Game-Labs Forum

Unanswered questions on the patch and future plans

Ships built in free ports dont get any regional bonusses as they're not part of regions, right?

Only regional ports give bonuses

with the new splinter mech added are there going to be wood types that are better at not splintering (aka more flexible) then others but with trade offs to bing penned easier

Have not considered it yet.

Does every region provide a bonus, or are some regions glitched and providing nothing?

Will some form of mouseover information for resource availability return? (See all that is produced/consumed in a port, without having to search one-by-one.)

Will outposts go away or become more flexible?

Are we returning to the era of 18-kt frigates, with stackable speed % bonuses of region+perk+wood+copper plating+staysail+speed mod+speed trim? 

Not all regions give bonuses

Resources availability was removed as tooltip became too big for some ports + it was confusing as it shown pre patch resources and was too confusing. It might return after next wipe. 

Outposts and teleports in general are under review

If everyone is sailing a 1 dura awesome ship, it might mean people will accept 1 dura ships in general

+1

and I'll add: Are there any plans to test variable wind and weather conditions for battle instances?

No plans yet. Water is on the server and it might take a lot of time.

Two questions.

1- Xebec, I know it is coming, but when?

2- What is planned for the Pirate faction to prevent them from just being another nation?

Xebec one day

No comments on pirate faction yet. Pirates now are the pirate republic which existed for 11 years in nassau. 

will there be released a map of reignal bonusses insted of me having to sail around build lynx in every port?

yes

Future Plans

1.Will we ever going to see better loot in Naval Action? (I mean junk Loot). If you by any means add it to the game you will boost your PvE player base, not only that it will be more fun to kill fleets and do pvp knowing you are getting all sorts of items from your activities. I know you already added a lot of PvE content, but in order to finish what you started consider loot. 

2.Are you going to add NPC fishing boats around ports to increase 'this port is alive' feel? Are we going to get more beautification in game?

Patch questions

1. Are you going to make hostility zones visible on the map by default? (red zones) or players will have to go through map settings to find all the details and %? New players will be lost as usual. 

What I am saying is that important features that are supposed to be shown to players are hidden. 

2. Are you going to add better group control settings? This includes: Visible marker over group leader on OS/BAttle, Pass Group Lead, Assign Group Color should display preset color dot over group members (similar to ready green dot) on OS and in Battles (Port Battles). This is very useful tool.

3. Are you going to fix battle/Port Battle group spawn? ex. I have my PB group set up , but we spawned scattered around 25 people looking for each other. Why not put them together in line, so we focus on PB and not looking for our team members without any markers or indicators in PB.  

4. Why ports don't show resources when I mouse over them? Is this going to change/improve? How can a regular player know what that port is producing. Yes you have tools. (Don't expect new guys to know everything). They will look at the map and will be lost. I suggest you to open all the production/resources details from the start. Make life easier for new players and serve all needed info to them , so they can quickly start learning with much less struggle.  

5. Are you going to include in-game/login Warnings in future before next content wipe? From what I can tell you lost many players who never registered on Forums and never knew what is coming. All those people are now upset and unfortunately write bad reviews.  :(

6. Are you going to add expand shipyard, so players can store more ships?

7. Can players earn hostility points after Port Flip?

8. Are you going to improve Clan Warehouses in next Patch? What about Clan window, info and maybe clan logo?

btw. Awesome Patch, but needs a lot of thinking and fixing. Patches like this every month and you are golden. :)  

better loot - some day

have not considered it yet

no 

no plans yet but some day maybe

port battle spawns will change once land in port battles will start being tested, people will spawn in pb based on their position on the ow

answered above

we try to warn about changes in advance on forums and steam forums in the development stage harder to maintain other types of warnings

after release

i think yes

clan functionality will remain basic for some time

When are you going to implement map tools for simple navigation? 

have not considered it yet.

Why there are no ports where building Farms is possible?

its a bug. working on it but don't have an eta. some regions will be able to build farms in the future. but not all

1. Do you plan to adjust or remove the 'fine' logs ?

2. What are the plans for the next updates (November, December etc.) ?

Thx a lot if you answer me  :)

no

land in portbattles is a main priority now (+ some pvp/pve events)

Is time to enter the battle could be done dynamically and depend on the BR which takes part in it? I mean extending it for the weaker sides and shortening the sides stronger?

some form of evening out of battles (based on the old social perk) is under consideration

-Do you plan on allowing players the ability to upgrade and expand port fortifications and facilities through gameplay mechanics?

