Game-Labs Forum

Portside Business?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Would You like to see any port side activities that would add to your sea side adventure?

• Yes i wouldn't mind running a couple of business in different ports.
    • No the sea life is for me! You silly land lubber.
    • I would like to have as minimal port-side interactions as possible.

why didnt you start a simple discussion thread?

I think a poll packs all the information/ design possibilities we need.

And the poll itself is not saying a lot. you should rethink the questions.

You quite literally say:

Yes: I like to do some econ and stuff,

No: I dont care about landlubbing. I want to sail only.

• Like 5

Come on now gents, I think we can see the topic of discussion. Nothing is progressed by pissy, if pithy, comments to newcomers to our small community :P

Ultimately, I'd love to see NA as a competitor to Star Citizen etc. The devs have drawn links with EVEs economic model. These are huge games, and to be attracting those kind of player numbers a robust and comprehensive shoreside economy is a must. Eventually though - first things first...

Baggy

• Like 3

Anyway the best rum in the Caribbean, IMHO of course, is Cruzan Gold 120 proof which is from St Croix. Mix with some Ginger Beer (NOT Ginger Ale) and a little Lime Juice for a "Dark and Stormy".

Sadly I am virtually teetotal these days, Liver not quite as good as it once was.

Anyway the best rum in the Caribbean, IMHO of course, is Cruzan Gold 120 proof which is from St Croix. Mix with some Ginger Beer (NOT Ginger Ale) and a little Lime Juice for a "Dark and Stormy".

Sadly I am virtually teetotal these days, Liver not quite as good as it once was.

Please note everyone, that Capt Vernon is not role-playing as regards this matter.  These are bound to be the words of a man who has experienced the very thing he is talking about.

A crying shame to mix a decent rum with anything other than, just maybe, a slice of lime. But I've yet to find a sailor who'll turn down a dark and stormy...or a G&T for that matter...must be because they're bloody good. At last we got on to true portside business :)

Baggy

Ps. Watch out for Fevertree tonic. Heard good things about it, but it's sweetness totally spoiled my gin, and therefore evening. You have been warned.

• Like 1

Anyway, every officer in His Majesty's navy knows that rum is for the ordinary seamen, gin is the real drink of the navy.  (Well that's a bit later than the Age of Sail.)

It would generally have to be pink gin of course....and whilst Gordon's is the norm, Hendricks would be a good deal better or Plymouth Gin.....  Horse's Neck was also a commonly ordered drink, but rather more contemporary I suspect. And of course, let us not forget a decent glass of Port, post-dinner with the Cheese. (Anyone suggesting pouring the port into a Stilton cheese WILL be taken out and shot as a scurvy heathen... :P) For the port I would suggest a Croft '63 if you can a. find any and b. afford it. I was once the proud owner of 2 bottles, now long since imbibed very appreciatively at a special occasion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i like the uncharted waters model to but have a market hall with stalls instead of people on mats every were tea shop/taven were you can get ship insurance and hire new crew from. i like to be able to walk over and barter for my goods check out the market advert boards to for work/job offers for other people

smaller towns have an open air market

bigger towns have both open air and indoor market hall

pirate towns have black market goods/back alleys  sell cheeper no crown tax or fees just a dangerous location

hire a stall for 24 hours fill it with goods and leave or stay there and push your products barter

and the plantations, own towns were a good idea i would like to see player made ports/town a reason for companies/guilds to fight for water trade routes,gold mines,ore mine,tea,tobacco,spices,silks etc....etc

that way companies will patrol water that there trade ships use and the enemy uses pirates will the chance to hunt traders on these high risk high reward runs or even pick of a few battle ships here and there

I absolutely love the idea of owning or managing a company or a storefront. Let me explain,

-Player Built Buildings and Structures: This one is important to me. Having a guild or a player build physical structures that is a business and other players can interact with is very important for breathing life into the ports. To regulate this there can be limited number of building zones in a village before it grows into a bustling port, in which it will unlock more building zones. If players fail to log in within X amount of time the shop closes, fail to log in X amount of time the structure is demolished and the building zone is available for purchase again. 

I think this is a fun way to sort of claim ownership to a zoned portion of land in a port, not just a screen that pops up saying "this is your business." Interactive interface with a business is important, a physical shop where you have a guy stitching sails or hammering out a ship fitting would be ideal. A store front with your guilds flag or fancy vanity items such as lanterns and fresh paint because business has been good would cool.

Great idea.

-Cannonball

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

i like the uncharted waters model to but have a market hall with stalls instead of people on mats every were tea shop/taven were you can get ship insurance and hire new crew from. i like to be able to walk over and barter for my goods check out the market advert boards to for work/job offers for other people

smaller towns have an open air market

bigger towns have both open air and indoor market hall

pirate towns have black market goods/back alleys  sell cheeper no crown tax or fees just a dangerous location

hire a stall for 24 hours fill it with goods and leave or stay there and push your products barter

and the plantations, own towns were a good idea i would like to see player made ports/town a reason for companies/guilds to fight for water trade routes,gold mines,ore mine,tea,tobacco,spices,silks etc....etc

that way companies will patrol water that there trade ships use and the enemy uses pirates will the chance to hunt traders on these high risk high reward runs or even pick of a few battle ships here and there

In my opinion, pirate towns should buy cheap and sell high.  If you come in with a big cargo to sell, they're not going to be able to sell most of that locally, it'll have to be fenced or otherwise given proper stamps and false papers to be taken and sold in a "legitimate" port elsewhere (what are the locals going to do with a few tons of cotton, or whatnot???).  So you should get rock bottom dollar when you sell, and have to pay extra for the same problems for goods that you purchase.  Piracy and freeports, while they don't involve Crown Taxes, do involve paying off the local warlords and fences, as well as covering "protection" money, etc. to keep the local legitimate governments off of your back.  It's not like everyone in the area won't know what and where a pirate port is - the key is in nobody legitimate in the area deciding to get a few SOLs and wiping it off of the map.  To do that takes tons of bribes and other gratuities to keep the authorities looking the wrong direction.

This reduction in income and higher price structure will keep piracy a less attractive option, which it should be.

I would love to have some land business on the side, but it should be something that is not required for anyone to fully enjoy the naval aspect of the game.

The economy in PotBS was fun but in a way felt too naval oriented... like there was no life whatsoever past the few coastal ports.

If there is an economy, naval elements should be taken into account as part of the market but not as the main industry.

To inter-weave something into the larger game of naval warfare will be tricky though... not a lot of games pull of a mix like that. (Avatar play in PotBS was somewhat interesting at first but grew old fast)

I always think of Sword of the Samurai as form of multi-genre game... or whatever correct label it might have. (showing my age with that game...)