Game-Labs Forum

PvP Rewards - feedback needed

PvP rewards needs change again. Sinking a lot of players is unprofitable again after crew introduction. 

This problem is alleviated by ability to surrender any time.

The changes will be done in 2 steps

Step 1 - next patch and hot-fixes

1) Changes to surrender inlcuding no money and xp if you surrendered + changes to when the surrender option is available

2) Increase PVP Kill/Boarding/Sinking rewards

3) Additional perks allowing lower crew costs and crew recovery in and after battle and allowing better xp and money revenue for pvp kills (esp honor kills)

4) Moving repair and medical kits to upgrades to improve quality of life in case of unfortunate accidents.

Step 2 - August-Sept Port battle patch

1)Renown/Admiralty points store (a-la marks of victory) 

2)Hostility attack/defend quests

3)Better/Unique pvp drops/loot

We have a question about surrenders

What to your opinion is a better implementation...

1. Block surrender ability if you are sinking or on fire?
  2. Block surrender ability if you have not surrendered during first 5 mins of the battle?
  3. Do not block surrender ability - BUT recover ship HP to the level it stops sinking giving the victor the surrendered prize in all cases?

Propose ideas for improving the pvp rewards or link posts if you have done this before.

• Like 10

3. Do not block surrender ability - BUT recover ship HP to the level it stops sinking giving the victor the surrendered prize in all cases

+ explosion cause of fire isnt possible and recapture by former friendly isnt possible as long battle isnt over.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

re surrender : 2. first 5mins only

Also do yourselves and make permanents die when things sink/surrender.

Make non permanents not loseable ever and get rid of duros.....this way people dont want to lose their ship more desperately.

duros are for newbies and modusers....grey ships are far too over used and you need to make the economy work better which means ship turnover.

Edited by Fastidius

duros are for newbies and modusers....grey ships are far too over used and you need to make the economy work better which means ship turnover.

We wanted  to test 1 dura option since Feb

but we know it could cause a huge review fallout so it should be done paired with something awesome.

• Like 4

I think you should go with option #1 for surrender.

It forces you to make a decision as to whether or not you should surrender your ship to the enemy.

As long as this is done i don't think PvP rewards need to change! :)

The only reason why pvp isn't profitable at the moment is because you are usually (even in 1v1's) denied the "prize" (Ship) AND the "kill". 

I think a better way to make PvP more appealing would be to increase drop chance for modules. 

- But ofcourse not increase it too much! :) 

• Like 2

but we know it could cause a huge review fallout so it should be done paired with something awesome.

Its like pre EA before crafting hits. There we had to spend most of the time sailing port to port to find the right ship with good inbuilds. With only one dura for all ships we will spend the most time buying or crafting new ships. pvp will be not exsisting or only hugh gank squads sail around.

• Like 3

2. Block surrender ability if you have not surrendered during first 5 mins of the battle?

1 AND 2

Block Surrender: I prefer to let the attacker decide to accept the surrender. That means:

A player is sinking, on fire or the 5 minutes are passed, then the attacker should get a dialog to decide, if he accept the surrender.

In my opinion, the player who has done most  damage to the enemy should get those a dialog.

just my 2 cents

• Like 2

like making temp upgrades not loseable ever...

leave 7ths and traderswith duros just military and 4ths 1 duro

any of thise 3 for the surrender part

1. Let surrender be there but if someone chose surrender they lose 10% of ther cash for ransom that is spiting up to players on opposite side.

2. or let surrender lose 3000xp on the officer and no xp or gold for the battle.

3. Surrender a ship means losing it in total so if it had 5 dura it is gone.

as for boarding a ship even if you cant keep it you get the upgrades on them. sinking a ship don't give anything more then xp and cash.

Surrendering at the end, and then stop the ship from sinking, and save your men.  Unrealistic as it is, but I think that would give the best playability.

It is not nice that the guys just surrender.  I want to see that even tho that the odds are grim, they may take the odds.  Test if they actually could do it.

If penalized too much -> We wont get good PvP.

Game should be more than attacking with a gank squad and then the other person just surrenders.

Why not try it with outlaws if that is still under consideration, don't have to force it on everyone to have an effect on ratings but then again it means you have to make outlaws awesome.

PvP rewards needs change again. Sinking a lot of players is unprofitable again after crew introduction. 

1) Changes to surrender inlcuding no money and xp if you surrendered + changes to when the surrender option is available

So essentially, go fishing. As PvP won't net you anything anymore unless you gank.

We want captains to fight! So if they come, regardless of the outcome of the battle, they must be rewarded.

Increase skill based rewards and good gameplay. http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15149-i-ganked-the-british-and-all-i-got-was-this-lousy-t-shirt/

3) Additional perks allowing lower crew costs and crew recovery in and after battle and allowing better xp and money revenue for pvp kills (esp honor kills)

We haven't even gone all the way with crew recovery. I think the Basic Cutter exploit needs to be fixed up first.

Then we can (almost) properly gauge the Medkit stuff. (It is still crippled by the market mechanics though. http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15098-economics-patch-proposal/ )

4) Moving repair and medical kits to upgrades to improve quality of life in case of unfortunate accidents.

I don't understand. What does this mean?

• Block surrender ability if you are sinking or on fire?
  • Block surrender ability if you have not surrendered during first 5 mins of the battle?
  • Do not block surrender ability - BUT recover ship HP to the level it stops sinking giving the victor the surrendered prize in all cases?
Propose ideas for improving the pvp rewards or link posts if you have done this before.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/12557-surrendering-in-pvp-to-refuse-kill/?p=282898

I want to look at what makes players make the decision to surrender. The only reason I see is ultimately the officer lives.

