Game-Labs Forum

Player-selected ships 2015 - Final poll

Barberouge

Final poll  

856 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite ship

• Rattlesnake (1780, American 20-gun corvette)
    • Amazon-class (1773, British 32-gun frigate)
    • Hermione (1779, French 32-gun frigate)
    • Amsterdam (1748, Dutch 42-gun Indiaman)
    • USS Bonhomme Richard (1765, American 42-gun Indiaman)
    • HMS Indefatigable (1784, British 44-gun razeed frigate)
    • USS Independence (1814, American 54-gun razeed ship)
    • Wasa (1778, Swedish 60-gun ship)
    • HMS Agamemnon (1781, British 64-gun ship)
    • Téméraire-class (1784, French 74-gun ship)
    • Christian VII (1767, Dano-Norwegian 90-gun ship)
    • Océan-class (1788, French 118-gun ship)

As much as I'd hate to do it, I'll have to switch my vote from Temeraire to the Christian VII as we do not have a 2nd rate.

There's one planned for the near future. Vote what you want, not what you think the game needs. For the devs already know what the game needs anyway ;).

• Like 2

I'm sure the Temeraire class will be ingame one day, was one of the better 74s around. I'm still thinking they are going to choose the Christian Vii as wildcard because they've already told us they want to make a 2nd rate. But they may choose to make the 2nd rate AND another ship as the wild card. Who knows...

USS Bonhomme Richard

I would rather have a different ship. However, exploration and merchant trading is supposed to be a part of this game yes? So far, I do not really see a merchant ship that can actually help out in a fight and still carry a lot of cargo. Maybie I am wrong, I haven't actually played the game yet (just bought it last night), but so far I do not see any ships that are decent cargo carriers that were actually used as such. Weren't most pirate vessels converted merchantman ships? Weren't most navy ships also converted merchantman ships? I know we all want to play the big dog navy ships of history, but most ships that people encountered were of the USS Bonhomme Richard, type yes?

Don't we need more merchantman ships right now?

• Like 1

Yeah I really do hope the USS Bonhomme Richard will get it's way in-game somehow, even if not through this poll. I mean the paintjob looks so awesome, and the history behind it! It was it's been through lots of places, oceans. 

It will, eventually. I suspect the devs are takeing all the ships from this pole, and the previous 2014 poll, and putting them ingame, as they are all ships people wish to see. This is just fast-tracking specific ships.

The spanish have the bloody trinidad, the dutch only the tiny yacht, seems fair to me :). but indeed the portugues need more as well.

But do the Danes or any of the North European countries have anything? I'm pretty sure they don't. So using that same logic we should all vote for either the Wasa or Christian VII :P

The problem with the Amsterdam is that they changed her to suit the needs of modern museum visitors: the height between the decks has been increased, there are two 'doors' in her side for ease of access, she has a modern staircase going from through the main hatch (which had to be significantly widened to make the staircase fit), etc, etc.

So, calling Amsterdam a 'replica' is quite a statement, she is more a historically inspired modern museum attraction. At least, she is self-floating, unlike some other 'replica ships' which are build on barges.

Having said all that, I would still like to see the East Indiaman Amsterdam (1748) to be included in the game, provided they use the original plans instead of the distorted 'modern' ones.

~Brigand

There are two of them ive been one it well both of them and i can tell i am 1.86 and i have to go treu the ship the whole time head and shoulders down. the ship has been sailing far there is one inside lelystad as well.there are two replicas one is reall the other is concrete under it.i think that is the one in Amsterdam.there is by the way an provincie yacht build as well i have been at it to it has been build at lelystad two during my time at school for shipbuilder. we went there it is an reall imprsive yard they steam the wood and everything if youre intrested you defently wanna visit the yard in lelystad where the seven provincien is geting build. i did the Amsterdam off course :-P

I wish people would stop voting for nationality of a ship, rather than the ship and shipclass itself...what good is the umpteenth 1st rate just because it's Dutch, British, Spanish, Portuguese, US or Micronesian, when the whole rest is a big gap? Fairly sure the final shiplist of this title will have almost every nation that ever took to the seas in those ages, repesented properly.

• Like 6

I wish people would stop voting for nationality of a ship, rather than the ship and shipclass itself...what good is the umpteenth 1st rate just because it's Dutch, British, Spanish, Portuguese, US or Micronesian, when the whole rest is a big gap? Fairly sure the final shiplist of this title will have almost every nation that ever took to the seas in those ages, repesented properly.

My sentiments exactly. A first rate will play like a first rate, regardless of nationality. We have two. I could understand a second rate, but still.

There are two of them ive been one it well both of them and i can tell i am 1.86 and i have to go treu the ship the whole time head and shoulders down. the ship has been sailing far there is one inside lelystad as well.there are two replicas one is reall the other is concrete under it.i think that is the one in Amsterdam.there is by the way an provincie yacht build as well i have been at it to it has been build at lelystad two during my time at school for shipbuilder. we went there it is an reall imprsive yard they steam the wood and everything if youre intrested you defently wanna visit the yard in lelystad where the seven provincien is geting build. i did the Amsterdam off course :-P

No, there is just one Amsterdam, it is docken next to the Nautical Museum and it is not historically accurate at all.

The one in Lelystad is a different ship, she is called Batavia and she is a real replica. The Batavia was build near Lelystad at the Bataviawerf (Batavia shipyard) where they are currently building the Zeven Provinciën, which is indeed quite impressive. Then there is alos the Statenjacht Utrecht, for which I cannot comment on its authenticity (but she looks quite allright).

Cheers,

Brigand

The one that gets the blood going... Indefat, definitely. Think about Pellew's unbelievable exploits and it's a no brainer. How can a merchantmen excite people?!  ;)

Agamemnon is another really interesting choice, as it is at the bottom of capabilities for the rating but had an amazing career.

The most historically important though has to be Temeraire, especially the Duqesne flavours...

But of course, I'd love to see them all.

EDIT: I'd really like to see things like Portland class 4th rate and most especially, ship rigged sloops like Cormorant or Merlin class, but I'm just getting greedy now.  The 'tech tree' for this game is amazing if honoured!

Please select the Independence! It is a powerful razee which would be very maneuverable but with the hull integrity of a second rate. The broadside weight would be insane for a frigate. Historically this ship was very succees

The problem with a razee'd ship is that they were never quite 'right'.  Cut down from their original design, they ended up as "neither fish nor flesh, nor good red herring".  Stick with something that was what it was intended to be.  The Agamemnon being a case in point. 

Yeah, i thought about it and thought "changing vote" as i did vote Indie, but i dont think it would be a significant difference from current ships.

Sadly, what i want to win this, the amazon simply has no chance, it would in my view make a nice ship to place between the Snow(or the up coming iirc 28 gun light ship) and the surprise gunwise would it not? Especially as it was armed with 12 pounders giving it a pretty heavy hit if memory serves.