Game-Labs Forum

Hello Game-Labs!

I came up with a suggestion, 1st person camera mode. One thing that many people would like is to sail a 1st rate in 1st person view!

The sheer size of the ship, plus all the weaponry is a very cool sight, even cooler during a storm or battle, with splinters and powder smoke flying everywhere!

It doesn't has to be too advanced, something of the sort that Potbs has. There, the camera zooms in to the maximum, revealing a deck view  that allowed for some cool moments despite the bad playability.

Or you can focus on the Assassin's Creed Black Flag's style. With much more detail, functionality and action that Potbs one.

I would so enjoy the deck view on the current available ship models, they are astounding!

93eq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! Was just sitting here and thinking and hoping it would be in. Also hoping we will be able to access the captains cabin. The ships looks beautiful, can't wait to see it in first person myself :D

I agree with you! Cabin access would give such a bump in roleplay! It would be incredibly awesome if several players could meet on each others ships, for planning purposes.

I agree with you! Cabin access would give such a bump in roleplay! It would be incredibly awesome if several players could meet on each others ships, for planning purposes.

This is verging on the kind of ship interior layout as implemented by Perfect World in Star Trek Online. I approve!

This is verging on the kind of ship interior layout as implemented by Perfect World in Star Trek Online. I approve!

I never played Star Trek Online but my research shows that a similar system for Naval Action could work well!

Although not every ship will have its own cabin model in my opinion. It would take up a lot of developing time and artist manpower that could be better used somewhere else.

I'm all for roleplaying in a good looking game like this one, cant wait for the avatar development!

• 2 weeks later...

I am very curious if any of you here on the forums have ever played East India Company

Personally, I thought that the naval combat engine was a bit sub-par. However, coming from PotBS, I did like  few aspects of the direct ship control.

Most notably, the ability to change your perspective in the 1st person view from the view of the helmsman/Captain to facing either port or starboard side, or facing off the bow or stern. In PotBS, you can zoom in close enough to get a sort of 1st person view, but you are stuck in that one spot, the camera will only ever rotate and zoom around that one central node (the player's avatar on the ship),

However, in EIC there is little camera freedom when in the direct control mode. You are not allowed to rotate or zoom with the camera, something I consider a drawback. While on one of the broadsides, one should at least be able to rotate a 180 from bow to stern for that side.

I would very much like to see the ability to have different 1st person vantage points from the ship while in combat. Perhaps even amongst the rigging.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe you can walk around in your ship interior, such as go to your cabin, or see the seamen on deck as you walk?  :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think also you can rank up in the Royal Navy if you choose it. Such as getting a comission to Middie, then ranking up. Your ship depends on your rank, so as a middie youd get a cutter, etc. Your crew gets uniforms, such as when you are an Admiral you get a captain, and 3 lieutenants, and 3 midshipmen, some marines, and how many seaman.

Edited by Echo4890

Good to know you've enjoyed that beauty that the 74 is!

I think also you can rank up in the Royal Navy if you choose it. Such as getting a comission to Middie, then ranking up. Your ship depends on your rank, so as a middie youd get a cutter, etc. Your crew gets uniforms, such as when you are an Admiral you get a captain, and 3 lieutenants, and 3 midshipmen, some marines, and how many seaman.

I don't think that this is possible, as it looks like a levelling system, and Naval Action will not have levels, maybe it will pack player reputation I'm unsure.

Id like to see what other people think of this idea.

I'm not going to get into the ranking idea, but the idea of walking about on your ship is a good one.

The issue is more related to the technical feasibility of it.

1) there will be no human avatars, it is a very huge block of development and will delay a game significantly. But as we are adding an animated crew it will be possible to add this feature much later (maybe)

We have not yet decided if we want to allow the player to walk on deck or not. We will see.

The devs have no concrete plans to implement player avatars, and if they do implement them, it will be pretty far along in the development process.

Player avatars will likely require a fair bit of additional development time, especially if they are in any way involved in combat.

The things they would need to work on include, but are not limited to,

• Both Male and Female Character Models
  • Clothing Options (for both genders)
  • Hairstyles (for both genders)
  • other 3D models (Buildings, Trees, Civilians, Clutter, etc...)
  • Explorable Game environments using these 3D models (multiple Towns (with interiors?), a ship's cabin. (for many types of vessel?)
  • Overhauls to object collision to accommodate freedom of movement aboard your vessel. (or you might just fall through the ship, and out of the game world.)

I would also love to be able to roam about my ship, and venture to the tavern in the local port, as would many people here.

As you can see however, that requires quite a few things that otherwise might not ever need be done.

You aren't the first to suggest this, and perhaps if enough people show an interest, the devs will make it happen.

Either way, I'm really excited about this game.

Hi Echo

We currently have no time and resources to work on deck interiors. 

But after pre-orders start we will announce some stretch goals that if funded will be put into development

Deck interiors could be one of them

Additionally to what SirThorne just said about player models, I´d like to add that interiors are a complete nightmare for ship modellers because of the research required to get them right.

Take my Panthère, for example:

untitled111.jpg

These are the question I had to find answers for:

- are the side galleries 'just' badges or were they accessible? If the latter, where was the door?

- what did the built-in furniture look like? Did the walls of the captain´s cabin have a panelling?

- what did the floor loke like?

- what kind of removeable furniture was probably there?

- is the middle window blocked by the extension of the rudder (in case the ship was steered with a tiller on the QD)?

That´s a lot of questions for a place that would look nice but doesn´t have a real gameplay value.

I´d rather have the NA team focus on more important things now.

Regards,

Bava

Edit: Ninja´d by admin :P

• Like 2

Not to mention, all those interior walls disappear during combat.

Personally, I'd rather see a bit more detail on the exteriors: boats in the waist, course sheets and a full set of braces. I realize that a furnished captain's cabin has more value to the 95% of players who don't know anything about rigging, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to get into the ranking idea, but the idea of walking about on your ship is a good one.

The issue is more related to the technical feasibility of it.

The devs have no concrete plans to implement player avatars, and if they do implement them, it will be pretty far along in the development process.

Player avatars will likely require a fair bit of additional development time, especially if they are in any way involved in combat.

The things they would need to work on include, but are not limited to,

• Both Male and Female Character Models
  • Clothing Options (for both genders)
  • Hairstyles (for both genders)
  • other 3D models (Buildings, Trees, Civilians, Clutter, etc...)
  • Explorable Game environments using these 3D models (multiple Towns (with interiors?), a ship's cabin. (for many types of vessel?)
  • Overhauls to object collision to accommodate freedom of movement aboard your vessel. (or you might just fall through the ship, and out of the game world.)

Except for the last item in the list, I don't see why all this would be necessary in order to be able to walk on the decks. We are just talking about the possibility to move the camera with the 'adsw' keys at walking speed and maybe add some footstep sounds. This simple option would add a wealth of immersion. Imagine running to the forecastle in order to get a better view at a sail ahead on the horizon. Or walking to the back of the ship to inspect the mizzen staysail. As long as you don't put any mirrors on deck, the player wouldn't need to look at himself, right?

I agree that modelling ship interior and especially town environments should have much lower priority though.

• 8 months later...