Game-Labs Forum

How to satisfy player base from other countries

Guys what about let have other countries not included in current version of game (like Portugal, Russia, Poland ,Ottoman Empire, Venice etc...) own a one port (colonial outpost) and let them ally with one of the "main " nations in game ? What do you think about this idea? I know maybe i reply myself but WE really want sail under OWN flag... :D  Hope you understand

Cheers 

Bart

• Like 1

I just cannot see the reason why you would want to implement all those nations that didnt own territory in the caribien to all of sudden have territories in the carribean...

I get that its fun to have your own flag in the game, but imagine all +-190 countries in the world wanting their own nation? Besides, it would fragment the playerbase we currently have and we will have in the future.

Just wait until the game is in a stage where other parts of the world are implemented, whereas it would be reasonable to add in those nations. I.e. the Mediterranean or the east indies.

I had an elaborate discussion about this topic with Helene before in help chat.

The main argument brought in favor on nations like russia and portugal in the carribean was: 'the pirates arent historically accurate, so why should the nation be historically accurate?'.

I don't know where to start with that kind of logic floating about. Just because somethings are in the 'rework-list', but still are historically inaccurate, doesn't mean that we should add other historically inaccurate things just to balance it out.

again, i get it that flying your rl nation's colours is fun, but you open a world of hurt by crossing that line IMO.

Edited by SteelSandwich
  • Like 1

I just cannot see the reason why you would want to implement all those nations that didnt own territory in the caribien to all of sudden have territories in the carribean...

I get that its fun to have your own flag in the game, but imagine all +-190 countries in the world wanting their own nation? Besides, it would fragment the playerbase we currently have and we will have in the future.

Just wait until the game is in a stage where other parts of the world are implemented, whereas it would be reasonable to add in those nations. I.e. the Mediterranean or the east indies.

I had an elaborate discussion about this topic with Helene before in help chat.

The main argument brought in favor on nations like russia and portugal in the carribean was: 'the pirates arent historically accurate, so why should the nation be historically accurate?'.

I don't know where to start with that kind of logic floating about. Just because somethings are in the 'rework-list', but still are historically inaccurate, doesn't mean that we should add other historically inaccurate things just to balance it out.

again, i get it that flying your rl nation's colours is fun, but you open a world of hurt by crossing that line IMO.

Well if i follow this thinking firstly game should not be placed in Caribbean from one unbetable reason - Most of epic, massive sea battles will happend in European waters and this game is about it not another "pirate" game i wish. Surely you would understand our demand and wishes when you put yourself in our place. And there is one more aspect - economically for developers - imagine how more players (money) game will have when there will be possibility to play own nation by Russians (about 138 mln people), Turkey ( about 79 mln) Poland (about 38 mln) etc...thats clearly few k more players in game

Well if i follow this thinking firstly game should not be placed in Caribbean from one unbetable reason - Most of epic, massive sea battles will happend in European waters and this game is about it not another "pirate" game i wish. Surely you would understand our demand and wishes when you put yourself in our place. 

I think caribbean is a nice place to start due to the amount of islands, i honestly agree with steel, we are still in very early development and we should wait with new nations as new regions get added, that one nation which anyone can join would always be the neutral nation or pirate nation.

I think caribbean is a nice place to start due to the amount of islands, i honestly agree with steel, we are still in very early development and we should wait with new nations as new regions get added, that one nation which anyone can join would always be the neutral nation or pirate nation.

Nobody saying we want it now , we want it in final game. And with current mechanics we try play pirates - nobody want it anymore from my mates:) 

Like i said, i get that people want to play their own nation. As well as i agree that in the endgame it should be implemented.

Don't get me wrong, i just don't want the Russians to own Mexico, Poland to own Indonesia and turkey to rule south Africa just because people want to nations to be implemented, or that it generates more money for them.

If they were to expend the theaters in which we can sail those nations will be added accordingly.

Like i said, i get that people want to play their own nation. As well as i agree that in the endgame it should be implemented.

