Game-Labs Forum

French ship Redoutable (1791)

Mass

This is the ship i want the most because its proper cool french ship

and she could be a flagship for  ships

And i have to say a french looking ship could be nice, because i want to be a frenchman and then i want somthing that can match english ships.

post-10002-0-64527500-1422695552_thumb.jpg

If it's guns you want the French Flagship at The Battle of The Nile, The Orient, was an Ocean class ship carrying 118 guns. She disintegrated when her powder magazine caught fire and exploded.

Many would say that the French designed and built better ships and indeed if a French ship was captured by The Royal Navy it would often be taken into the fleet.

Where the Royal Navy outclassed the French was in the quality and experience of its crews and officers. The French revolution decimated their naval officer class and their ships never got the sea time to give their crews the needed experiencee and training, This was in no small part thanks to the Royal Navy mounting a constant watch over the major French naval ports so that they could not put to see without attracting an immediate response.

I don't understand how in your terms "it is so damn epic". It was a relatively generic French third rate. The reason the ship made such a name for itself was due to her marksmen not necessarily due to the ship itself. Nevertheless it would be nice to see a French third rate implemented.

The temeraire class was one of the finest 74er ever built. Faster and more maneuverable than the british counterparts...thats what the brits said about these formidable french ships. And this class was the most numerous sail ship class ever built.

....and...it so much more beautifull than the old Bellona is.

this ship class is a must like the conny and Vic is.

French ships were built for speed and manoeuvrability as they were used in more mission based tactics (as shown by many decisions made when engaging the British or moving on to achieve initial objectives as landing troops et cetera) whereas the British ships were built for a slug fest in decisive actions. French ships were definitely built to a better degree although when copper bottoms came in the British ships actually ended up being faster as was shown when Nelson completely overtook the French on their way to Egypt. The ships ended up being very similar as French designs were incorporated into British ones. I look forward to a great diversity with warships within the game.

in France there are two types of 74-gun Sane. large 74-gun and small 74-gun.

Sané-Borda type (1782-1814)

the large 74-gun (French feet):

172'; 44 '1/2; 22 '

mean draft: 21 '

gun (original):

1 deck: 28-gun of 36pdr

2nd deck: 30-gun of 18pdr

fellows: 16-gun of 8pdr

Sané-Borda type (1803-1812)

the small 74-gun (French feet):

166 '1/2; 44 '; 21 '1/3

mean draft: 20 '