-Will the Admiralty return, allowing players to fight directly for each country, or will we remain privateers?

-Are there any plans to allow players the ability to create their own AI Trader ships (That appear in the open world) to move cargo and goods?

-Are we going to be able to load Cargo into our Fleet ships?

-Will we see the stormy seas in battle instances return?

The only concern is that all ports will be upgraded in certain time 

We don know

Player created ai fleets are impossible. 15000 MAU*1 fleet = 15000 bots on the map.  

Yes 

Not sure but most likely no.

• Like 2

Will you please stop adding British ships into this game until the Dutch finally has a trader/warship, 4th rate, and a SoL? Sweden also needs ships.

Will you please provide a full in-depth list of all resources and what materials require them?

Will you please bring back port market information on the map when mousing over a visited port?

Also with the above mentioned, will you please make the port info transparent so we can still see the map and the highlighted regions behind it?

Lastly, and most importantly, refer to the first question until that answer is yes.   :)

All ships are created equal we are bringing ships from most nations. Some of the nations are underrepresented and we plan to change it.

There were no significant changes to blueprints.. they are the same

Eventually - but not now

1 why did free towns lose say med kit and repair kit production(like they use to have)

2 why it seems did the us nation get hit so hard iv seen a few people in chat a few days ago chattering about it even repair/med kit production

3 fine woods what exactly do they do and why are they required for ship building?

4 upgrade nerfs i know some where needed but others like the hammocks why did they get hit with the nerf bat?

Medkits are under review

Ships required multiple types of wood including high quality seasoned oak, teak, softwoods and other types of wood. The goal is to make exceptional ships rarer.

Upgrades are not final and changes will continue

Pirate mechanics? When and what are they?

We don't have an answer on pirates for 3 reasons.

Many pirates are happy with current state of the pirate nation

Changing the mechanics might screw up other things for others or create options for exploits fixing which will again force that group of people into the same proven mechanics system. For example - if outlaws can attack other outlaws then it will be much safer for outlaws on the open seas because they can hide in battles with favorable conditions. 

It might take a lot of time. 

1) changes to ships based on quality.  It was mentioned that Basic ships never give a negative to any of the trim options and only positives.  I would like to know the differences between crafting a basic ship vs an exceptional ship. 

Example)  If build strength gives you a 5% bonus to hull hit points at exceptional quality, what will Master craft, fine, common, and basic give us? 

Basic ships is approximately 1% slower and has 8% less hp compared to the exceptional one

will be unlocked once we answer ))

• Like 1

This question is not about the current patch, but since it hasn't been answered yet: what is the purpose and effect of the "pray" button?

Great patch BTW.

Cheers

we don't know

What are your plans for ship blueprints in the future?

Why is it hard to find AI traders after this patch? Would it be possible to bring more back but reduce their loot?

What are your thoughts on the new ROE?

Pirate mechanics, what are your plans?

Will there ever be expedition missions, as once proposed, maybe for collectibles?

Are paint schemes going to become craftable or is there any plans for ship or sail color customization?

What are your ideas for/plans on changing the home screen UI?

Now that the pull circle pulls AI and land has forts, any thoughts on getting rid of player fleets?

What does pray do?

This will probably be edited to add more questions. :)

blueprints will be reworked most likely - we don't like how they work now.. and how they worked before

ai trader numbers were not changed.. what we added is that they don't immediately respawn and can respawn elsewhere in THIS region. But they are in this region

ROE - time compression makes everything worse. The only solution to have a perfect roe is to shrink the world and have same speed in instance and ow. then battles can be opened any time and you can enter exactly where you were on the OW. 

No definitene plans we are still in the collection stage - but from what we see any change to pirate mechanics might screw up everyone - take outlaws for example . outlaws who are against all are the great idea. but being against all makes them the easiest class to play. because they can attack each other. 

Expeditions and research were a great idea when OW was in a early stage, but we still have not found the way to tie it into gameplay. Because otherwise it will look like fishing.

UI is being researched. First we will deploy the functionality change (making things more usable from usability perspective).

Player fleets are a feature that is loved by a good percent of players.

Will you release a ship road map again in the future?

