Game-Labs Forum

Ship Plans and Resources.

I've been asking on my old soc forums, maybe there will be more answers there.

New answers:

L' Hermione (frigate which transported La Fayette to America in 1780, re-launched in 2012)

L'Orient (launched in 1791, 118-gun Commerce de Marseille 1st rate, flagship during Napoleon's Campaign of Egypt, but was sunk by Nelson at Aboukir - also known because it was the name of the home port of the Compagnie des Indes Orientales)

Ville de Paris (launched in 1764, 104-gun 1st rate, De Grasse's flagship during the battle of Chesapeake Bay in 1781, sunk after the battle of Saintes in 1782)

But most agree with:

Soleil Royal (launched in 1669, 104-gun 1st rate, De Tourville's flagship during the War of the League of Augsburg, burned by a firebrand in 1692).

• Like 1

Sry for late reply. But well I thought I can save those files on my PC wich are shown on the webpage.

Ill skim the net for any further infos and well.. maybe I find some plans anywhere.

I suggested this ship as a super-lineship because it was often modified. It may add to gameplay elements such as choosing cannons and sizes etc..

From what Ive read most new 1st rates were inspired by the french "Océan-class ships of the line".

Until the late 19th century nations upgraded this sort of ships with steam engines to be competitive. (altho they were obsolete in about 1860/70+-)

Originally built as a 118 gun ship and finally upgraded with 136 guns.. thats a huge number imo.

Ill update this post when I get new info. Maybe I find cheaper plans and buy them myself..? dunno

edit: I found plans altho I dont know how -legal- they are O_o..

They look very detailed and very high-res..

Dont know if it is the right place but here is a page about regalskeppet Kronan (the Crown) there is a sideview plan on this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronan_%28ship%29

would love to see this or maybe Svärdet (the sword)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sv%C3%A4rdet

Acually any Swedishp ship of the line would do will look for plans :)

lovely stuff as allways wind. even if i'm not really that much into the high stern style of the dutch, the Friesland surly caught my attention 76guns all around including chasers and stern am i right? why are allways the big rates so lovely?

on some ships you could use the place for the painting for further coustomisation(spelling?) by interchangable coat of arms and/or the large painting on the stern.

with this we will achiev more diffrent looking ships with less work like i sugested a earlier with the example of interchanging sterns on the HMS Bellona but on these old dutch ships it sems to be much easier to achiev. for example on the ,,Friesland,, and the ,,Van de Velde,,

8262555899_b32df17295_n.jpg   vs  8235058711_ce333613bf_n.jpg

and we dont see the same looking ship all the time like in potbs ;)

by the way do you have any names on some sweet merchant ships or old galleons in the size of the potbs ,,Santiago,, or ,,San Mateo,, Wind? 

Edited by Mirones

An obvious choice is to see if there were any standard classes of ships that were made in substantial numbers. Better to go to the trouble to make a ship that has 20 sisters, than some unique hull. (RN Enterprise class (28 gun), or Amazon class (32 gun), or Apollo (36 gun), Cruizer class brig-sloop of 18 guns (they built 110 of these!), etc)

Ships taken prize are also good choices I guess, because they can rightfully exist in 2 navies, and they would be slightly different (when the RN took a French ship into the service they'd rerig her, strengthen her if needed for their own standard guns, etc.

Some sloops of war were brig-rigged, and some ship-rigged, right? Make a common sloop, and make a brig and ship version.

Same with a brig and brigantine. That's just a sail plan change, but you get 2 for the price of one. heck, dump the squaresail on the mainmast and make it all fore and aft, and you get a hermaphrodite brig. 1 hull, 3 sail plans. Adds some variety for little extra work. Add the trysail mast, and you get a snow. 4 for the price of 1 :)

For the french an obvious choice is a Pallas class frigate of 40 guns (1805). They built 45 of these (40 before Waterloo), it was the standard frigate of the First Empire.

<EDIT>they built 54, the excess number being built in the Netherlands and Italy (under occupation at the time).

LePallas.jpg[/url]

• Like 2

anyone got some nice planes fro eastindia mans lying around? currently researching the Edwin Fox and her current state just breaks my heart and makes me sobbing evry time i think about her.

Edwin%20Fox%20Made%20Of%20Teak%20In%20Ca

i dont want this game end up like potbs with only like 5-6 diffrent haulers with 50+ frigattes +SoL`s lying around 

• 1 month later...

Spanish ship Santa Ana (1784)

Santa Ana was a 112-gun three-decker ship of the line of the Spanish Navy, built to plans by Romero Landa. She was the prototype and lead ship of the Santa Ana class, also known as los Meregildos, which were built during the following years at Ferrol and Havana and which formed the backbone of the Spanish Navy - the other ships were the Mejicano, Conde de Regla, Salvador del Mundo, Real Carlos, San Hermenegildo, Reina María Luisa and Príncipe de Asturias. Her dimensions were 213.4 Burgos feet long, 58 feet in the beam and a total tonnage of 2,112 tonnes.

