Game-Labs Forum

Request for Stricter Moderation

There was a time when National News was a fun place for propaganda and current events for the worlds ingame. Sadly it degenerated into toxic flame wars that forced the staff to shut it down and restrict access to those few who could post reliably without stirring up trouble. Unfortunately instead of extirminating the virus that was the toxic forum behavior, it only spread over to the Guilds, Clans, and Trading Companies forum ( http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/forum/39-guilds-clans-and-trading-companies/). The initial rumblings may have already been there. Things really took a turn with the initial SORRY thread being shut down. A new thread immediately popped up, and I'm sure some of us hoped it would stay quiet and others feared and/or knew it wouldn't. And it didn't. I am calling attention now to this thread and how it has degenerated to another flame war. Shutting down the national news forum was essential, and I feel as a member of the community that the Guilds, Clans, and Trading Companies forum requires the same heavy moderation that national news now gets. The initial purpose of the thread there has devolved to little more than children throwing food at lunch, and zero moderation in sight.

In short, I am petitioning the forum staff to close the forum to original thread starters who can be trusted to moderate their threads. Any future guilds that wish to post recruitment threads can contact a moderator to be allowed to access the forum, any player looking for a guild can review these threads and find what they're looking for without having to post and deal with the incessant bickering that is, in my opinion, dropping everyone's IQ and maturity levels farther than they need to go (maybe including my own).

Any further suggestions (legitimate please!) are welcome but if this thread becomes another sniping war, I will ask a staff member to close it.

Thanks

• Like 6

I personally don't give a damn about politics and who is right and who is wrong. I have had my own problems with the TF organization but there ain't jack I can do about it. I told Thomas and Sam both what was wrong with TF and predicted what would happen if things continued, which is where they are now, but that's neither here nor there. This is also not a post singling out SORRY. Unfortunately for them, their thread is the prime example of why we can't do things nicely. There are others to blame besides them, they just happen to be the centerpiece.

But that's not why I posted this, and if you do not have anything solid to contribute to this thread I will ask again, do not bother posting, I will ask a moderator to remove any further posts by you.

There will always be people that take the game for more than it is... A game after all.

If these people are allowed to spread their virus throughout a gaming community, noting positive will arise from it. NN was a source of this and it was shut down for good reason. If mods and developers still think it was a good decision to shut it down, they should stop what is going on in the clans section of the forum. If they are fine with it, might as well reopen NN.

I personally don't give a damn about politics and who is right and who is wrong. I have had my own problems with the TF organization but there ain't jack I can do about it. I told Thomas and Sam both what was wrong with TF and predicted what would happen if things continued, which is where they are now, but that's neither here nor there. This is also not a post singling out SORRY. Unfortunately for them, their thread is the prime example of why we can't do things nicely. There are others to blame besides them, they just happen to be the centerpiece.

But that's not why I posted this, and if you do not have anything solid to contribute to this thread I will ask again, do not bother posting, I will ask a moderator to remove any further posts by you.

no reason for you to enter a clan recruitment thread as a non-clan member to post anything other than a request for membership, information, support, or guidance.  anyone one that posts in a clan recruitment thread that is not a clan member that fits the previous criteria needs to have their post deleted.  mods that do not delete PvP comments by none clan members in a clan recruitment thread are biased and not doing their duty.  That is my contribution to your obvious request for "nerfing" clan threads. 

• Like 2

no reason for you to enter a clan recruitment thread as a non-clan member to post anything other than a request for membership, information, support, or guidance.  anyone one that posts in a clan recruitment thread that is not a clan member that fits the previous criteria needs to have their post deleted.  mods that do not delete PvP comments by none clan members in a clan recruitment thread are biased and not doing their duty.  That is my contribution to your obvious request for "nerfing" clan threads. 

Ya this guy's gimmick is to muck up other people's threads then ask for them to be closed or something, or post inflammatory stuff to provoke others into responding in kind, then reporting them. 

There's a word for it but I can't remember what it is. 

• Like 3

My bold emphasis above.

I would agree with your (the bolded) comments above.

I would also how like to add that derogatory comments made by clan members in their clan recruitment thread about other clans or leaders of other clans should also be considered out of place.  If it is a SORRY recruitment thread then why is there a need to specifically refer to TDA/TF, or to their leadership?  Such comments have nothing to do with 'membership requests, or information, support or guidance' related to their clan.

Edited by Chijohnaok
  • Like 2

Not if you're using your "clan recruitment" thread as a national news alternative to brag about every single victory.

And nice job liking your own post.

The community of this game has become remarkably toxic with the launch of early access on steam. A lot of players joined who aren't in it for the fun itself, but for the fun of defeating other players - and getting the most out of it by gloating in their face as much as possible.

I just watched the Aves PB on twitch, and when the battle was decided for France after Sweden had lost two victories and a Santisima, the channel suddenly filled with pirates, French and Danish players who gloated and insulted the streamer and Sweden for the last 30 minutes non-stop.

I mean hate the Brits all you want, but Sweden? Those guys never did anyone any "harm". Such a completely unprovoked troll raid. I don't recall anyone ever raiding Babay's stream when DKN lost a PB on stream.

