Game-Labs Forum

PvP1 Territorial Changes (Updated Monthly)

theprof739

To chart the expansion and decline of the major powers of the Caribbean, I have decided to publish a map once per month.

19th January 2016 (faction starting positions)

02fqRah.jpg

post-16002-0-64585300-1454251831_thumb.jpg

There are 361 Ports visible on the map and they are divided as follows, (the numbers are by my count and I am human and capable of messing up, so if you have a more accurate number, please let me know.)

Factions:

137 Neutral

104 Spanish

33 Free Ports

33 British

26 French

12 Pirate

7 American

6 Dutch

4 Danish

1 Swedish

1st February 2016

i4WK3N1.jpg

post-16002-0-84003200-1455641393_thumb.jpg

Factions:

77 Spanish (26% decline)

52 British (57.5% increase)

50 Neutral 

35 American (400% increase)

34 Pirate (183% increase)

33 Free Ports

32 French (23% increase)

23 Dutch (183% increase)

20 Danish (400% increase)

7 Swedish (700% increase)

16th February 2016

WEQqmnc.jpg

post-16002-0-25615100-1455642522_thumb.jpg

Factions:

71 British (36.5% increase from last update, 215% total)

70 American (200% increase from last update, 1000% total)

44 Pirate  (29% increase from last update, 267% total)

40 Spanish (48% decrease from last update, 61.5% decrease overall)

34 French ( 6% increase from last update, 31% total)

33 Dutch (43% increase from last update, 450% total)

33 Free Ports

20 Danish (0% Increase from last update, 400% total)

10 Swedish (43% increase from last update, 1000% total)

6 Neutral

Edited by theprof739
  • Like 17

I think it should be updated weekly, most port battle invasions take two to three days to happen.

Particularity right now, the battles for the frontiers of the national empires are starting to begin, there is going to be a bit of port fighting coming soon...

While I completely agree, I do not have the confidence that I will always have time to do weekly updates. I'd rather commit to once a month, with the possibility of mid-month updates, than overcommit and not deliver. Either way things go, check back tomorrow for the February 1st update!

• Like 2

February 1st 2016

post-16002-0-42255500-1454335672_thumb.jpg

Ports:

77 Spanish

52 British

50 Neutral

35 American

34 Pirate

33 Free Ports

32 French

23 Dutch

20 Danish

7 Swedish

Sweden has seen a sevenfold increase in territory. The Danes and the Americans growing by a factor of five. The Dutch growth being just shy of four times their modest beginnings. The pirates have nearly tripled in size. Great Britain's port control has risen by 57%. The French are enjoying a 23% increase in territory, despite the loss of their Haitian holdings. The Spanish empire is feeling the pressure of it's neighbors in the Caribbean losing 26% of it's possessions.

• Like 11

Some feedback would be helpful; are the map images clear enough for people? It's difficult to get a good picture of the whole map (or at least the inhabited parts of it) with my current resolution, so I'm considering taking say 4 more zoomed in pictures and stitching them together for more clarity. I like the idea of a timelapse, I might try that once there are enough images for it. 

I'll ask again that if there is a Dev or person with an official count of the total number of ports and the number each faction starts with, it would be greatly appreciated. also if this continues getting pinned might be nice, if that's not presumptuous of me to ask. I think this project would be nice to see as the time goes one, and if we had more details demographics of the server population (i.e. 27% of PvP1 playing Britain, 22% Pirate, 17% US, 9% French, etc) to see how well the factions are doing over time relative to their player count.

Some feedback would be helpful; are the map images clear enough for people? It's difficult to get a good picture of the whole map (or at least the inhabited parts of it) with my current resolution, so I'm considering taking say 4 more zoomed in pictures and stitching them together for more clarity. I like the idea of a timelapse, I might try that once there are enough images for it. 

I'll ask again that if there is a Dev or person with an official count of the total number of ports and the number each faction starts with, it would be greatly appreciated. also if this continues getting pinned might be nice, if that's not presumptuous of me to ask. I think this project would be nice to see as the time goes one, and if we had more details demographics of the server population (i.e. 27% of PvP1 playing Britain, 22% Pirate, 17% US, 9% French, etc) to see how well the factions are doing over time relative to their player count.

The images are relatively low quality and as a graphics whore my eyes are bleeding when looking at it. :P

Great project! If you need help taking screenies just send me a PM :)

• 2 weeks later...