Don't get me wrong, i just don't want the Russians to own Mexico, Poland to own Indonesia and turkey to rule south Africa just because people want to nations to be implemented, or that it generates more money for them.

If they were to expend the theaters in which we can sail those nations will be added accordingly.

I agree to an extent. But if we're going to consider the dubious implications for historical accuracy in adding these nations, we have to consider this: how many first rates were active in the Caribbean theater? I can guarantee you it's less than we have/will have. Of those first rates, how many were Santissima Trinidads or Victories? How many ships of the line were Svyatoy Pavel-class from Russia? How many frigates were Cherubims?

In fact, as was pointed out, the majority of decisive naval action from 1780-1820 (the established time frame) occurred away from the Caribbean. I do agree that it's iffy to have those nations in the region, but I also think that it's worth noting that Naval Action is never going to be 100% historically accurate and thus it's pointless to insist that it is 100% historically accurate. I suppose I just don't see immersion going out the window seeing a Russian flag in the Caribbean any more than I do when I see a Russian ship of the line or a Constitution sailing under the Union Jack :)

But I respect your opinion, Steel, as a more experienced tester than I :P

I agree to an extent. But if we're going to consider the dubious implications for historical accuracy in adding these nations, we have to consider this: how many first rates were active in the Caribbean theater? I can guarantee you it's less than we have/will have. Of those first rates, how many were Santissima Trinidads or Victories? How many ships of the line were Svyatoy Pavel-class from Russia? How many frigates were Cherubims?

Well, i think i sorta addressed this in my initial comment. The fact that the current ratio of SOL's is unhistorical high, and the frequency of a specific ship is impossible are no arguments why there should be unhistorical nations (although i agree with that statement, that's something that's is slowly being worked on; the introduction of new ships every major patch)

The ship system is 'incorrect', so why change the 'correct' nations into 'incorrect' nation just because of the ship system?

But, as you nicely mentioned, to each his own, and i think it might be just me who is a bit hard-headed on this topic. :)

I'm just curious to see where the general consensus lies on this topic, because i have a feeling/hope that the majority wants to stick with the current load-out.

Edited by SteelSandwich
  • Like 1

The list of spanish big ships builded in Caribean is long I think... Santissima was build in La Habana shipyard for example.

Bart, you can accept put a personal flag that only in your computer is showed and others see a default flag? In Rise of Flight for example, you can make your own plane skin and put in the game, but only you can see it other players see the default skin. For other people can see that skin, they must install the skin file in their computers.

Maybe you can speak with admin about that "feature" for a future develop stage of course.

Well, maybe at the beginning of the add option: the second nation

OeM1swe.png

And then put on the mast flags such nations?

pMaIqNf.jpg

I think at the beginning it would be a good solution.

Sorry, poor writing in English. 

Edited by Prorok Lebioda
  • Like 8

As I understand it, the Caribbean map is just for alpha testing. Assuming there is no technical barrier to implementing it, there was some discussion on how much of Europe to include in release. I hope there will be much more of the world, if not the entire world map at some point. As far as sailing under one's own nationality, I am currently sailing French, but might sail Dane if Niklas, aka Ubert Le Danois, joins Danes after release (I am US nationality irl).

Hmm, playing a game in a historical setting I really have no need to be represented by my national flag (which would be absolutely unhistoric). That doesn't fit for me, also destroying something of the game for me. Its just that I like history too much I think ;)

• Like 1

Well, i think i sorta addressed this in my initial comment. The fact that the current ratio of SOL's is unhistorical high, and the frequency of a specific ship is impossible are no arguments why there should be unhistorical nations (although i agree with that statement, that's something that's is slowly being worked on; the introduction of new ships every major patch)

The ship system is 'incorrect', so why change the 'correct' nations into 'incorrect' nation just because of the ship system?

But, as you nicely mentioned, to each his own, and i think it might be just me who is a bit hard-headed on this topic. :)

I'm just curious to see where the general consensus lies on this topic, because i have a feeling/hope that the majority wants to stick with the current load-out.

Admittedly, my argument has a hint of reductio ad absurdum to it, as you said. But yes, to each their own :)