Game-Labs Forum

Remove Random Fire.

I was under the impression if you use random chain shot fire on a trader's sails you'll get more hits compared with front or back fire mode.

But maybe I'm wrong.

random fire is useful when you need to hit someone at least with one shot

and sometimes during bow and stern shots when you are not sure which direction enemy will turn

Someone said that random mode fires the entire broadside quicker, is this true? Edited by Ronald Speirs

and sometimes during bow and stern shots when you are not sure which direction enemy will turn

I know that you have logged thousands of hours in-game, so you are as much as a player as any one of us. Tell me, how many times have you accidentally had random fire selected when you didn't need it? How many times have you actually used random fire in comparison to front/back? My guess is, that like most of us, you do not use it in comparison anywhere near as much as front/back. From my experience, even with a SOL's with more than 50 guns a side, your broadside fires quicker than the enemy can turn.

Edited by Stephen_Decatur

It feels like random fire mode fires the broadside faster, because the rolling broadside always has to wait for the gun before to fire, while in random, they fire as fast as they can. I don't use it a lot, but I don't see why it should be removed.

• Like 1

i would rather shot one at a time than waste my broadside

and I think I can predict my enemies move pretty good as well xD

But: if we can improve it by having a setup in option. Row front, back, and random. You tick on front and back, you will have only front and back in battle

Edited by Nash
  • Like 1

I agree with random fire approximating to 'full broadside'. Don't get rid of it, please.

As a suggestion (I have offered the idea of a higher effectiveness for the first broadside in any combat — because it is loaded with care and with less hurry — before), but a useful addition to the game would be an element of gunners' crew improvement with time. This could be reflected as a more closely coordinated full broadside or as a slightly higher destructive value to the broadside. It could (should?) be subject to penalty if the ship is lost or its crew is killed, but once again it should improve with crew experience in combat.

I would suggest making random mode fire the entire broadside in shorter time than the other modes. I have honestly never used it (not counting couple occasions where i left it on accidentally and wasted a broadside) and never seen any use or need for it as it is.