Game-Labs Forum

A challenge to you all.

Lord Ravenburg

My fellow Sailors,

I for one, regardless of my fierce loyalty for SOB and for the British in particular, would love to see a healthier server population. The fights we are getting from the Pirates are what we have been hoping for, regardless of which nation those pirates originated from. In an essence it is what we have all been hoping for, open sea combat with other players, and we have had our fill over the last few days. Ultimately it has unified the British more and more, those that sail the eastern seas that is.

I imagine if the players who quit had experienced some of this then we would probably see them sticking around. I cannot comment on what it must be like to be one or two port nations, limited allies and even fewer players to support you. But I can probably be right in saying if it were in reverse I would be making the best of my situation. Yes the arms race has been ongoing for some time, yes there have been major factions flip flopping from power to pauper. However the end goal is just this, open world, PVP and ports with actual ships in them.

Was it a good set of fights between the Pirates and Britain, yes most definitely. Would I like see this continue? Of course, ships sunk on both sides, relatively fair language between them, however I must admit, seeing base insults does drive me to distraction, tis a game gentlemen, we will all win and lose battles, but to sink and be sunk with honour and grace is what makes any MMO player fun to interact with.

So I make this challenge to you all, when a new player logs into the forum and sees personal attacks, do you think it is a game that they will want to play? Do you think it is something they will want to experience. I very much doubt it, we could be close to as vile as some of the larger scale games I have played, League and Dota among them. I would like to see new players actively getting involved without personal vendetta's, yes to be sure you will find your nemesis in this game, and words will be exchanged, but make those words topical to the events at hand, not an attack on a clan, a nation, simply belittling an entire player base will surely just see more and more players who cannot be bothered reading it over and over again to just leave. We want to talk mechanics, exploitation, zerging, nation bashing, and overall a game which has its problems, but welcome to Alpha gentlemen (and ladies). The devs have put together a game I could only dream of, battling in the age of sail in some of the ships I grew up around.

I have been sunk by and have sunk Pirates, Americans (I believe I was called a seal clubber...alas I was without it that day), the odd Frenchman, and a very sassy Spaniard who called me a...'cheeky fellow'. I have held no personal grudges, no name calling was spouted, each was thanked for their participation or we have let silence hold and our cannons did the talking.

The Moderators have put up locked topics around these observations, but I want to show them that there are players among us who completely agree. Be passionate and fierce, but in a manner that is both polite and constructive.

So rejoice, we play the age of sail, we mark ourselves as gentlemen (yes even you, I am looking at you pirates, there is nothing more romantic then a gentleman pirate.) So let us conduct ourselves accordingly.

My thoughts and musings,

Yours,

Ravenburg (PVP2, Britain)

• Like 20

I completely agree with you 100 percent. Great post and indeed it had been glorious battling with you gentlemen over the past few days. The constant spewing of insults certainly does detract from the fun. Oh what great fun it was. Besides, we rwally just wanted to PvP. Cheers!

-Shifty

Gentleman, Lover, Pirate

• Like 2

I've been hunting pirates in the Bahamas of late. (It was the British by Panama a few weeks ago.)

What I've constantly seen is that a bit of politeness goes a long way, if you're attacking, or being attacked. Because inevitability, the shoe will be on the other foot.

For me? I start every person I attack with, "This is the United States Ship Flintlock. Heave to, and prepare to show your papers." Hopefully it sets the right tone.

• Like 2

I've been hunting pirates in the Bahamas of late. (It was the British by Panama a few weeks ago.)

What I've constantly seen is that a bit of politeness goes a long way, if you're attacking, or being attacked. Because inevitability, the shoe will be on the other foot.

For me? I start every person I attack with, "This is the United States Ship Flintlock. Heave to, and prepare to show your papers." Hopefully it sets the right tone.

In France, it would be.

"Hello, just a routin control. Could I see your paper?"

Add the horrible French accent and you have it.

Personatly I think I'll use this.

"Heya, Paper please?"

I'd also ask that we refrain from hypocrisy.

There is no hypocrisy here, I have made it firm that I speak for myself. I have yet to disrespect you or your opinions on the matter.

