Game-Labs Forum

Sea Lords Marine Francaise

Bienvenue!

The Sea Lords Virtual Fleets have been in existence for 15 years.

Marine Francaise have kept the SLRN at bay for all this time. But now we need your help.

The call goes out for all able-bodied souls to come to the aid of Marine Francaise to keep all enemies at bay. The enemies of France are many, our friends are few.

Sea Lords Marine Francaise, (SLMFr), ask only that you are willing to sail and fight in an atmosphere of respect and are willing to accept English as the working language of the fleet.  French knowledge is great and antagonizes les anglaise no end.

Our members are world wide for all fleets. Our guns do the talking.....afterwards we relax over a few in the Dog & Duck Inn

We are a casual fleet who are here to have fun. But make no mistake mes amis...the French Channel will be a stepping stone to Kent, and one day their children will sing  La Marsellaise in their school rooms.

Viv l'Roi...  Viv l'France!

• Like 5

Autres capitaines,

why to join MFr? Bravery against all odds is the answer.

Today, 255 years ago the Battle of Restigouche happened, which was one of the final chapters of the Seven years war. Most notable about this battle is the fact, that brave French Acadians managed to defend their positions with local militias, one frigate of 32 guns (Le Machault) and couple of schooners against a british force consisting of a 74-gun (HMS Fame) and 70-gun 3rd rates (HMS Dorsetshire), 60-gun 4th rate (HMS Achilles), 32-gun frigate HMS Repulse and 29-gun frigate HMS Scarborough (if anybody pls knows, why 29 guns, please let me know) for 17 days. The French only surrenderred after they ran out of all available gunpowder.

The battle meant that the French possibilities of retaining New France were all diminished.

I attach a song referencing the war.

For further information about the battle, please see the following old canadian site>

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/205/301/ic/cdc/restigouche/engtoc.htm

Edited by marecek05

Autres capitaines,

why to join MFr? Bravery against all odds is the answer.

Today, 255 years ago the Battle of Restigouche happened, which was one of the final chapters of the Seven years war. Most notable about this battle is the fact, that brave French Acadians managed to defend their positions with local militias, one frigate of 32 guns (Le Machault) and couple of schooners against a british force consisting of a 74-gun (HMS Fame) and 70-gun 3rd rates (HMS Dorsetshire), 60-gun 4th rate (HMS Achilles), 32-gun frigate HMS Repulse and 29-gun frigate HMS Scarborough (if anybody pls knows, why 29 guns, please let me know) for 17 days. The French only surrenderred after they ran out of all available gunpowder.

The battle meant that the French possibilities of retaining New France were all diminished.

In remembrance of this gank by RN (they never seem to fight fair, do they? It seems they only talk about fairness :-P), I attach a song referencing the war.

For further information about the battle, please see the following old canadian site>

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/205/301/ic/cdc/restigouche/engtoc.htm

That place is 200km from where i live...And i am acadian, so we`re tenacious people you can kick us out and will come back ;-) And today is also my birthday,  everything is in everything.

I`ve tried to make a speech (copied from Jack Aubrey):

Do you want to drink gin instead of wine

NOOOO

Do you want to have that drunken tyrant George for your king

NOOOOO

Do you want your kid to sing God Save the King.

NOOOO

Then join La Marine Française

• Like 3

Cher Capitaines,

209 years ago was a sad day for France.

After a successful campaign against British shipping, especially The honourable east india company, the French privateer 32 gun frigate La Bellone under the command of capitaine Jacques Francois Perroud, which included among others the very profitable capture of  east indiaman Lord Nelson was captured.

On 9 July 1806, the Bellone was prowling waters near Ceylon, looking for shipping to capture, when she was sighted by a 16 gun brig HMS Rattlesnake under captain John Bastard, which started a relentless pursuit. Capitaine Perroud unwilling to risk damage to his ship far from friendly port (Mauritius and Reunion being the closest) decided to avoid the unprofitable engagement with navy brig. The pursuit by the brig brought La Bellone on an intercepting course of HMS Powerful, thrid rate of 74 under the command of captain Rober Plampin. La Bellone facing unfavorable wind conditions and being heavily outgunned decided on a daring escape route between the HMS Powerful and shore. Due to the winds favouring the HMS Powerful, La Bellone was after a short chase brought into a gun range of 6 foward chasers of HMS Powerful, while her having only 4 rear chasers.