We never had a ship roadmap before but there is potentially a list of ships we want to make. Dutch included :)

• Like 4

We never had a ship roadmap before but there is potentially a list of ships we want to make. Dutch included :)

Alternatively, this is what you gave us exactly a year ago:

Current ship line up

·      Unarmed and armed traders: (2 new ships planned, 2 possible)

·      Unrated 8-16 guns: Lynx, Cutter, Pickle, Yacht, Privateer

·      6th rates 16-26 guns: Brig, Navy Brig, Snow, Mercury, Cerberus (3 new ships planned)

·      5th rates 26-50 guns: Renomee, Surprise, Frigate and Variants, Belle Poule, Trincomalee (3 new ships planned)

·      4th rates 50-64 guns: Constitution (2 new ships planned)

·      3rd rates 64-80 guns: 74, Bellona (2 new ships planned)

·      2nd rates 80-100 guns: St. Paul (3 new ships planned)

·      1st rates 100-140 guns: Victory, Santisima (1 new ship planned)

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7231-development-plans-until-early-access-release/#entry136266

A list of potential ships, or another like above, either is fine with me :)

• Like 1

1) Roseau/Rosaly have no regional bonus. Bug or not?

2) Ocean and Aghamemnon and ratlesnake are just for few people. It seems unfair. Plan to give them to everyone?

3) Are you planning to improve society page (to allow people to se ejust peopoe online or put people per last connexion etc)

4) Are you going to let us choose to be in batlte or stay in open world when someone is tagged near us. It's allow 5 ships to grief an entier group...

5) The french name on npc are ridiculous. Would you accept to rename them with name choosen bye your community make it more roleplay or do you want to keep the weir name you choosed?

• Like 1

why did the devs make only the regional capitals able to capture/attack ?? i thought you guys wanted to make this game harder and more realistic ??

because that decision doesint make any sense to me.

You can't attack individual ports. In real life the region was usually garrisoned and attacking one individual town was somewhat impossible. This is somewhat replicated through the regions mechanic. If you can capture the region you control all ports in the region. 

When will you make the blue print of all ship available through crafting?

Rarity works in games and sometimes provides a goal to a player. We believe that some ships should remain rare and the only way to make them rare is to remove their crafting chance. 

Pray, please what does it really do.... in game... ?

What, if any, other planned updates / changes to crafting and econ are coming?

What are raids, how do they work, details please?

Raids are a great idea on paper but might turn into a farce if under designed. On paper it looks like that. You enter the port instance, sail by or destroy defenses, get to the town and rob it. If no-one comes to defend it you will steal some goods from the port. In reality it all turns into sail by the defenses and stand near a pier for 5-10 mins. Thus we are not yet 100% sure about raids. 

Are going to be added more spanish ships besides the Diana?

we plan to add more ships to the game. Spanish vessels maybe. The problem is to find the perfect vessel so it does not look the same as others. 

Are the ideas for Land Lords still on the roadmap for further implementation taking advantage of the new regions/forts/conquest ?

Can we hope and expect a hardcore/ironman mode for Outlaw/Pyrate ?

Landlords are currently not a priority - because there are yet some other issues that need to be addressed including UI. But there are some good ideas on this subject and they can be explored. 

Ironman mode will work best on a separate hardcore server. But it might split the community even more. PvP/PvE split is more than enough. Another reason for the delays is this - hardcore mode might actually make certain things easier for the outlaws/hardcore players. 

• Like 4

Will Exploration be implemented ? Can't the Pacific Coast be used for that ?

Will bots be agressive in OW (tagging players) ?

Which ship will be the 2016 Ship selection Wild Card ?

Will there be more early-18C ships in NA ?

Will there be a storm map in combat instances ?

What would be the main difference between NA2 and NA1, as you see it now, (if a NA2 were to see the light of day someday) ?

Exploration has to tie naturally into main game mechanics - because there is no land it will be very hard to make it interesting and exciting. Otherwise it will just turn into a in game encyclopedia (like current fishes that are historical and live in those places where you can catch them).

Bots will be aggressive once we teach them to chase players. Bots don't use cheats and as a result can't outperform a player. If bots become aggressive on ow it will just waste time for players because you can always run away. 

I think it was Wasa or Diana - need to check

There will be more ships if we can afford it.

Storms are hard to do with the current visuals tech. As water is synced we can't update water dynamically. The only way for storms could get in back is through events from port lobby (using separate servers).

Too early to talk about Naval action 2. But if it happens time compression must be solved and captain must be to walk on deck and on land.  

Why are regular pvp battles now "instant-close" but hostility missions stay open for 30 minutes?

