Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ship of the line'.
HMS Glatton 56-gun ship built for the East India Company , it was purchased by the Royal Navy in 1795 and converted into a warship. His artillery was composed only of " carronades " - heavy pieces short barrel for close combat and requiring much less gunners to serve them. The " carronades " inflicted terrible damage by sweeping the deck of opposing ship . The French suffered cruelly this English innovation before adopting a few years later. In 1801 HMS Glatton was commanded by Captain Bligh (future commander of the Bounty ) who distinguished himself in the eyes of Nelson.