Game-Labs Forum

Major Danish Warships Built at the Holmen Shipyard 1692-1744 - article

thomas aagaard

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like an interesting option for the player dock visualization in game. 

It looks like, and is quite likely that these pictures are from the Danish Naval History museum. I don't live that far away from it, and museum entry is free in Denmark, so If you guys want more shots of these docks, and whatever else like It they have, I'd be happy to head over there and snap some reference pictures.

It looks like, and is quite likely that these pictures are from the Danish Naval History museum. I don't live that far away from it, and museum entry is free in Denmark, so If you guys want more shots of these docks, and whatever else like It they have, I'd be happy to head over there and snap some reference pictures.

yeah if they are in a generous moot they might give you a top down digital copy of the map.

this is a picture of how holmen looked from a top down point of view back in 1801/1807 recreated of course, and Reden is located just north of that

npR72rB.png

• 2 months later...

I am a bit nosy if we 'must' sail and navigate into such piers. Would be also interesting to see anchored ships.

Actually, you never really sail into such places.

You "warp" there.

What, warp drive?  Like Star Trek?

No, the term refers to warping into and out of port by using your ship's rowboats and rows of heavy duty buoys or pylons.  You use your rowboats and take a heavy rope, probably your anchor cable (without the anchor) and attach it to a ring or post on the pylon in the river or bay entrance.  You then use your ship's capstan or winch to pull you over to it, and repeat the process to get to the next buoy or pylon over and over again until you are out to the end of the line of pylons/buoys, set sail and head off into the open sea.

If they don't have a set of buoys or pylons, then you use your ship's anchors to get into and out of tight harbors.

Also, using the tides and wind in your favor helps.