Game-Labs Forum

Warning - friendly kills for all nations are not allowed.

Warning - ruleset change.

Friendly fire for pirates was initially allowed to provide the opportunity for group vs group fights. OW was always pulling all the pirates to one side in the instance (even reinforcements) and as a result 6 v 6 were always 11 v 1 in the instance. 

Many pirates started to use this mechanic always joining the friendly side to sink the opponent. No group fights were happening.. only abuse. We have to change the rules as a result.

Rule change.

Sinking, boarding, or denial of the derelicts is not allowed against friendlies for anyone. Any green on green kills are forbidden.

If friendlies sink you file a F11 report from the battle, make screenshots, and report it to Tribunal.

• Like 8

The problem with Pirate vs Pirates is that you still can't enter either side. Whatever option you choose, it puts you on the attacker's side. Also whenever you attack someone, everyone in the circle, bar the defender, is being put on the attacker's side. On top of that pirate AIs will always join attacker's side, even with huge BR, already in favour of the attacker, thus contributing to the gank. These are the reasons for which I sometimes had to resort to frinedly fire to aid my friends. Not denying there is a fair share of people just abusing it to make life miserable for others, though. 

When choosing the options in joining pirate battles (when thye are fixed), there should be Attacker/Defender, instead of Pirate/Pirate, to prevent people joining unwanted side (alternatively, people in group should be put on the same side). Also the circle would require a rework, where players would be asked first, whether they want to be put on the side of the attacker/defender. And AIs should support the outgunned side.

Edited by Laik
  • Like 2

So...if a Pirate group A is chasing another Pirate group B, then Pirate group B need only to attack each other to escape being sunk from Pirate group A?

This is all very convoluted.  Just make Pirates 'red' (enemies) for everyone in battle.   No sides and Pirates can just choose whom to sink or whom not to sink.

• Like 4

That's an interesting idea.  Pirate free-for-all/deathmatch.  No teams, no sides, everyone just red to each other.

Although, if they do that Raatha, can't Pirate Group A just join in on both sides of the combat and sink Pirate group B and decide not to shoot each other?

So Team 1

Pirate B1

Pirate A1

Pirate A2

Team 2

Pirate B2

Pirate A3

Pirate A4

A1 and A2 attack B2

A3 and A4 attack B1

A1 and A2 do not attack A3 and A4

Yes, a little convoluted, but a work around atm.

Well, this workaround will be rendered redundant once positions from the OW will be properly represented in the instance (position within the circle, as opposed to spawning where the tagging person was) as well as progressive distance from combat as the time elapses get introduced. Though, that would require Raatha's idea to be a true free for all, irrespective of the side (possibly all pirates showing up to other pirates as red, only group as green).

Overall I like the idea of pirates being hostile to each other and everyone else, irrespective of the side.  I think infighting of factions within pirates would really make the pirate gameplay unique, so there should always be possibilty for a backstab, alliances made 'in the chat', be it with nations or other pirates, etc. 

• Like 2

That's an interesting idea.  Pirate free-for-all/deathmatch.  No teams, no sides, everyone just red to each other.

Although, if they do that Raatha, can't Pirate Group A just join in on both sides of the combat and sink Pirate group B and decide not to shoot each other?

-snip-

Yes, I suppose that's possible, but extremely convoluted.  Game design always benefits (in my opinion) from simplicity.  Your example still requires people to have to figure out which of the two buttons for "join Pirates" is their teammates and the enemy, which again very confusing and convoluted.

Well, this workaround will be rendered redundant once positions from the OW will be properly represented in the instance (position within the circle, as opposed to spawning where the tagging person was) as well as progressive distance from combat as the time elapses get introduced. Though, that would require Raatha's idea to be a true free for all, irrespective of the side (possibly all pirates showing up to other pirates as red, only group as green).

Overall I like the idea of pirates being hostile to each other and everyone else, irrespective of the side.  I think infighting of factions within pirates would really make the pirate gameplay unique, so there should always be possibilty for a backstab, alliances made 'in the chat', be it with nations or other pirates, etc. 

The 2 teams, I would imagine, is a limitation of the matchmaker so there would always be 2 "teams" and the players would likely be organize into one side or the other regardless of OW positioning.  A downfall for sure, resulting in more brawls for Pirates than line battles.  But would Pirates line battle anyway? (at least from a theoretical perspective)

Your section that I bolded is precisely why I feel the 'Pirates free for all' aspect would be interesting for the game as well.  Besides the fact that it would resolve these ROE abuse problems and 'teamkilling' issues.

