Game-Labs Forum

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Very good.

Suggestion: add also crew numbers to each of batteries by weight and type ( L,M,C )

Salute.

And thanks for this suggestion, I will certainly add a graph over this. I'm thinking about also adding a graph illustrating how many men are required per broadside for the different ships based on different loadouts. May have to stay up late tonight with another big pot of tea! :)

Edited by Will Collister
  • Like 1

Excellent work!   From the Sea Trials data, we did this graph which I think distills the loadout vs. DPS well.   Of course, there are upgrade and crew factors now, but as a baseline...  I'd be happy to help you generate one like it.

Thanks - but wow! That really is an extraordinarily well made chart! Very neatly compiled to show three axes; DPS, Broadsides and Armament on the same graph. Which program did you use to create this? 

excellent work, good Sir! This is a must-read for every beginner. From now on we might safely link the poor sailors lost in the sea of Cluelessness into your safe haven ;)

I'd still love to have a Dev clarify the penetration issue once and for all. The data is still rather based on empiric conclusions than hard facts.

(P.S. There's a minor data swap mishap with longs crew number's in the spreadsheet in chapter "recap and comparison")

Edited by Mr. Starbuck
  • Like 1

excellent work, good Sir! This is a must-read for every beginner. From now on we might safely link the poor sailors lost in the sea of Cluelessness into your safe haven ;)

I'd still love to have a Dev clarify the penetration issue once and for all. The data is still rather based on empiric conclusions than hard facts.

(P.S. There's a minor data swap mishap with longs crew number's in the spreadsheet in chapter "recap and comparison")

Thanks for the kind words! :) I hope it might help some new Captains out there - it sure is the kind of info I would have liked when starting out! :)

Have fixed the data error - thanks for pointing that out! 

fwiw, those penetration values are pretty old. Your guide inspired this thread

Yes, like Starbuck also mentions, it would be nice to get some clarity on this, but I imagine the devs are deliberately maintaining some degree of secrecy to keep metagaming contained somewhat. I'm actually okay with that, in a way, it just makes it even more interesting to gather loads of data and try and work out what's going on! :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't remember if it has been mention, here a interesting extra information. In the british mesure system, the caliber of a cannon is based on the weight of one spherical ball that have the same diameter then the cannon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome Job. I have been wondering about many things with regards to the differences between Cannon Damage and Penetration. You have done a great job here, and I am sure it will benefit many individuals. 

Edited by Hawk_345
  • Like 1

Excellent work Will...I'm sure this will be appreciated by many.  One small suggestion, as you have meant this for a broad audience You might define any acronyms (like DPS...Damage Per Second) the first time they are used.   Thanks again for your contribution...  :D

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/15/2016 at 3:37 AM, Will Collister said:

Ahoy,

Here is a link to my Gun Guide. I do my best to keep it up to date and continually updated with correct information. Hope it can help some of you somewhat. 

Fair winds!

It looks detailed and extensive regarding guns. Does it cover the basic and immediate question of how to bring guns to bear appropriately on a target - i.e.  how to "aim" the cannon at  particular target in game, such as for hull, rigging, going for masts, etc.?  Whether elevation is automatically adjusted by the crew by type of shot, distance and target size, or all manual? Thanks.