What other players do is not in my control. I am making my position known, no more no less. People can either agree and we can start seeing some positivity creep back into this forum or we can be damned to the eternal eye for an eye.

A good day to you,

Regards,

Ravenburg.

Edited by Lord Ravenburg
  • Like 1

There is no hypocrisy here, I have made it firm that I speak for myself. I have yet to disrespect you or your opinions on the matter.

What other players do is not in my control. I am making my position known, no more no less. People can either agree and we can start seeing some positivity creep back into this forum or we can be damned to the eternal eye for an eye.

A good day to you,

Regards,

Ravenburg.

Most personal attacks on the forums (that I have seen) have come from a couple of SOB members, Roberts and Schancy particularly.  I think that is why the post above hinted at "hypocrisy".  I agree with the OP, should be "GF" after battles win or lose, but I've encountered a fair number of people that take it too far.  

• Like 1

I always forget to GF! as the last few 1v1's I've had I thought I was the one who was sunk and then the other ships sails furled!!!!  OMG ENDBATTLEENDBATTLEENDBAT..  Victory Screen.  *shew*  Remembers the GF...  DAMMIT.

But yeah, civility would be nice but I've been on the internet far too long to expect it.  Is there an ignore/block feature like in game for the forums?

Edited by kovah
  • Like 1

Most personal attacks on the forums (that I have seen) have come from a couple of SOB members, Roberts and Schancy particularly.  I think that is why the post above hinted at "hypocrisy".  I agree with the OP, should be "GF" after battles win or lose, but I've encountered a fair number of people that take it too far.  

Spchancey is not SOB and for my self... well what can I say, I enjoy a little bit of entertainment. I have also come across a lot of pirates and other nations that take it too far, further than myself sometimes so both sides are not saints and should not think themselves saints.

Edited by Lord Roberts
  • Like 1

So I make this challenge to you all, when a new player logs into the forum and sees personal attacks, do you think it is a game that they will want to play?

The kinds of players we need here? They would probably enjoy seeing the forum sparring because it looks like a healthy game with some real rivalries.

The kind of player who shies away from rivalries probably won't last long in this game. You know the type I'm talking about? The type that come into sandbox PvP games and expect gentleman's fisticuffs. They will quit over any number of "unfair" setups (I once had someone accuse me of cheating because I was chainshotting their sails...they didn't think that was a very fair way to fight). Anyone that would quit over forum words is someone that's destined to quit anyway. Saving them is a waste of time.

I'm not saying we should greenlight everything and turn into 4chan; it would be lovely if Lord Roberts could come across as something other than a very angry teenager on his 5th can of energy drink, but a little personal forum rivalry looks like a healthy PvP game to me.

Show me a PvP game where there is no forum rivalry and I will show you a PvP game that has installed so much padding that their players don't even care who wins. That's a game that's not going to last. It's boring.

Naval Action has a very healthy sense of PvP. The only thing really hurting this game is the "must be this high rank to enter" barrier to new players and the horrifying amount of bot farming required to join the fun stuff.

• Like 4

The kinds of players we need here? They would probably enjoy seeing the forum sparring because it looks like a healthy game with some real rivalries.

The kind of player who shies away from rivalries probably won't last long in this game. You know the type I'm talking about? The type that come into sandbox PvP games and expect gentleman's fisticuffs. They will quit over any number of "unfair" setups (I once had someone accuse me of cheating because I was chainshotting their sails...they didn't think that was a very fair way to fight). Anyone that would quit over forum words is someone that's destined to quit anyway. Saving them is a waste of time.

I'm not saying we should greenlight everything and turn into 4chan; it would be lovely if Lord Roberts could come across as something other than a very angry teenager on his 5th can of energy drink, but a little personal forum rivalry looks like a healthy PvP game to me.

Show me a PvP game where there is no forum rivalry and I will show you a PvP game that has installed so much padding that their players don't even care who wins. That's a game that's not going to last. It's boring.

Naval Action has a very healthy sense of PvP. The only thing really hurting this game is the "must be this high rank to enter" barrier to new players and the horrifying amount of bot farming required to join the fun stuff.