• Like 1

At the time being, where all nations are technically at war with each other, this system is hard to put in place, but would it be possible to have battle not operate ona "side A vs. Side B" basis, and rather on a "Nation Vs. Nation" basis?

just follow me for a second; like I said, this is rather complicated in the current system where all nations are at war: but lets say we have scenario A: Battle: Britain v France. Pirates can then enter the battle, but not on any side, but making the battle a 3 way battle (Brit v. French v. Rat)

So basically all battles are open for pirates to enter, regardless of the match-up, and will always side with fellow pirates. (and thus incur FF penalties)

But what about a Pirate vs. Pirate battle? Same system; first nation to come across it has dibs, so you end up having a Pirate v Pirate v (insert Nation Here). After one nation has joined a pirate v pirate battle, no other nations can join. 

Now, later on should peace and alliance systems be put in place, Nations that are allied with each other will be considered the same side (I.e. Spain+Brit vs. Dutch +French v Pirate= still a 3 way battle) but that is farther down the line

• Like 2

Pirates should just be red at all times to all players what ever side they join, non fire agreements can be made in person without any hand holding mechanics, it solves all the existing problems of pirates joining battles to avoid being hit and takes away the ability to suddenly be a nation in a battle.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hello,

All my apology, i heard pirate can hit other pirate
So today i enter in a party engaged by captain barbossa
I help him to kill the ennemi

Then on ending battle i kill the bauth, the npc enemy and the player pirate barbossa (was pirate too)
I mean at this time as a pirate im free to kill who i want
On chanel Help players confirmed me pirate can do it, but they dont mentioned, not if you join a party

So all my appology i just start playing i was rank 2 with this pirates and 2 with my french captain.
Old player on french chanel explain me, my error, i send private message to give my appology ingame and here

Hope you will accepte my real appologies (we was just lvl 2) and him too

Have a new question :
If you engage a Fight with a NPC
And player join your party Like GameOver does
He fight with you

He aboard the ennemy
And he capture the ennemy you engaged first, he just sell the ship on shop
Why ist considered as a Kill Steel ?

Is not same blame to join a party and friendly fire the player ?

Bauth action are same no ?

Edited by Louea

Green on green damage is not allowed

if the player is green to you in the tab interface and you sink him your progress will be reset to 0. Multiple green on green kills will cause account bans

This is in the game and forum rules.

Process is automatic

• 2 months later...

This needs an IMMEDIATE edit... there are people using this rule to effectively troll other players by preventing them from capturing their ships (if they lay claim to it). Either institute a roll system for loot and captured ships... or change the rule so that it prevents other people from forcing players away from their prize (if they do it, they get wiped or banned). This rule in its current state is ridiculous... and no, it's not mentioned anywhere in-game nor on the Steam forums. You might want to fix that.

As an example here is a scenario:

Player A starts a battle. Player B gets pulled into it or joins on their own. Player A states at the start of the battle that he intends to capture ship 1. Player B says nothing to the contrary and makes no claim. Player A gets the crew down and attempts boarding and Player B starts boarding. 

That prize should go to Player A.

Second example:

Player A starts a battle. Player B gets pulled into it or joins on their own. Player A states at the start of the battle that he intends to capture ship 1. Player B says nothing to the contrary and makes no claim. Player A gets the crew down and attempts boarding and Player B rams his ship away. Player A tries to reboard and Player B continues to try and get in the way.

Player A should be able to have that prize as well.

I'm seeing a LOT of griefing in this game because the opposing players know they can't be sunk. It's a joke.

Ramming a friendly ship without permission to stop them from boarding an enemy ship (or to interrupt their boarding) is green on green damage and is actionable.  Take enough screen shots to prove that it happened and post a tribunal thread.

The rest of it is annoying to be sure.  Discussions internally are ongoing to find a solution.

If you are enforcing this rule then fix group members joining in battle. Yesterday my 2 people group attcked other player with my group mate joining after battle stared and he ended beeing red to me and green to our target.

That shouldn't have happened.  Please F11 when it happens so that Game Labs can fix the issue.  If you are pirates, this is a known issue.  Thanks!

Well its sound and good but. one catch. if somebody wants to Steal your Cargo snow that you hunted for 7 mins. and runs away with it. and you know that will happen . ramming them away from the boarding is the only option? you need to put a roll system or that both gets equally shared loot. or both gets the same amount when looting a enemy trader or contraband. Of course Green on Green shouldent happen but. the lack of futures in the alpha forces one to do things

Edited by King Leonidas

anybody knows if the screenshots which are made by sending an report, are saved anywhere local too?

Cause i got rammed and sunk by a friendly consti and frigate in a npc battle...

I did file an ingame report, but after that i read here to also post it, but i havent made an screenshot on my own.

Any advice and info if there will be consequences for those players?