All missions generate hostility and we don't want PVE to be safe on the pvp server. Battles are closed instantly because you search for enemies yourself. Missions give you the target without effort and thus we thought we should add some risk to them. On the PVE server they are still safe.

• Like 5

Awesome job on the patch and many thinks for the engagement on the forums.

Can you confirm the numbers for hostility?

AI ship 100

AI sol 100

Player ship 200

Player sol 200

Total needed 10000

Decay 20% of eared each night at reset?

• Like 1

• Regarding ROE, have you considered making the outer circle's size dependent on the BR of the player (player' group) - where the bigger the attacker's BR is, the bigger the outer circle is?

Other than for shallow water ports, rather than limiting port battles by ship types, why not limit Port Battles by total BR per side?  Then the players can decide whether they show up in 18 Cerberuses or 3 Santissimas...

Will upgrades that are presently not craftable become craftable?  Example: Stay sails, Studding Sails, Light Carriages,...

Will we get buildings that allow the training of "upgrades": monkeys, boarding parties, marines...?

Will we get additional specialized officers rather than one that capture various skill sets? Example: medic, 1st mate, navigator, boatswain,...

Will we be able to name our ships?

Will we be able to customize our flag?

Will we have clan docks as well as clan warehouses?

Since there is now an incentive to craft in ports other than the capital - will we be able to have multiple clan warehouses, or perhaps draw from the warehouse at a distance via deliveries?

Would clan officers be able to make notes on a shared clan map?

Edited by TaranisPrime
  • Like 1

but being against all makes them the easiest class to play. because they can attack each other. 

By "easiest class to play" do you mean "easiest class to level up"?

Seems to me we could still discuss fundamental changes to the concept of "leveling up". The noise around this has died down since most of us are max level now anyway but I still think the current leveling system is terrible, a nuisance to new players and harms some really cool ideas (like outlaws) without bringing anything good to the table.

I see no real value in a traditional leveling scheme for a game like this. The game is the most fun when you don't have to worry about levels anymore (especially now that the new world strategy system is coming into play).

The goal is to make exceptional ships rarer.

To be honest, you might need to drop the fine wood rate even lower if this is the goal. I guess we'll have to wait and see but my feeling is that I can produce more fine wood than I can consume unless I lose multiple durability per day, every day.

The current rate would probably be okay if ships were only 1 durability.

Edited by Slamz

Will there be an "officer career" as proposed for discussion here :

Naval officer

• Works for the Admiralty of their respective country.
  • Receives salary - does not make money by selling ships. 
  • Does not pick ships - ships are assigned by the Admiralty randomly according to rank and achievements. 
  • Cannot capture ships - ships are sent to Admiralty for admiralty points.
  • Does not hire crew - crews are supplied by the Admiralty with ships
  • Repairs are provided by Admiralty
  • Has to fulfill duties  - must fight, must accept battles
  • Top rated ships are assigned based on leaderboards
  • Upgrades/officers and unique content can be bought from the Admiralty store for points. Ships for the admiralty stores are supplied by crafters.
  • Can buy ships for himself if he has money (but those will be limited due to low salaries)
Basically a combat class that does not think about the cash and is always supplied for combat. Ideal for the player who is not interested

Privateer/Pirate
  • Works for himself buying a patent.
  • Patent costs money per month
  • Can capture ships for himself
  • Have to hire crew and pay salaries for the crew and officers
  • Have to repair ships
  • Can sail any ship if he can hire and support the crew

(...)

• Like 1

i think that the conquest could be more interesting/fun if all ports would become capturable ,right now it goes way too fast + you cant fight over strategic ports .

i thought that the new regional conquest mechanic would draw out the war somemore with more PVP and port battles, wich would make the game more fun and more realistic.

further more your statement is some what correct, BUT that only speaks about regions and ports wich do not have any importance in a war because a nation is not going to give away a port for free ,especially when they have a strategic or resourcefull importance.

i think you should change it back to the old system + the regions as proposed by the players who came up with the region mechanic.

I second this motion. However, all players need to remember and refer back to the August poll about OW size and the number of ports. I cannot remember where to find this, but last I saw the poll, more people voted that there are way too many ports (especially unimportant ports) and that everything is spread out too far for there to be much PvP. With these regions, basically it now lowers the number of ports to battle over, essentially decreasing the size of the map. Also, with the regions being unbalanced, it will certainly increase PvP in the 'rich' regions that provide the good bonuses.