MID FEBRUARY UPDATE!!!

16th February 2016

post-16002-0-77232600-1455640558_thumb.jpg

Factions:

71 British (36.5% increase from last update, 215% total)

70 American (200% increase from last update, 1000% total)

44 Pirate  (29% increase from last update, 267% total)

40 Spanish (48% decrease from last update, 61.5% decrease overall)

34 French ( 6% increase from last update, 31% total)

33 Dutch (43% increase from last update, 450% total)

33 Free Ports

20 Danish (0% Increase from last update, 400% total)

10 Swedish (43% increase from last update, 1000% total)

6 Neutral

*edit, I also tried to increase the image size, hopefully it's a bit better.

Edited by theprof739
  • Like 1

[Minor Update] I have uploaded the map images to Imgur and then linked them which should provide a larger image. The first 2 are still a bit lacking in quality, but the last update is about the max size I can achieve, without the port names appearing and making the map a complete mess. Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Better quality. Fyi, if you want to have even better  resolution, use .png when you save your picture.

and use  [/img] tag when you post on forum. imgur also has that when you upload your picture. :lol:

Edited by Nash
  • Like 1

It would be nice if the port ownership info with timestamps was made available through a simple API so the map images could be generated and a history kept. It would be great to be able to replay the port changes in an animation months or years in the future and see how things developed over time.

• Like 2

It would be nice if the port ownership info with timestamps was made available through a simple API so the map images could be generated and a history kept. It would be great to be able to replay the port changes in an animation months or years in the future and see how things developed over time.

I do eventually intend to make an animated timelapse of the maps I've been making, but alas I'm not the most tech savvy person. 

I'm gonna take the lessons I've learned from doing this into the next wipe, whenever that might be.

Edited by theprof739

I do eventually intend to make an animated timelapse of the maps I've been making, but alas I'm not the most tech savvy person. 

I'm gonna take the lessons I've learned from doing this into the next wipe, whenever that might be.

This is <sorta> available in the game logs, but it requires knowing port #s. I'd be willing to hash it all out and build maps using d3.js (that's my day job) but I don't know which #'s correspond to which port.

• Like 1

There are 361 Ports visible on the map and they are divided as follows, (the numbers are by my count and I am human and capable of messing up, so if you have a more accurate number, please let me know.)

There are 365 ports in game

captured / owned ports

1. 76 / 89 - Great Britain
  2. 55 / 62 - United States
  3. 50 / 55 - Pirates
  4. 29 / 37 - France
  5. 28 / 32 - Verenigde Provincien
  6. 21 / 26 - Spain
  7. 17 / 21 - Denmark-Norge
  8.   7 /   8 - Sverige

Top 3 Lord Protector

1. 12 - Stephen Decatur / Xemko
  2.   7 - Thurston Beers / Bigvalco / Amnesia
  3.   6 - Fiskey / Luxaeterna / Tommy Shelby
  • Like 2

This is <sorta> available in the game logs, but it requires knowing port #s. I'd be willing to hash it all out and build maps using d3.js (that's my day job) but I don't know which #'s correspond to which port.

Thank you very much. I don't know the port #s either or how to find them, but If I find out I'll message you. 

There are 365 ports in game

captured / owned ports

1. 76 / 89 - Great Britain
  2. 55 / 62 - United States
  3. 50 / 55 - Pirates
  4. 29 / 37 - France
  5. 28 / 32 - Verenigde Provincien
  6. 21 / 26 - Spain
  7. 17 / 21 - Denmark-Norge
  8.   7 /   8 - Sverige

Top 3 Lord Protector

1. 12 - Stephen Decatur / Xemko
  2.   7 - Thurston Beers / Bigvalco / Amnesia
  3.   6 - Fiskey / Luxaeterna / Tommy Shelby

Oh nice info. I am aware of 363 ports (I didn't include Kidd's Harbour and North Inlet) but deliberately left out the secret island because well, you can't see it on the map, so it's not really useful to track. Are there 2 other hidden ports or are they visible on the game map and I miscounted?

The number owned versus the number captured it a great detail, thanks!

Also how did you get the numbers for the Lord Protectors? I'd love to include this for future updates.

Are there 2 other hidden ports or are they visible on the game map and I miscounted?

I don't know

Also how did you get the numbers for the Lord Protectors? I'd love to include this for future updates.

This information available in the game logs.