Game-Labs Forum

Hello everyone who loves sail ships and naval history. 

gallery_21559_327_45475.png

Sharing my curent project renders. Some fun modelling. 
Soft used: 3DsMax. 3Dcoat. Photo Shop. 

Will update new renders with curent progress, if you like. 
Waiting for comments, likes (or dislikes) and some advice.

gallery_21559_327_1305532.jpg

gallery_21559_327_350747.jpg

gallery_21559_327_379339.jpg

gallery_21559_327_842554.jpg

Edited by Raymond De Payence
  • Like 6

I dislike how so many nations went with the black with white gunports after the Napoleonic era. British, French, U.S. all adopted it I think. (Great model , too many polys for game use though). I really liked how you did the copper cladding.

Edited by Cragger

I dislike how so many nations went with the black with white gunports after the Napoleonic era. British, French, U.S. all adopted it I think. (Great model , too many polys for game use though). I really liked how you did the copper cladding.

Ye. Im also  like color sceme what was before. Something original with every ship in early ages.

Lots of polys yeah. But it was created like fun modeling, not for the game. And also adapted for turbosmoothing (like is on a edges view) for quality anim render in the future.

Copper cladding..my god...Fu...ng asspain. Want forget it like nightmare. It was created manuly each square path overlayed (PS) on coper texture with some oxyde handdrawing. Other ways I was not satisfied with results.  :)

Dang, all the polys.

Very odd that they split the channels up.

What do you mean?

I mean it looks like a very high quality model.

And the platforms that support the shrouds are set up in an unusual way. I'm guessing that the very high bulwarks prevented them from setting the channels below the gunports as usual.

I mean it looks like a very high quality model.

And the platforms that support the shrouds are set up in an unusual way. I'm guessing that the very high bulwarks prevented them from setting the channels below the gunports as usual.

Ya...was think about it to. Its kind a strange, but I used some references from here. So as I see it was historicly right. Dont know, maybe not.

gallery_21559_327_67535.png

gallery_21559_327_50160.jpg

gallery_21559_327_20784.jpg

Probably some one know how it was in real. Unfortunately I didnt find more info about it. But somewhere I read that the guy who made this drawings for magasine used historical drawings. 

nice, did you get all the planking and dirt on the bottom in through normal maps? or is it a displacement map.

Everything is Normal map. In general Normal was generated from corrected and filtered black and white Diffuse in Photoshop. Dirt was drawed in 3D coat. I tryed export and use Displacement also, but for now Im happy with Normal map. Its faster render time, and looks same from distances I need. 

yeah it looks great, so you painted in the planking with photoshop in black and white and later on converted these to a normal map? I quite like that, have to try it myself now :D

Could you perhaps show me the UV layout? Interested in how you unwrapped the hull.

Btw I've noticed your cannons are sitting very high in your gunport, they usually have to sit a little bit below the middle point of the gunport.

In the reference image you can clearly see the difference.

yeah it looks great, so you painted in the planking with photoshop in black and white and later on converted these to a normal map? I quite like that, have to try it myself now :D

Could you perhaps show me the UV layout? Interested in how you unwrapped the hull.

Btw I've noticed your cannons are sitting very high in your gunport, they usually have to sit a little bit below the middle point of the gunport.

In the reference image you can clearly see the difference.

Here is it.

gallery_21559_327_332173.jpg

1. I draw planking in Photoshop. Made it black and white, without paint colors, just same color wood texture everywhere, for that its generate same lavels on normal. For underwater part I made some few levels for make it more contrast in lines of plates. Played with Levels a bit. And use Photoshop Normal map generator. The final maps (diffuse on picture) was exported from 3DCoat, after I draw some dirt. Ill work on it a bit more maybe. To make it more raw and dirty.

Actualy Its not the best way I think I done. Will be happy if some one will make an advice how to make it easyer. Im started 3 times and finaly came for this variant. Problem is, min. resolution of map wich Im happy with is 8k. I was try to make it 16k but my hardware cannot handle that. Dont look on some weard parts of UV. I was F..UP with it. Any way this parts is on hiden geometry.  ;).

2. gun ports Yeah. Think its just becose guns are to big. But I leave it for now like this. It was very hard positioning of parts on the place of each one. Curved deck and bulwarks made it a bit crazy.

Are you making some project also? Can you show you pictures?

1820+15 years is absolute maximum range.

and 1841 is definately out of the timeframe. Giving in this one time may open pandoras box for the future.

But you ship, as astonishing as it looks. (and that I mean as I say it!)

Is not made for the game. So much polys wont make for good performance ingame.

Gorgous looking model, Raymond!

I perfer the tiling technique for UV mapping, though, you get a lot of detail with a simple 1024*1024 or 2048*2048 texture, even close-up. And you still have the option to bake it (in combi with a decal map) to a bigger texture like yours.

VMcjZyX.jpg

UV-map for the hull

z0PHQX7.jpg

Gorgous looking model, Raymond!

I perfer the tiling technique for UV mapping, though, you get a lot of detail with a simple 1024*1024 or 2048*2048 texture, even close-up. And you still have the option to bake it (in combi with a decal map) to a bigger texture like yours.

VMcjZyX.jpg

UV-map for the hull

z0PHQX7.jpg

Oh, man....Thank you.

Thats cool like you do. I think next time Ill do it same way for main pre-map. Realy easy way to do planking. But any way for free hand drawing (or smart mat) of dirt etc. in 3Dcoat, I think Ill ned huge map. And also of course I was must to work with UV more. To do horisontal edges stright. So it will be much less work to do. But Its done how its done. :) Amasing Panthere, man.

1820+15 years is absolute maximum range.

and 1841 is definately out of the timeframe. Giving in this one time may open pandoras box for the future.

But you ship, as astonishing as it looks. (and that I mean as I say it!)

Is not made for the game. So much polys wont make for good performance ingame.

Unfortunately it is out of range. But I find this great forum when download the game. Just few days. And was need an opinion and some advice.

And its not made for the game also, yes. It was started like a modeling exersise. And grown for the animation. In the future I hope. 

Hope this two reasons is not so big violation. And you dont punish me for that  :D.

Promise in next time model will be in time range, but dont promise to make it for the game. But If I can, I like to participate in game addition and improvement. Also like an artist and designer.

Im new here. Looking in the future friendship.

Thank You.