Game-Labs Forum

Abuse of flag mechanics 2 - decision needed

Regarding this post

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11729-abuse-of-flag-mechanics-to-block-assault-on-port/

British player Neverdie gave the player heyhey money to buy the flag

HeyHey owner bought the flag and deleted the player.

We believe this is a community issue. Please propose the punishment for the players/steam accounts involved.

Extra points for clan leaders/national leaders proposals. 

Thank you moderators for bringing our attention to this topic during patch crunch :)

• Like 8

Make him permanent Pirate with no xp or gold (Wipe everything his account got). Give him no other option in new player creation menu for 3 months. 

You must use no mercy with this case. Else you will see more people abusing it. Do not ban him from the game, but make him slave for XP again as Pirate. 

• Like 6

It was an explout that they figured out and did not report. Instead, they opted to exploit it.

People who exploit once, I think, will do it again if given the opportunity. Who knows how many times they will do it before being caught again?

Such players are toxic to the community. My opinion? Permanent IP ban for all involved, wherever the logs lead.

• Like 10

Issue a community-wide warning, Ban the offender for a week and give harsher punishments for offenders in the future since this is a first timer.

Make it so only clan members and players of high enough rank (Rank 3/4 for shallows and 7/8 for deep water ports) can purchase conquest flags.

Edited by Conde
  • Like 2

Keep in mind what punishment you set here will set precedent for future action based on this....So with that in mind.   Midshipman ranks shouldn't be able to buy flag in my opinion...Flags should only be able to be bought at a certain rank.

For the person who did this well the alt account should be either banned for a while and/or disabled from buying any flags.  and the money traced if possible and that account should be temporally banned.

after the punishment is decided all future action that are like this should be consistent.

Edited by Capt. Rice
  • Like 9

"HeyHey" should be banned, it is clearly an alt account for the sole purpose of mechanic abuse.

His main account should be reset, he could have reported the idea and didn't. This punishment is then in line with the previous issue that got raised of mechanic abuse (XP farming).

"Neverdie" is also a midshipman and clearly a setup account which should also be banned.

He may have given the money but he clearly got it from somewhere else. Trace that line down, as more people are clearly involved.

More importantly a fix needs to be developed to counter this. Personally I think the entire flag system is flawed but I appreciate that is a big ask for a quick fix. Place a rank limit on the flag purchase (>Lt Commander for Deep Ports as thats when you can full crew the smallest ship that can get in them) would be a quick and dirty but not particularly long term solution that resolves this for now.

• Like 9

Issue a community-wide warning, Ban the offender for a week and give harsher punishments for offenders in the future since this is a first timer.

Yes, issue a sternly-worded letter. Ugh.

Edited by Vernon Merrill

The people involving in this action should get their accounts banned (atleast temporary).

For now set up a system as other have propsed that you need to be a certain rank to be able to buy a flag (we still have the possibility that players which are above that rank can delete their character and then buy the flag) or have it so you have to be above a certain rank AND have played in that faction for a certain time (1-2 weeks?).

• Like 1

Not much point punishing the alts. But if the money trail can't followed back to a real character, then ban both alt accounts. At least the perpetrator will lose $40-$80 for the alt accounts. I don't know if this is a bannable offense for the main account. But wrongdoers that require chasing and don't turn themselves in get dealt with more harshly.

• Like 1

Ban the accounts of HeyHey and Neverdie, they may have bought into this game but have demonstrated through their actions that they have little to no interest in it's development.

Where Neverdie got that money from should also be traced down, since they are only midshipman and a recently added character. There is a clearly a line of involved people here, see where Neverdie got the money from. It would interesting at least to see which main character was behind this, and whether or not this type of action might be attempted in someway elsewhere.

An interesting punishment would be public... what if, a new class of players were coded in? If PlayerIP=PublicShame, Enemy Player spwns with Bismarck. PlayerIP would be assigned PublicShame group for X days.

Essentially, if they get in a fight, and an enemy player joins in, that player spawns with the Bismarck. Would certainly be an interesting way to use the model, and it would be a shame to let it go to waste...

Such a bloodthirsty crowd... roleplaying much?

If your only idea is punishment it surely will happen again. Few people read the rules, few people read this thread and very few online players nurture a sense of honor.

Pour you energy into suggestions about mechanics tweaking to make such exploits unlikely and few. These guys pointed out a vulnerability in the system, they employed the "complete asshole" method, but still...

• Like 3

Hello,

I am the leader of KotO and one of the leaders of the Pirate Coalition. 

I have discussed this with our players and we would like to suggest the following -

As this is the 'first' case of this happening (As far as I know) and there has yet to be an 'official' ruling on it being against the rules then I would suggest lenient action against the players. 

You should state very clearly that this and any other version of flag abuse (Defined) is strictly against the rules. 

If it is broken again in the future after this warning has gone out, the player who bought the flag should be vac banned.

• Like 8

Alternately, these are the type of people that NOBODY wants in their sandbox. I would feel the same way if it was someone even in the clan I'm in. Clearly this person has no interest in being someone who ever plays by the rules.

• Like 2

Well will be hard to follow the ip all the way but possible question if its worth it.

Add this to the rule set and in the future deal with this in the same way as exp exploits hard reset of accounts that are responsible for it.

• Like 1

Given we, as community, do not know exactly what is easier to do or expends the less time with the most effect I suggest that they are simply stripped of their rank and all assets and exiled to a PvE server until the Land Sighted update arrives.

As a bonus, if there is time in your schedule to do it, find any associated accounts and proceed in the same measure.

...these are the type of people that NOBODY wants in their sandbox..... Clearly this person has no interest in being someone who ever plays by the rules.

Oh, dear!

No need to go all Minority Report on his ass.