Game-Labs Forum

USS Niagara (New Ship to Be Added)

Surprise new vessel announcement!

The extreme clipper-built brig USS Niagara will be added to Naval Action. Niagara served as flagship for the United States' other War of 1812 triumph, the Battle of Lake Erie. If you've seen this video, you can see why USS Lawrence started the battle as flagship, but Niagara ended it. A century later, her remains were raised from the lakebed, and some of her timbers incorporated in the sail training vessel that operates out of Erie, PA.

Her very low, sharp hull and towering rig make her a sort of Lynx with square rig, and Niagara ought to be one of the game's fastest vessels. The brig's very shallow draft made her comparatively leewardly, however, so we might expect to see her speed drop off sharply any closer than 80 degrees to the wind.

Perhaps the most exciting thing about this announcement is that a certain 'shipbuilder Andrew' has been credited. I am speculating, but could he be the first to provide usermade content to the game?

Brig_Niagara_full_sail.jpg

11109150_500429593448297_708603426292464

11221966_500430193448237_843457378921666

• Like 11

The shallow draft will put the wales into the water at a full press of sail but like you said she will be fast. Question is, is the Rattlesnake faster? I can't wait for both of these TBH.

Picturing a privateer fleet with Lynxs, Niagaras and Rattlesnakes. Though we would be banned from attacking trading ships by the ROE I'm sure...

Niagara is an extreme vessel thatv demands a lot of skill and caution to reduce the threat of capsize or being driven onto a lee shore.

But she's far more equipped for the open sea than the likes of Lynx, and far larger than the yacht, cutter or Pickle. Mercury is also a sort of 'lake' vessel, since she was designed for the Black Sea (a far less dangerous body of water than Lake Erie, in point of fact).

If anything Nigara's crew would be happy to see the last of shallow Erie's steep waves and nonexistent sea room.

I had to compare the Niagara to the Mercury for the last few minutes.

Checking plans I came to the conclution that the design is about the same. They look strikingly related.

Niagara Length: 33.7 m <-> Mercury length: 29.46m.

Guncount will be the same as well as shotweight. I dont think we will get a 32pd Carronade Niagara O_o

In conclution:

She will be lightning fast but suffers in turning compared to the Mercury. And Mercury already is really fast.. hmm...

just my guess ;)

I wasn't too keen on having the lake boats in the open world, but that's a gorgeous model...  :D

Anyway, Niagra is very large for a brig, extremely fast, heavily armed, big crew. But all things come at a price, her draught and freeboard border on non-existent (I'm serious, she draws significantly less water than the Lynx), meaning rough weather would be "interesting" to say the least, and with such a large crew in a hull with next to nil capacity for provisions her range would be extremely limited. She was after all never designed to operate far from home, so that's how it is.

But yeah, seriously pretty model, stunningly close to the real ship.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what is the process from workable model to in game use? Stats agreed upon, price set, coding emplaced, patch? IE - What needs to be done so we can be kids at Christmas?

There's no process yet, which is why I really want to hear from Andrew. (Assuming his actual name isn't Andrei the GameLabs employee)

Just out of curiosity, what is the process from workable model to in game use? Stats agreed upon, price set, coding emplaced, patch? IE - What needs to be done so we can be kids at Christmas?

These facts remain behind closed doors. 

Guncount will be the same as well as shotweight. I dont think we will get a 32pd Carronade Niagara O_o

I don't see why she shouldn't get 32pd carronades. Likewise, I don't see why the Mercury doesn't get 24pd carronades (subbing for very short Russian 24s she carried). The weight equivalence by class is off in game (32pdr = 9lb long gun, not 12), but each carronade should really be in its own class (like the 18pdr carronade already is), as even where some smaller ships could carry the weight of a long gun they might not have the room or crew to work it. This has lead to the situation where many small ship broadsides and larger ship top works are allowed never carried or carried and found to be unworkable overarmament in long guns, but can't carry historical loadouts for carronades.

• Like 2

I don't think having shallow draft aids turning, because short, deep British frigates were considered more handy than long, shallow French frigates. French frigates also tended to be long in wearing, which is the same thing as a downwind manual sails turn.

Niagara is very shallow and wide for her length. That probably leads to close-hauled performance more than maneuverability.