Game-Labs Forum

using sextant in ow

Hi,

Navigating in the OW is a challenge and I love the scary part where there is no land insight and you are already some days at sea.

For newer players it is common to get lost at least once, didnt we all?

Back in the day, the Navigations officer would take his sextant out at noon and establish the position of the ship.

Wouldnt it be a cool feature in game when:

At 12am ow-time a message would popup and you could see your rough position on the ingame map?

Grtzzz Bubbles

• Like 3

At 12am ow-time a message would popup and you could see your rough position on the ingame map?

You wouldn't see your rough position, you would in fact see a narrow line that contains all your possible conditions. A sextant at noon will get you latitude quite accurately, but finding longitude is dependent on either a good clock or very accurate account of your past speed and heading. 

Here are my ideas:

http://namap.neocities.org/nav.html

The example shows idea #2 except without the actual sextant reading (instead this is simulated by the inputed z coordinate, in game you would have the sextant mini game instead of the z value)

Check out the PBS Nova sextant mini game.  You would combine that with a moving sextant (to make it difficult), in game weather, time, and perhaps a navigation question (again to make it difficult and not easy) to get a range of latitude.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/shackleton/navigate/escapewave.html

i would argue that the sextant should be a tool to find your position, however it should not actually show your position, this together with being able to draw on your map(as i suggested) would be amazing)

That is why Maturin and I have suggested that you are given a range of latitude that you could be at, but yes, you would need to be able to draw on the map.

i7bKFtU.jpg?1

I would like to see something like this added. Where you can select the average knots at which the ship has traveled in the top right and then you can move the vector-line in the direction you sailed. Making the line longer would mean longer sailing at e.g. 14 knots for 2 hours 40 minutes.

When you change the speed to 8 knots then the line you would get for a travel duration of 2 hours 40 minutes would automatically be shorter.

So really, someone only has to change the knots the ship sailed and then point the line in the direction you sailed and adjust its length until you see 2h40m (which is the time you sailed until you changed course )

• Like 1

Only problem with that is it is too exact.

Maybe if you are really good at this navigating, but you have to guess the speed; since it varies a few knots when your sailing and when the wind changes slightly and then your speed does too. Time flies by so you might make small errors in the time you sailed between course changes and then you might deviate if you're not focused :)

Edited by teatrader
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

YES - there should absolutely be a sextant  - how can the game really be good without this tool - But also, the Chart should be redone - to have some readings, or allow each player to manage their own chart - i ran into an island 'sand bar' in the midle of the ocean - i would have loved to put the location on my chart - could have used it later even in a battle; as some sailors did back in the day.

+1

I previously suggested a similar system whereby at Noon your position could be marked on the OW map, so that at least once a day you knew where you were on the high seas. Having this a player feature/sub game would make this even more fun.