If people are getting mad and upset at what I am saying then I am doing my job right, anger blinds people and causes people to make mistakes.

I want people to hate me, I want them to hunt me every single day, I create PVP because people want to sink me.

oh and I'm on my 10th can of Monster Energy, shit is like cocaine.

Edited by Lord Roberts
  • Like 1

Absolutely! I agree with you wholeheartedly, if you can't take a knock, this is probably not the game for you. I am just stating for my own opinion, vile base personal insults are probably not the best thing in the world for a healthy community. Regardless of rivalries.

Using the mechanics in game, used to their actual effect I am all in favor of. You chain my sail...imma go reaaall slow.

So yes, I see both sides of the coin, my post was my feeling, my opinions, and I thank you for your input. 

Regards,

Ravenburg.

Why don't you come over to PVP1 after the wipe and make one healthy server?

Whilst there is merit with all banding together on one server, I hope I do speak for many of my fellow Australians, it is sadly just not possible given the ping issues from Oceania to Europe

My fellow Sailors,

I wholeheartedly agree with you sir, the battles we've fought have been bloody fun and have made me want to keep playing the game more. I do think that we need to just step back every so often and realise that yes, you may have lost a valuable ship but reverting to vile insults just makes everything worse. 

All in all, rivalries are good; they motivate people to do better and fight their perceived rivals, however Slamz is completely right - A PvP game without rivalry will be boring beyond comparison. I implore my fellow captains to be gracious in defeat, and humble in victory to help rebuild our server back to over 1000 players a night.  

If people are getting mad and upset at what I am saying then I am doing my job right, anger blinds people and causes people to make mistakes.

I want people to hate me, I want them to hunt me every single day, I create PVP because people want to sink me.

You have bumped your head. Nothing that happens on this board ever impacts what happens in game. To most people you are just another red ink blot.

People hate you in the game because you are an ass in the game. On this board you are just another angry kid.

By the way only 12 Pirates went French.

• Like 1

By make mistakes, do you mean losing your Victory and then claiming it as an intended win?  Cause that's what I'm seeing on the forums as of late.  People do hate you, but that does not affect performance in battles.  The sad thing is the large amount of Brits re-rolling to other nations.  When asked why they re-roll, they all respond with "Roberts."  Your attitude is making enemies of your allies, not causing your enemies to make mistakes.  

• Like 2

By make mistakes, do you mean losing your Victory and then claiming it as an intended win?  Cause that's what I'm seeing on the forums as of late.  People do hate you, but that does not affect performance in battles.  The sad thing is the large amount of Brits re-rolling to other nations.  When asked why they re-roll, they all respond with "Roberts."  Your attitude is making enemies of your allies, not causing your enemies to make mistakes.  

He's doing a good job of making his allies get angry and make mistakes :) Heck, maybe Roberts has been a french spy all along........

• Like 1

He's doing a good job of making his allies get angry and make mistakes :) Heck, maybe Roberts has been a french spy all along........

French took OMG in, so while obviously very low, they do have some standards.

• Like 1

Funny how my allies on british side have won near all their battles with the pirates in the past 3-4 days, not seeing any mistakes there

You have bumped your head. Nothing that happens on this board ever impacts what happens in game. To most people you are just another red ink blot.

People hate you in the game because you are an ass in the game. On this board you are just another angry kid.

By the way only 12 Pirates went French.

That is simply not true, I have had pirate raiding parties come down to haiti to look for me, that means I am doing something right on the forums and in game, and with you all responding the way you are clearly shows that also, you guys say you hate me and say others do to, I said i wanted to be hated so I fulfilled my goal. 

Funny how my allies on british side have won near all their battles with the pirates in the past 3-4 days, not seeing any mistakes there

That is simply not true, I have had pirate raiding parties come down to haiti to look for me, that means I am doing something right on the forums and in game, and with you all responding the way you are clearly shows that also, you guys say you hate me and say others do to, I said i wanted to be hated so I fulfilled my goal.

Well, keep on doing you then. We'll keep on doing what we do.