And it's the same in global, the same in battle chat. Constant trash talking, during sailing, during reloads, during turns.

Why would the forums be any different?

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 4

You are asking for them to moderate clans trying to recruit because it's toxic. If you already have a clan, Haratik, which you do, because I see your in TF, then there is not a reason for you to even be in someone else's clan recruitment section, especially a different nations recruitment page. The best way to solve this is to allow the page creator to be allowed to choose people who can post on the page.

He clearly mention other sub forum such as trading and others needs to be moderated not only clan forum.

You have people who deliberately troll, flame, such behaviour shouldn't be allowed.

What purpose serve the forum moderator when the topic maker has to play the police? Leave that job to the forum moderator, as they don't put much commitment at what they are doing.

The flame war is strong between the US and Pirates in the global chatt, and I have seen barely see any warnings. The only topic heavily moderated are the developpers forum, technical support or tribunal. 

I am all for that, and yet the SORRY clan recruitment thread has gone for 8 pages of nothing but propaganda and flaming that has no business being in that thread to begin with. What I'm getting at is that whoever is supposed to be moderating that forum section is sitting on their ass eating popcorn and not doing their job and it's rather worrisome. I've seen two other threads off the top of my head that are not recruitment threads but are a bypassing of the national news forum just so people are aware they're "declaring war" on somebody else.

• Like 1

If a clan uses it's clan recruitment thread to directly insult clans and lie about their feats, then it is perfectly acceptable for those involved to call them out on it.

If you don't like it, purge the cause, not the result.

• Like 5

stricter moderation?

c'mon, mate!

If there is a mortally boring (and police controlled) forum, it's for sure Naval action one!

I'd rather a more mature community or group of players than the one I'm witnessing right now.

If only we had Area chat like PotBS did. Less forum drama more ingame policing.

I'd rather a more mature community or group of players than the one I'm witnessing right now.

If only we had Area chat like PotBS did. Less forum drama more ingame policing.

Well, then let's assume for a moment that you are actually mature enough to tell if other people are mature or not.

In that case you should be mature enough also to ignore the posts of the idiots.

This is the very reason why I do not think a mature community memeber really needs to claim for any form of censorship.

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

The DEVS made it apparent they wanted these forums to help them in their development of this game. With their recent proposals of pulling the diplomacy part into the game and provide mechanics in future versions for it, instead of leaving it the metagame it is now, I find it more than reasonable for threads to be present on these forums.

Despite the sometime unconstructive tones of posting some people have, they give sure enough hints of what the expectations are of such political game mechanics. Therefore we should not make the mistake of turning moderation into censorship.

I am all for that, and yet the SORRY clan recruitment thread has gone for 8 pages of nothing but propaganda and flaming that has no business being in that thread to begin with. What I'm getting at is that whoever is supposed to be moderating that forum section is sitting on their ass eating popcorn and not doing their job and it's rather worrisome. I've seen two other threads off the top of my head that are not recruitment threads but are a bypassing of the national news forum just so people are aware they're "declaring war" on somebody else.

As you may have noticed from this morning's reopening of National News, those threads were left for a reason.  Besides, my popcorn was getting stale and my arse too sore from this hard seat.   :D

Moderation is conducted in response to user feedback.  Many users have indicated that they do not like the lack of political posts and the inability to engage with each other on a more, well, personal level.  It has been rightly pointed out that 18th century nations and their citizens regularly sparred with each other through broadsheets, newspapers, and the like.  In that spirit, with Admin's direction, we have been allowing users to be a little more free with each other in certain areas of the forums - namely National News and the Guilds forum.  Users are encouraged to utilize those boards to poke fun at each other and engage in light Forum PvP.  Direct personal insults should continue to use the Naval Action Insult Generator (http://wiredstar.com/NAInsults), and other rules must also be followed.  Additionally, decorum should be maintained as if you're writing for an 18th Century Newspaper.  Baby eating cowards - ok.  Raw profanity - F*** you you f***ing f***s, not ok.

Users who would prefer not to engage in forum PvP or who are easily insulted may want to hide the National News and Guild boards.   :)

We appreciate your feedback regarding our moderation.  Additional feedback here is welcome.

Have a great week, and good hunting.

• Like 6

If I didn't know how old most of us were who play this game, I would think it was full of tweeners whose skin is way too thin.  While I don't think any kind of IRL threats or open racism should be allowed on forums, why get so bent out of shape over someone gloating/calling you bad?

Are we so new to the internet to call for this blanket censorship because other people won't make all of their posts 'Great fight, guys!'  I personally don't think being a vile person is a great idea... but I also don't believe moderating out someone's comment because you don't think it fosters a good team spirit is the right call either.  

Some people are just so severely annoying you wish there were a way to relay just how much they annoy you.  Is this somehow different from real life?  These people aren't going anywhere but to shut down whole sections of a forum bc of it is, in my opinion, just as extreme.

Edited by F4ppinFr3nzy

No - This thread was not moderated cause the owner of the Thread didnt ask for it. And probably because Admins saw that it wasnt just from the others side.