She was launched on 28 September 1784 at the Reales Astilleros de Esteiro. She was tested at sea on 28 February 1785 under the captaincy of Félix de Tejada, who reported the test to his commanding officer that the ship "kept the battery in good use [even] in a fresh wind and heavy seas". The success of the trials led to a royal order that subsequent three-deckers would be built to the same plans.
From 1803 to 1804 she was captained by Dionisio Alcalá Galiano. At Trafalgar she was the flagship of Alava and captained by José de Gardoqui - she suffered 97 killed and 141 wounded, with Alava himself seriously wounded, and was captured by the British. However, two days later, a squadron under the command of Commodore Cosmao-Kerjulien succeeded in recapturing her and getting her back to Cadiz.
At the start of the Peninsular War in 1808 she was undergoing repairs at the Arsenal and so could not participate in the capture of the French squadron under Admiral Rosily. She and Príncipe de Asturias moved to Havana in 1810 to avoid capture by the French and sank in its Arsenal in 1816. In 1834 she could still be seen next to the Príncipe de Asturias (which had also sunk) in the mud in front of the Arsenal.

Class & type:     Santa Ana-class ship of the line
Tonnage:           2,112 tonnes
Length:             213.4 Burgos feet
Beam:               58 Burgos feet
Sail plan:           Full rigged ship
Complement:    1,102 (at Trafalgar)

On launch:
    30 × 36-pounder cannon
    32 × 24-pounder cannon
    18 × 8-pounder cannon
    At Trafalgar:
    30 × 36-cannon
    32 × 24-pounder cannon
    32 × 12-pounder cannon
    10 × 8-pounder cannon
    10 × 48-pounder obúses (howitzers)
    2 × 32-pounder obúses
    6 × 24-pounder obúses
    4 × 4-pounder pedreros (swivel guns)

Armour:     None

Nav%C3%ADo_santa_ana_de_112_ca%C3%B1ones

Plano_navio_112_ca%C3%B1ones.jpg

• Like 3

As merchant ship, i also propose the famous Dutch cargo fluyt :  Mayflower

mayflower-1.jpg

Considering the history of that particular ship, if developers decide to add elements of transportation/exploration,

this ship can have +stats and advantages for those tasks.

Also, the Mayflower was a pinnace or small galleon -- not a fluyt :) Fluyts had a round stern, high length-to-beam ratio, and narrow deck on top of a broad hull. The last two characteristics were to reduce taxes (particularly the Sound tax levied by Denmark on ships passing through the Øresund) and created a surprisingly fast cargo ship.

• Like 1

Though I completely agree the Mayflower is a beautiful ship, it falls outside of the years set by the Developers for ships that could be added into the game. I believe the dates are 1750-1850 though I will have to find the post again to confirm.

The game's dates are set to end at 1820:

We definitely stop at 1820 mark yes. +-5 years.

Initial model line up range from 1680 till 1820.

~Brigand

1sxd6w.jpg

@ Marion Van Ghent : (Yellow Arrow) Taken from Wikipedia, so i don't really know. You might be right. They decribe it as fluyt.

@ Brigand: (Blue Arrow) Is earlier than 1680 so i guess is out. Pitty, but have to respect the dev's rules.

Also, the Mayflower was a pinnace or small galleon -- not a fluyt :) Fluyts had a round stern, high length-to-beam ratio, and narrow deck on top of a broad hull. The last two characteristics were to reduce taxes (particularly the Sound tax levied by Denmark on ships passing through the Øresund) and created a surprisingly fast cargo ship.

@ Marion Van Ghent : (Yellow Arrow) Taken from Wikipedia, so i don't really know. You might be right. They decribe it as fluyt.

Wikipedia is wrong in this instance. Although I cannot quickly find an online source that says so, @Marion van Ghent is correct: the Mayflower is a galleon (not a pinnace, as they where known for their elobarate transoms and balconies).

The Dutch fluyt has a very typical hull shape: it is has a very round bow and stern (no transom) with high sides curving inward towards a very small deck. A fluyt was ship rigged and could be sailed with a small crew, was very stable and could carry an exceptionally large cargo (due to the round shape).

Edit: I found a source (in Dutch) confirming it as a galleon.

Cheers,

Brigand

Edited by Brigand
  • Like 2

My apologies for the number of links. 

Enjoy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some Swedish ships that could be for the Swedish nation.

Kronan

launched: 1668

Class: warship (first rate?)

Guns: 100+ guns 6 to 36 pounders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronan_(ship)

Götheborg

Launched: 1738

Class: eastindiaman

Guns: 30 guns 6 and 3 pounders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6theborg_(ship)

here are a list of some swedish shipsfrom the late 16th

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regalskepp