What I'd propose is making the regional capitals non-capturable UNTIL the PLAYER ACTIVE ports are taken.

So, say you want to attack Ponce County. A couple of Spanish players have OPs and buildings at Guanica and at Vieques. Before a nation wants to wage war against Ponce regional capital, they have to capture Guanica and Vieques. The non-active ports in the regions are not required. Immediately as soon as the active ports are captured, only then does the regional capital Ponce open.

This could mean a 3+ day war for a single region, depending on how many ports are active, creating plenty of PvP from screenings and PBs.

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 1

Will there be the ability to hire or use your own ships as AI traders to do long hauls with cargo? i.e. You don't want to sail for 10hrs and you get the AI to do it between your ports while you are offline? What are your thoughts on trading distances and player sailing time to get goods together to build a ship?

I am not concerned as much with the time it takes to get goods together as the time the players spends doing nothing while sailing vast distances to do it. If the AI could do it for the player then it would release players to play the game while still being aware of losses and having to escort ships personally through dangerous waters. Perhaps even being able to spawn into the AI escorts to defend them when attacked.

• Like 1

• Are there plans to allow players to more easily switch nations, rather than have to find a friend to migrate all their assets to and then be given these assets back once one has re-rolled?  Suggested a few times: letters of mark (a form of tax) for players to "buy" into a nation they wish to move to...

Exploration has to tie naturally into main game mechanics - because there is no land it will be very hard to make it interesting and exciting. Otherwise it will just turn into a in game encyclopedia (like current fishes that are historical and live in those places where you can catch them).

Bots will be aggressive once we teach them to chase players. Bots don't use cheats and as a result can't outperform a player. If bots become aggressive on ow it will just waste time for players because you can always run away. 

I think it was Wasa or Diana - need to check

There will be more ships if we can afford it.

Storms are hard to do with the current visuals tech. As water is synced we can't update water dynamically. The only way for storms could get in back is through events from port lobby (using separate servers).

Too early to talk about Naval action 2. But if it happens time compression must be solved and captain must be to walk on deck and on land.  

All missions generate hostility and we don't want PVE to be safe on the pvp server. Battles are closed instantly because you search for enemies yourself. Missions give you the target without effort and thus we thought we should add some risk to them. On the PVE server they are still safe.

No variable weather in battle is a rather huge disappointment because it means the game lacks some of the rare visual and mechanical variation it could have had. Are you sure we could not have synced storm waves? By synced do you mean the ships are glued to the ocean. Or that the open world weather would have to be synced with battle instances which is too hard?

With the new wind strengths coming it would have been very cool to see the wind whipping up some waves. Stormy conditions having gusting winds requiring sail to be shortened.

• Like 1

Will something be done to keep or at least discourage players from getting mad at a clan then swapping faction or to keep swapping back and forth to the winning faction over and over and over agai?

Combine this with a large amount of players having alts on several factions swaping around messing with the economy of a faction or whatever.

All of this stuff destabilize the game alot and ruin play for players dedicated to thier faction and who are playing honestly.

Would you consider increasing the base speed of the Mortar Brig by 1 knot (to 10.92)? This would make OW sailing moderately less painful and at least allow it to reasonably keep up in fleets of heavy lineships. It would also give it a chance to escape upwind from 4th-rates and up, a goal presently impractical even against a Constitution. This increase will still leave it miles behind any of the brig-rigs, but it will at least give MB captains a small fighting chance if they're caught alone in the OW.

Would you consider having ports that produce a type of wood, whether by AI or Players, also produce (by AI only) a small amount of Fine woods (200-300/day tops)?

Additionally or alternately, would you consider altering the way that Fine woods drop from crafting, guaranteeing their small percentage on every craft and not having them replaced by Compass woods half the time (i.e. getting Fine or Compass wood on a harvest would not be mutually-exclusive events)? At the time of writing, I have crafted 2,500 logs and managed a total of 70 Fine logs of that same type. I get that Exceptional ships should be...exceptional, but the present rate is very painful and detrimental for anyone even considering a Fine-quality build. The rate at which a player can craft a variety of Fine woods for various builds (Speed, Build Str, Stiffness, etc.) is abysmally-low and requires either dedication of all building slots or vast journeys across the caribbean through hostile waters to even find a small amount of Fine woods, and they may already be exploited by buy orders exceeding 2000g/unit.

Will we ever be able to craft -all- of the various upgrade modules? Most of them?