Game-Labs Forum

In Game Individual Ship Ownership History

While reading the "What will you name your ship" thread in the Tavern, I had an idea:

Ships to retain a history of player ownership.

Similar to that of a corporation in eve, or player Corp history, players can see what had happened with that vessel throughout the game. This could add alot of incentive to capture a ship... But can also provide a mechanism for "ship lore".

No idea if this has been suggested. But it would give me a reason to name a ship... (maybe the history doesn't retain the name... Player ship names can get ridiculous... But record the irl date of ownership and Player name).

Edit: example

Trincomale "War Song", ownership:

2/2/2015 Grim DeGrim

2/10/2015 Prater (because Prat captured it on this date...)

Etc...

Edited by Grim DeGrim
  • Like 5

[...]

2/2/2015 Grim DeGrim

Etc...

I'd like a very fleshed out history for the ships I capture- erm, "salvage". I'm sure this could lead to a lot of good natured bragging as well:

Trincomale, History:

Ordered: XX/XX/XX

Captain: Grim DeGrim

Christened: War Song

Maiden Voyage: XX/XX/XX       

Captured: XX/XX/XX

By Captain: Prater

Re-Christened: Grim's Ship lol

Edited by William the Drake
  • Like 1

if ships dont sink like they always do in death match then there is a GLIMMER of hope for this.

Open World feature. But yes... It depends, I might want to surrender just because the ship is 2 years old.

Conversely, I might take it to Davy Jones locker b/c I don't want someone else to have it. But my opponent might feel differently :)

I'm sure there could be other features tied to it... I don't want to get carried away... This could tie into the reputation mechanic:

1. I could lose rep for having a ship be sunk. But I lose alot more if it sinks versus surrendered. So I have encentive to surrender (maintains ship history)

2. If I capture a ship, renowned, maybe the reputation gain is worth 1 point more (eg).

Edited by Grim DeGrim

I would love that especially if we had some amount of custom customization when ordering (not buying) ships. Like choosing a pattern and separate colors, sails colors and so on - for extra super bonus gold obviously. If these customizations would then stick to a ship, we would end up with few and far between unique ships, maybe only launched by alliances and groups instead of individuals. These ship could then create stories by themselves, and getting your hands on one could be as much a blessing as a curse - as it's previous captain or even his whole group would race to re-take it back.

Buuuut... im getting kinda far out :P

• Like 1

I like the idea of the ship's history being recorded somewhere. This is one of those ideas that isn't all that hard to implement, yet... it does still take time, and it always takes more time to implement something correctly than you would think. So maybe we should put it on the 'Nice to have' feature list for the future, instead of just forgetting about it.

~Brigand

• 2 weeks later...

I would totally agree with this.

The only caveat would be that you should have to be at such a distance (200 metres?), as this would add a sense of realism.

This would allow the pop-ip box: "One of your sailors recognises this ship".

• Like 1

The only caveat would be that you should have to be at such a distance (200 metres?), as this would add a sense of realism.

That's a different perspective... One I have not considered. To clarify the OP, I was originally intending it to be more of a log, of sorts, that documents the history of the ship.

BUT! if a ship were famous enough, perhaps the portion of history related to a national group might be recognized / remembered and could form part of known Intel.

Eg:

Grim's ship, sailing for France, captured by Prater of US.

Prater's ship (formerly Grim's), sailing for US, captured by Caldwell of England.

---

3 years later, a French vessel passes within "x" number of meters and recognizes Grim's ship in the hands of Britain (as frequently happened with French ships!). But the in between history would not be certain until the ship is captured.

• Like 1

Maybe a little off the topic but I was thinking something like a daily or weekly newspaper (that could possibly be made into an app) that would update everyone on current events. Things such as major battles, ship loss, etc... Might be a nice way to feel connected while youre at work.

• Like 3

That's a different perspective... One I have not considered. To clarify the OP, I was originally intending it to be more of a log, of sorts, that documents the history of the ship.

BUT! if a ship were famous enough, perhaps the portion of history related to a national group might be recognized / remembered and could form part of known Intel.

Eg:

Grim's ship, sailing for France, captured by Prater of US.

Prater's ship (formerly Grim's), sailing for US, captured by Caldwell of England.

---

3 years later, a French vessel passes within "x" number of meters and recognizes Grim's ship in the hands of Britain (as frequently happened with French ships!). But the in between history would not be certain until the ship is captured.

An excellent idea, and would certainly add some realism and lore.

Maybe a little off the topic but I was thinking something like a daily or weekly newspaper (that could possibly be made into an app) that would update everyone on current events. Things such as major battles, ship loss, etc... Might be a nice way to feel connected while youre at work.

Like a Naval Gazette?

• Like 2

While reading the "What will you name your ship" thread in the Tavern, I had an idea:

Ships to retain a history of player ownership.

Similar to that of a corporation in eve, or player Corp history, players can see what had happened with that vessel throughout the game. This could add alot of incentive to capture a ship... But can also provide a mechanism for "ship lore".

No idea if this has been suggested. But it would give me a reason to name a ship... (maybe the history doesn't retain the name... Player ship names can get ridiculous... But record the irl date of ownership and Player name).

2/2/2015 Grim DeGrim

Etc...

a good idea 

This is a good one, could even use its own thread... I'd recommend, Clinch, that you put this into the running thread for "Little Things You'd like to see".

Ways this could work:

- IF kills are API based they can take any events over "x" amount of sinks/captures in a time frame. I'd suggest the information be approximately correct (I'm sure misinformation was quite common after certain events back then...). That gets posted in the daily or weekly gazette (or equivalent).

- if level "x" is not reached, but activity at lower levels occurred in high volumes, then a general warning for that area could be issued... And be a cue for local Navies to get out and protect their waters...

But I'm putting words in your post :) in short, I like the idea.

Edited by Grim DeGrim