Game-Labs Forum

'La Couronne' 72 guns (With Plans)

Caball

La%20Couronne%2010.jpgLa%20Couronne%2011.jpg

La Couronne

Ships History :

La Couronne was an emblematic flagship of the French Navy built in 1636 by Cardinal de Richelieu. She was built in accordance to Richelieu's plans to renew the French Navy, after a series of ships built by the Dutch.

The contraction was overseen by the famous carpenter Charles Morieur, from Dieppe.

She was one of the most advanced vessels of her time. She was equipped with 68 heavy guns, 8 firing to the bow and 8 to the aft, an unusual feature until Dupuy de Lôme redesigned naval artillery.

The Couronne took part in the siege of Hondarribia in 1638, and another expedition to Spain in 1639 under Henri de Sourdis.

http://www.smcars.net/threads/la-couronne-detail-1636.18696/

http://www.radekshipmodels.cz/cz/plany-lodi/la-couronne-plan

http://www.sailboatmodel.info/la_couronne_1636/index.php?langue=en

Plans:

GafYHwV.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good old spider-eyes! I loved sailing this ship in PotBS. It was the ship I sailed when taking part in port battles.

That thing had some serious staying power. Was a bit silly sailing though, doing pirouettes when firing each of the four broadsides in turn ;)

While I love her looks, it doesn't seem like she would fit in the game as sailing ship, maybe as hulk or wreck though.

Question on older ships and their preservation:

In modern days, it's not unusual for older ships to be preserved as museum, memorial or such.

Was that a practice in the sailing age? I guess my question really is, did outdated ships back then get preserved in any way or were they always broken down? 

Was that a practice in the sailing age? I guess my question really is, did outdated ships back then get preserved in any way or were they always broken down?

They weren't always broken up, but neither were they preserved. There would always be hulks rotting in harbors. One of the British SoLs at Trafalgar was still afloat during WWII. But more of a floating corpse than a ship.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am a big fan of many of the late 1600s designed ships, many of which look very modern and not too dissimilar to ships designed in the early to mid 1700s, this ship, while beautiful would look freakish in a battle line next to a Connie or other modern ship.   1630s is just too old in a game where many if not most designs will be 150-200 years newer.

• 3 months later...

Awesome !!! Beautiful ! I'd love to see such ships in NA. 

It shouldn't be a problem with a Battle Rate system (that could take into account the date of construction of ships), if there were some other 1600s ships.

Edited by LeBoiteux

• 1 year later...

hello....there used to be a photo of a beautiful model of la couronne here if i remember correctly......what happened, and where can i find it.....thanks......vic

Hosting site deleted uploaded images. Always choose the good one. 

la-couronne-15.jpg