My fellow Sailors,

I for one, regardless of my fierce loyalty for SOB and for the British in particular, would love to see a healthier server population. The fights we are getting from the Pirates are what we have been hoping for, regardless of which nation those pirates originated from. In an essence it is what we have all been hoping for, open sea combat with other players, and we have had our fill over the last few days. Ultimately it has unified the British more and more, those that sail the eastern seas that is.

I imagine if the players who quit had experienced some of this then we would probably see them sticking around. I cannot comment on what it must be like to be one or two port nations, limited allies and even fewer players to support you. But I can probably be right in saying if it were in reverse I would be making the best of my situation. Yes the arms race has been ongoing for some time, yes there have been major factions flip flopping from power to pauper. However the end goal is just this, open world, PVP and ports with actual ships in them.

Was it a good set of fights between the Pirates and Britain, yes most definitely. Would I like see this continue? Of course, ships sunk on both sides, relatively fair language between them, however I must admit, seeing base insults does drive me to distraction, tis a game gentlemen, we will all win and lose battles, but to sink and be sunk with honour and grace is what makes any MMO player fun to interact with.

So I make this challenge to you all, when a new player logs into the forum and sees personal attacks, do you think it is a game that they will want to play? Do you think it is something they will want to experience. I very much doubt it, we could be close to as vile as some of the larger scale games I have played, League and Dota among them. I would like to see new players actively getting involved without personal vendetta's, yes to be sure you will find your nemesis in this game, and words will be exchanged, but make those words topical to the events at hand, not an attack on a clan, a nation, simply belittling an entire player base will surely just see more and more players who cannot be bothered reading it over and over again to just leave. We want to talk mechanics, exploitation, zerging, nation bashing, and overall a game which has its problems, but welcome to Alpha gentlemen (and ladies). The devs have put together a game I could only dream of, battling in the age of sail in some of the ships I grew up around.

I have been sunk by and have sunk Pirates, Americans (I believe I was called a seal clubber...alas I was without it that day), the odd Frenchman, and a very sassy Spaniard who called me a...'cheeky fellow'. I have held no personal grudges, no name calling was spouted, each was thanked for their participation or we have let silence hold and our cannons did the talking.

The Moderators have put up locked topics around these observations, but I want to show them that there are players among us who completely agree. Be passionate and fierce, but in a manner that is both polite and constructive.

So rejoice, we play the age of sail, we mark ourselves as gentlemen (yes even you, I am looking at you pirates, there is nothing more romantic then a gentleman pirate.) So let us conduct ourselves accordingly.

My thoughts and musings,

Yours,

Ravenburg (PVP2, Britain)

Ravenburg,

I can generally get behind your sentiment, here. Some of the smack talk gets out of hand. As a rule- I try to keep it light hearted. I do however, tend to meet tone with tone. If we want to remain reasonable, then by all means- we can keep it reasonable. Looking forward to seeing you in the fight at some point. You seem like an alright guy.

• Like 3

I find you making this statement hilarious considering this is how you lost your victory and after you lost it, you sent me hate mail for the next few days. I would link screenshots but you would report it and my post would get deleted (again) because you can't handle someone showing people that you are a joke. The reality of the matter is that it doesn't matter because everyone already knows it.  :)

On another note, I'd like to point out the glaring hypocrisy of the OP considering the majority of the shit talking is caused, and perpetuated by SOB members posting things on the forums that are heavily censored and manipulated to make themselves look good.

Edited by snackbar
  • Like 1

I find you making this statement hilarious considering this is how you lost your victory and after you lost it, you sent me hate mail for the next few days. I would link screenshots but you would report it and my post would get deleted (again) because you can't handle someone actually exposing you for the 12 year old that you are.  :)

Also, we never went into Haiti looking for you, we couldn't care less about you. We just wanted to sink some brits. With that said the opportunity presented itself so we were sure to take full advantage.

On another note, I'd like to point out the glaring hypocrisy of the OP considering the majority of the shit talking is caused, and perpetuated by SOB members posting things on the forums that are heavily censored and manipulated to make themselves look good. 

Switch that 1 and 2 and you got the right number and your post got deleted? haha did not know that xD what one was it?

But dude I am the way I am because it is fun, don't take me too seriously :)