Game-Labs Forum

A treatise on Naval Action: a complete guide - Mr. Doran

Mr. Doran

Thank you for this. I like the attempt at old style treatise layout. Works good.

Just a remark regarding into and through the wind, when turning, pictures are worth a thousand words, no matter how many videos are posted on YT...

GJ

Can we get a TL;DR version of this?  :P Because I'm sure there will be many newbro's out there who will take one look at the wall of text here and say "This is far too long" not read it and end up running their Brig into an allied 1st Ruate

If they dont read it they will perish.

A compilation of 750 matches testing. Very nice, you just saved me 400 hours more sailing (assuming I catch on as fast).

I'm confused, though. According to the Leaderboard, Doran has won under half of those 750 matches.

Everyone was thinking it...

• Like 1

I see shades of our Constitution Duel here Mr. Doran...  Glad I could help you refine your tactics...  :D   And now you've done the same for me... Cheers!  ;)

I hope most people are like this is too long and don't read it. ;)  This is something that should take work to figure out.

You may live to regret those words Prater, when the game releases... and we get Rammed by noobs...  :lol:

• Like 1

I'm confused, though. According to the Leaderboard, Doran has won under half of those 750 matches.

Everyone was thinking it...

Everytime you duel it lowers your average. It does not count a win or loss therefore lowering my win average to an abysmal rate..

I see shades of our Constitution Duel here Mr. Doran...  Glad I could help you refine your tactics...  :D   And now you've done the same for me... Cheers!  ;)

You may live to regret those words Prater, when the game releases... and we get Rammed by noobs...  :lol:

Those rules were well cemented in place before our duels :P

• Like 1

Everytime you duel it lowers your average. It does not count a win or loss therefore lowering my win average to an abysmal rate..

Well that's completely backwards, isn't it?

Since most group battles are won or lost due to the useless matchmaker and not your own skill...

• Like 2

I will never regret those words, because the less people who knows about it, the easier it is for people like me and Mr Doran.  But if he wants to release it, that's fine. :D  This is his science, too much thought and science for me.  I usually just go by feel and experience.  I can't keep all these different situations and the proper thing to do in each in my head.

I do disagree on one point though.  It is rarely ever necessary to completely cut your sails.  You can do most of it with your yards 99% of the time.  The only time you should cut your sails is if your opponent is doing it and it will hurt you.  In that case sit on his stupid stern and keep firing until he moves.  Really, some people will just sit there and not move until you kill them.  Wetworth got 13k damage in a snow because a victory wouldn't move so he just sat there and kept firing into the person who apparently doesn't want to play a sailing game.  And the Victory complained about it.  If you cut your sails in game while in a victory you deserve to get sunk by a snow.

Another bonus of using your yards over going to stop is that you completely lose the ability to instantly pick up speed.  Your sails have to set, instead of instantly taking the "break off" when you hit autoskipper. 

I will never regret those words, because the less people who knows about it, the easier it is for people like me and Mr Doran.  But if he wants to release it, that's fine. :D  This is his science, too much thought and science for me.  I usually just go by feel and experience.  I can't keep all these different situations and the proper thing to do in each in my head.

I do disagree on one point though.  It is rarely ever necessary to completely cut your sails.  You can do most of it with your yards 99% of the time.  The only time you should cut your sails is if your opponent is doing it and it will hurt you.  In that case sit on his stupid stern and keep firing until he moves.  Really, some people will just sit there and not move until you kill them.  Wetworth got 13k damage in a snow because a victory wouldn't move so he just sat there and kept firing into the person who apparently doesn't want to play a sailing game.  All the while the Victory was complaining the entire time.  If you cut your sails in game while in a victory you deserve to get sunk by a snow.

Another bonus of using your yards over going to stop is that you completely lose the ability to instantly pick up speed.  Your sails have to set, instead of instantly taking the "break off" when you hit autoskipper. 

gimme a quote or or hit me up on steam because the guide does not advocate cutting sails in almost every situations

At one point you talk about full stop, not sure where, and the other you talk about mashing s, which I assumed to be the same but I could have been mistaken on what you mean.  Two tiny points I disagree with, but the only two.

P.s.  I dread to see an entire organization taught by you with these mechanics.  But I welcome the challenge (depending on whether you are pirates or privateers and what nation you decide to be) :D