Firstly my apologies if has been suggested or tried before, but with Admin talking about improving AI and giving them ranks or whatever this would also tie into that idea and create a actions/consequence open world (both on PvE and PvP servers).
Overall suggestion is to create a notoriety system where you sink a national AI you gain notoriety points say 1 for 7th rate, 2 for 6th etc for PvE server and for PvP kills on war server double points. Port battle participants winning an enemy national port would also gain points based on port BR so say 1% (5000 BR port 50 notoriety).
- Every point is translated both to a real reward for killer (pvp server) say 1000 reals per point recieved in loot as a bonus and notoriety for that nation for sunken player taken to zero again for kill (when bounty claimed).
- Every point gained vs a nation is chance AI fleets of that nation will try to intercept player say max out at 250 points for example (could have bigger range of AI response and 1000 cap and affect response of AI) - every 4 points is 1% chance. Perhaps modified down for BR higher BR AI fleets so for instance a fleet of lineships would need good reason to chase a solo frigate. Perhaps when people group average out notoriety of group for AI response, again modify by BR so roughly equal BR AI fleet will translate to 1% per 4 points, but double BR fleet maybe 1% per 16 points and below 80% of BR of player won't engage (scale till seems possible but not all time).
- Every player will have notoriety points for all enemy nations so currently 6; for example, also create names for each band of 50 (Troublesome to Enemy of the Crown for example)
Notoriety of Post Captain Hardy
France : 20 (Troublesome) (5% chance french AI will chase/react)
Prussia: 100 (Bounty Known) (25% chance prussian AI will react)
Sweden: 250 (Wanted by the Crown) (100% Swede AI will give chase)
- Create national board so players of nation can see how much bounty is on who, to create hunt for players most active against a nation (promote pvp).
- Perhaps create leaderboard where most wanted by total bounty (all nations added together), inspecting via chat find player would reveal bounties by nation.
- Sinking and claiming bounties from another nation decreases notoriety, claimed by entering foreign port. So for example:
"British Captain Hardy is intercepted by Russian Captain Ivor, and Ivor after a long battle sinks Hardy, he gains usual rewards but before leaving battle is given a dropdown to which bounty to claim. He could take russian bounty but is low, or he could claim british bounty at GB port and lower his own GB notoriety and claim GB reward."
- Have new tab where missions are to track bounties to claim.
- When player is sunk would be possible for previous players that day to have same rights to claim same bounty. First to claim gets and rest updated that is no longer valid.
- Perhaps make trade to foreign ports where notoriety has been gained to lower notoriety by amount traded.
Sorry for sketchy outline but bare bones of something.
Rationale is that being camped all day 24/7 at a capital port should have consequence over time, hopefully would create a move on mentality when AI start to react and disuade spawn camping. Also to create some depth to world where actions lead to change in OW, make it live in a small way. Lastly to further encourage PvP both to lower chances of AI intervention, and for bounty on player (2 players have been kpr all evening but now AI interfering, Player A kills player B to lower notoriety on himself. Goes to a GB port collects bounty, an returns to KPR to camp again with much less AI attention).
By no means meant as negative criticism but OW seems kind of sterile, perhaps something like this would create a level of depth/change (action/consequence) although will see what response is.
Pick apart, suggestions, or calls of blasfamy welcome