays'ls are still probably a bit overpowered compared to real life, but there was an issue in an earlier patch of not being able to tack any vessel without bringing it to a stop and usually gaining sternway.  While this may have been realistic for some of the larger and ungainly ships of the line, it is not how the smaller vessels generally maneuver (sailed tall ships myself back in the day); they would retain enough momentum through a turn to still have forward motion.

So in short (finally, right?), it's a compromise for gameplay as this is not a simulation, but an action game played by many who don't even know what a baggywrinkle is.

• Like 2

Are we talking in Open world or in battle? because in both if you sail head on into the wind you come to a complete stop in both cases.  Also in both cases ships do sail at lower speeds.

I, at least, was talking in battle.  Open world is completely different and definitely modified for gaming convenience.  Heck, it wasn't too long ago that in OW the yards didn't change angle at all, regardless of relative wind angle.  Additionally, it's possible to sail a brig at 10 kts closer to the wind than modern racing boats are able to point.  It's obviously a gaming convenience.  Really, who wants to be stuck in port because they can't sail until the winds change?

The stays'ls are still probably a bit overpowered compared to real life, but there was an issue in an earlier patch of not being able to tack any vessel without bringing it to a stop and usually gaining sternway.

A lot overpowered. But it makes up for the fact that the square sails don't blanket each other, and it ends up mostly a wash.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know some of the mechanics behind my idea could be difficult to incorporate into the game and I do see how it could turn some players away. They could add a basic form of this however. 

"...but an action game played by many who don't even know what a baggywrinkle is." 

I am so happy to see someone mention a baggywrinkle, you have no idea! 

• Like 1