Hence I said in that post, hand 1000 or 2000 officer XP to the captain who loses his officer.

That means the fastest way to level your officer is getting him killed.

The fastest way of losing a high ranking officer is getting him killed.

Ergo, perfect balance.

• Like 1

Surrender should be possible everytime. If you can't surrender while you are taking water or are on fire I will go with an idea which Jeheil had I think. You get the option to abandon the ship. In this case the ship is immediately out of battle and a kill plus the gold/xp is rewarded to the one who did the most dmg like it is now. With abandoning the ship you have the possibility to save a part of your crew. Let's say that 40% of your crew is saved everytime. If your ship is still afloat after 2 min, you will save 70% of your crew. The numbers and times are debatable of course. 

EDIT: the idea behind that is that it should be obvious if you are losing a battle and therefor should surrender way before you will take on water or you decide to fight to the bitter end. Leaks are often manageable and it is possible to get back to a "dry" ship. In case of catastrophic leaks, well you are fucked.

The surrender itself should grant surrender xp/gold to the player who forced. Like now the one who did the most crew/hull damage.

At the battle end screen the player will also get an automatic ransom from the defeated player to get his crew back. The amount of gold is based on the remaining crew and the level of his officer. The price should be a lot lower than crew hire cost but still a good reward for the victorious player. Otherwise this wouldn't make sense :D

The xp reward for the defeated wouldn't be lowered because he still made the experience right? The moderate gold loss is enough.

And in general I would say that the gold/xp for damage done in battle could be a little bit higher nad maybe even based on BR difference --> incentive to fight uneven battles.

Edited by Cecil Selous

like making temp upgrades not loseable ever...

leave 7ths and traderswith duros just military and 4ths 1 duro

Maybe we should move this to a different topic?

Duras and cheap grey ships have spoiled us.

Maybe we could start with putting a 20 dura on non-permanent upgrades?

With each ship loss (regardless of ship dura) the non-permanent upgrade duras go down by one as well.

• Like 1

Do not block surrender ability - BUT recover ship HP to the level it stops sinking giving the victor the surrendered prize in all cases

to little cost doing it. attacker loses more then defender he need to pay more. xp and/or gold from his account

3. Do not block surrender ability - BUT recover ship HP to the level it stops sinking giving the victor the surrendered prize in all cases?

Personally i would like to see 2 surrender options in the battle, the first being: In the first 5 mins of the battle in which the fleeing player could surrender offering free access to his cargo hold and/or paying a small ransom based on the ship he is sailing in, in the process keeping the ship, crew and officer safe. (More or less a realistic. And the second being as it is now, with not being to surrender while taking in water after tour armor has been striped or when on fire. You have plenty of time to make up your ind whether to surrender or not by the time someone eradicates your armor, you pop a repair and it gets blown of again. If you risked and fought till the very end, good for you, but you must also accept the risk it brings.

Well i strongly support 1 duras(actually capturing a ship in pvp, not just 1/5 of a ship, throwaway ship term going away from the dictionary, mods that i need to get more than once in a live time on any ship besides a 1st rate), it should be done with a crafting overhaul, not at the given moment. With a correct tweak you could make small ships being craft-able easily on demand, making life for new players (contrary to the belief of the opposition of this idea) even easier than it is now, having to buy and pay just for one ship instead of 5 copies of it.   

Step 1

1) Wait wwwhhaat? No rewards at all if you surrender? I battle for an hour and a half with 3 kills, 2 captured ships and one sunk, then because it was against a gank squad of 5 vs only myself, you are saying I won't get any rewards? I won't get gold, no xp, and no ships or loot after??? This is not fair nor right. I certainly can see that all loot, including ships, would not be kept, but I should deserve the xp and gold from my country for my efforts. 

4) medkits and repairkits are physical objects that should be lootable. In fact, absolutely anything that has a physical nature, even upgrades, should be lootable.

Question answers

1. Yes, but after a certain amount of time. Like say no surrender after 40% water intake or fire damage. This gives time for the ship to be abandoned and captured.

2. This makes no sense. I should be able to surrender at any time during the battle.

3. no

Choice options 1

1) Changes to surrender inlcuding no money and xp if you surrendered

You propose punishing people for engaging in PvP in a PvP rewards thread. I am confused. Why would this even be considered? All that needs to be fixed is surrending while sinking / burning. It is neither in the spirit of the age or of better gameplay (encouraging people to fight by knowing they have options to mitigate their loss) to place additional punishments on players on top of current loss for surrendering.

Surrender should be a viable option that lets one party exit with mitigated losses, but without at the same time denying the victor gain. Having surrender as an option for people who chose to fight has improved battles significantly, leading to both quicker / more natural battle resolutions and much less trollish I lose / you lose behavior. The only problem is allowing players to surrender and minimize loss while at the same time denying the victor gain. There is no other issue.

• Like 8

I would love to see a mechanism where my surrender is handled by the opponent. When I surrender the opponent gets a small reward in XP, crew and money and I get a small penalty in money, but preserve most of my crew.

You could make it so the surrender is offered to the captain that dit the most damage to you or is the closest you and put a small timer ot accept or even better have an option in the settings to autoaccept surrenders, like I would do.

Furthermore I'd like to see PvP rewards be less built on Portbattles. 

• Like 2