Game-Labs Forum

La Fregate La Tuite aka La Recherche

Hello here is La Tuite 1787 (source is all-model.com) in the drawings it is a 14 gun corvette but according to wikipedia is was renamed to Recherche and reclassed as a 12 gun frigate. 

In game it could be a high speed light ship (has three mast sails) with decent maneuverability and perhaps the ability to carry decent armament.

eDeM0jN.jpg

95lZfJb.jpg

3dJUKmL.jpg

I also have started to model this ship for fun (mostly because it is so small and good practice for ship modelling). I think someone with experience could model this ship easily but i guess there is alot to puting a ship into the game other then modelling (like the bow coming off moving parts like sails and rudder etc.).

So here is what it might look like 

n0IrCgg.jpg

• Like 2

That looks great. Interesting that they would re-class it to a frigate since it carried less guns than a 6th rate.

Ye its interesting how few guns it has. Maybe they were of larger calibre like 9 or 12 pdr. I also remember someone saying the french calibre was larger then the british equivalent also.

She was one of two ships sent on an exploration mission in search of the missing La Pérouse expedition. The commander of La Recherche and the expedition was Bruni d'Entrecasteaux. Entrecasteaux was promoted to the rank of rear-admiral for the expedition. Possibly it was felt that a ship classified as a corvette was not suitable as a flagship for a rear-admiral, hence the reclassification.

This is not a corvette but a stable barge. Later and to make more beautiful, we speak of charge corvette. But it is a navy boat load, not a warship.

They are also used for exploration.

It is cool for modelling ! Great idea.

:)

Me too, for explorations is the top. Boat not too big, but with a big block. It is a boat that supports the high seas. It is sufficiently armed to protect themselves.

Kerguelen found its islands with the Gros-Ventre barge.

And other explorers used the barges. It's a good boat for the job.

This is not a corvette but a stable barge. Later and to make more beautiful, we speak of charge corvette. But it is a navy boat load, not a warship.

They are also used for exploration.

It is cool for modelling ! Great idea.

Good ship for privateer then maybe. Kill enemy merchant vessels and run from the rest.

I do not think it's a good boat for privateers. It is too slow and too much draft.

The privateer wants a fast boat with not much draft to induire closer to the coast or on shoal inaccessible to frigates or ships of the line.

I do not think it's a good boat for privateers. It is too slow and too much draft.

The privateer wants a fast boat with not much draft to induire closer to the coast or on shoal inaccessible to frigates or ships of the line.

it can't be that bad, it has a similar ratio to hms surprise while also being full rigged. probably weights alot less due to the lack of guns (14 6 pdr).

I issue great doubts about the use of barge boat as privateers. This is really not a boat that has the desired qualities for a privateer.

I could be wrong of course, but I do not think the French privateers have used barges.

For fun, here is a painting by F. Roux of the stable barge the Astrolabe 1811-1852. This is a sistership of the Truite.

f_roux10.jpg

And the model of the stable barge the Lionne; MNM of Paris, it is also a sistership.

m5026-18.jpg

m5026-19.jpg

m5026-20.jpg

m5026-21.jpg

m5026-22.jpg

• Like 4

Also, the Astrolabe model plans have a much better rigging plan shown in a lot more detail.  The other French ship post had a link to some plans to download.  You can't make a ship from them as it doesn't have enough information to make the hull, but La Truite does

Combine the La Truite hull with the Astrolabe rigging and you have a really great set of plans to work from.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1xK8yroHPifZDJWeUpybjc0SWc&usp=sharing&tid=0B1xK8yroHPifX3NaRGYyUV82NFk

3D model.

I can actually make an good 3D model, but so far Games-Labs hasn't released any information to 3D art guys like me about what they want.  All I have ever seen is that a the end of January they were going to put out a statement about user created ships.  It is mid February now.

It takes a lot of work to make a ship model, and I don't want to put in that kind of time and effort unless Games Labs will actually use the thing.

• Like 1

3D model.

I can actually make an good 3D model, but so far Games-Labs hasn't released any information to 3D art guys like me about what they want.  All I have ever seen is that a the end of January they were going to put out a statement about user created ships.  It is mid February now.

It takes a lot of work to make a ship model, and I don't want to put in that kind of time and effort unless Games Labs will actually use the thing.

The same for me, even if I did not practice 3d for several years,I m thinking about practicing again to fill the ships gap. But as you, I do not want to start working on a ship as long they do not provide us the tech requirements (we are waiting for 1 year :-( ). I guess they must find optimal tech requirements for their engine before providing them to us.