Game-Labs Forum

List of ships and other vessels in the game

Brigand

Thought it would be nice to gather the ever growing list of ships into a nice spreadsheet. If you spot any errors, please let me know (I intent on keeping this up-to-date).

f07vwl.png

Note:

Historic broadside weight listed in English pounds, converted from national units of weight:

2v2e2vt.jpg

Cheers,

Brigand

Edited by Brigand
updated table
  • Like 24

It's L'Unité.

Updated

Shouldn't the snow have to be called simply "snow"? IIRC our Snow is based on the Ontario, but sooner or later the real Ontario will be included in the game :)

Updated, in compromise (I think it is useful to preserve the information that the in-game snow is based on the HMS Ontario

List of ship types: 

http://www.thepirateking.com/ships/ship_types.htm

All 1-4 rates should be Man of War type I believe.

I know the website, it is not the most informed information so to say.

A 'Man of War' was a general (laymen) term to describe a war ship. The term is mostly associated with the 17th century.

Cheers,

Brigand

Edited by Brigand
  • Like 1

I'm not that far in the game, to have most of the ships, but historically you should make some corrections.

Surprise was a corvette, but listed as a 28-gun frigate and a sixth-rate after 1798 bye the RN after capture.

Constitution had nominally just 44-guns and would have been a fifth-rate in RN.

After 1817, when RN included carronades in the counting, she would have been fourth-rate, but never a third-rate.

Surprise was a corvette, but listed as a 28-gun frigate and a sixth-rate after 1798 bye the RN after capture.

Constitution had nominally just 44-guns and would have been a fifth-rate in RN.

After 1817, when RN included carronades in the counting, she would have been fourth-rate, but never a third-rate.

and

Cerberus has already been added to the game

Thanks, updated.

~Brigand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallas-class_frigate_(1808)

since we still dont know wich Renommée.

1794:
VZ322.jpg
Pallas Class 1808:

La_Thetis_1813_model.jpg

The first photo = Renommé of 1744: http://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/20-monographie-de-la-renommee-fregate-de-8-1744.html

The second photo = The Thétis 18-pdr, laid down 1813 lancé 1819, struck from lists 1866 (model to MNM of Rochefort)

:) 

Nice work Brigand.

I would add a column for the nations, to know which nation the ships belong to, such as : UK, USA, Spain, France

Yeah, that would be a good idea. I may need a little help with that though and I'm not sure on how to list the nation for vessels that where captured and recommissioned?

I think you should name Bellona and upwards ships of the line. Every vessel listed is a "ship", this term is far to general.

The rigging should be changed into "full-rigged" for all of the frigates and SoLs.

Well, no, far from it. A brig is not a ship, not even ship rigged. A frigate is a ship rigged vessel, but they differ from a ship in hull lines, so they are not a 'ship' in the 17th and 18th century sense of the word either. Also, a 'ship' is by definition 'fully rigged' the introduction of the term 'fully rigged ship' did not emerge until the widespread introduction of 'steam ships'. The term was used to differentiate between the opposed 'tall ships' (which also included barks and barkentines).

I'm not making up this terminology, instead I apply the terminology as used in the age of sail.

~Brigand

Yeah, that would be a good idea. I may need a little help with that though and I'm not sure on how to list the nation for vessels that where captured and recommissioned?

~Brigand

For example :

bateaugrille.jpg

May be color should be saved only for the nations . I'm afraid it becomes unreadable with too much colors

But without color in names, chronological order should be chosen : L'Unité / Surprise instead of Surprise/L'Unité.

Don't know whats guys you think about it.

Would suggest in the first column to indicate the original name of the ship on the language of the country to which it belongs, not only in English.

Mercury (Меркурий)

Ingermanland (Ингерманланд)

Done, although I'm not sure my current layout is the most helpful.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1

Thanks.

I think column "Nation" will look logical after the columns "name" "english"

Chapman yacht is a swedish ship?

not sure 

"Bellona" - Great Britain, not France

Updated.

Yeah, the Chapman yacht is Swedish, or at least, Chapman was Swedish and the yacht in the game is based on his plans in his Architectura Navalis (plan 44, vessel nr. 3).

~Brigand

Ok, I didn´t know that ship-rigged was the old term for full rigged. As a German it sounds that stupid that I thought "It has to be wrong".

But the old term "ship" was used for every vessel with 3 or more square rigged masts + bowsprite, nevertheless Bellona, Victory Santissima and the future "big Boys" are Ships of the Line in type.

I hope that the confusion is over now.