Exchange of fire continued while the HMS Powerful steadily gained on the La Bellone. La Bellone did not manage to damage the rigging of HMS Powerful to a degree that would allow her escape, although managed to kill 2 and wound 11. HMS Powerful also did not manage to do substantial damage to La Bellone, killing 1 and wounding 7.

Capitaine Perroud struck his flag after HMS Powerful was close enough and started wearing for a broadside, which would have been utterly devastating for a frigate.

After the engagement Capitaine Perroud was comended for bravery in facing much superior oponent, but not wasting the lives of his men when defeat became unevitable.

La Bellone was captured and put into service as HMS Blanche.

British public and scholars were hower unsatisified with the outcome for some reason, with historians calling it a "lamentable decline in British gunnery".

I attach a link to Captain Plampin's description of the action in the gazzette

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16013/page/378

and the song to motivate french privateers in their continued efforts against British shipping in the Indian ocean.

• Like 1

I`ve tried to make a speech (copied from Jack Aubrey):

Do you want to drink gin instead of wine

NOOOO

Do you want to have that drunken tyrant George for your king

NOOOOO

Do you want your kid to sing God Save the King.

NOOOO

Then join La Marine Française

Or be an American. I make a daily celebration of saying "Fuck the King"

The mates cheer with me and well copious amounts of alcohol we're had and that's how I got stuck in the stockades.

• Like 1

Cher Capitaines!

On 11th July 1787, French frigate L'Imperieuse was launched in Toulon. She belonged to the Minerve (Junon) class of frigates designed by Joseph-Marie-Blaise Coulomb. She featured rounder hull than was the French standard (especially compared to straight lines produced by Sané), and as such was not as much favoured by the contemporary French captains.

As a fifth rate, she mounted 26 French 18-pounders and 10 French 8-pounders and had a complement of 325 men.

She ended up captured by HMS Captain in October 1783 and entered Royal Navy as HMS Imperieuse. In British service she carried one more pair of 18 pounder guns and carronades and 6 pounders instead 8 pounders. She was later renamed HMS Unite and continued in British service until being broken up in 1852.

Basques_Road-Thomas_Whitcombe-217057.JPG

HMS Imperieuse (in the foreground) in the Battle of the Basque Road by Thomas Whitcombe.

S! Mes amis

First off I apoligize for not being here as often as I should be. My job takes me away too often at times. :(

Secondly, and most importantly, I would like to say that the SLMFr, (Sea Lords Marine Francaise), are a casual group who have kept the Royal Navy at bay for many years.

We will continue to do this.

Naval Action has much to offer as I'm sure you are aware.

We use english as a working language as the SL members are world wide.

Cher Capitaines!

on this day in 1801, Spanish 74-gun third rate San Genaro (28 26-pounder guns, 30 18-pounder guns, 16 8-pounder guns, crew of 530) was given to France as part of obligation of His Most Catholic Majesty Charles IV after the Third treaty of San Ildefonso (1800).

According to this treaty, France was to ensure the establishment of a kingdom in northern Italy under the reign of infante Louis Francis of Bourbon-Parma and support his reign. In return, Spain would be obliged to retrocede Luisiana back to France and give France six 74-gun third rates in good condition.

Ships that were given to France as part of this agreement:

San Antonio > Saint Antoine

Atlante > L'Atlas

San Genaro > L'Ulyssé

Interpido > L'Intrépide

Conquistador > L'Conquérant

Pelayo > Desaix

The treaty is considered to be very one sided, strongly benefiting France and being entered into under duress (Berthier, Napoleon's chief of staff signed it on behalf of France). It serves as a witness to the conclusion that while Clausewitz considered war to be only an extension of diplomacy, for revolutionary France, diplomacy was only an extension of its military.

Picture of San Genaro>

san%20genaro.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cher Capitaines!

Do you sail for France? Do you want to sail with a group? Do you prefer a little role play and like history and historical accuracy over min/max style gaming?

Sea Lords Marine Francaise is just for you then!

Come and apply!