Game-Labs Forum

Resolving the Conflict between Casual and Hard Core Players

This is an amazing game, even in the alpha stage.  However, there is a conflict between the desires of the casual players and the long-term, hard core players.

One of the attractive things about this game is the opportunity to sail a ship of the line into battle.  Everyone, including the casual players, wants to do this.  

For a casual player, that just spent $40 on a game, it doesn't seem fair that in order to sail a Victory or Santissima Trinidad, you need to spend hundreds of hours online, saving and slaving to earn this ship.

On the other hand, the long-term player doesn't want it to be so easy to obtain a ship of the line that everyone has them.  To the long-term, more serious player, captaining a ship like the Victory is something that should be earned.

How to reconcile these opposing desires?   I suggest expanding and changing the current PVP battle instance missions.  

Currently, when in port, you have the option of entering a small battle or large battle.  Why not make this "Arena" combat it's own game, separate from the Open World?   

Don't tie gold and XP earned in the Arena to the Open World.  XP earned in the Arena would simply mean that you could use bigger Arena ships, and the progression would be very generous, so even a casual player would be able to sail a Victory or Santissima in the Arena without dedicating their life to the game.   Arena gold would be used to purchase upgrades solely for use on your Arena ships.  Arena ships would be used only in the Arena, and could not be sailed in the Open World.    

Having a separate PVP Arena would allow casual players to enjoy sailing the bigger ships, and keeping Arena XP and gold separate from Open World XP and gold means that the generous rewards in the Arena would not ruin the balance in the Open World.

For some added excitement in the Arena, keep track of Arena rankings, so players would know who was tops in Arena PVP.  

For even more Arena excitement, allow teams to wager Open World gold on the outcome of Arena team battles (with a 20% cut for the house.)   I could see clans betting millions in gold on the outcome of clan vs clan Arena battles.  

This proposal would go a long way to satisfying the desires of casual players, while preserving the Open World experience.  In addition, it would add a whole new competitive dimension to the game.  

Edited by ssssnake529
  • Like 4

No, I believe the open world is already a bit empty, we don't need to divide the game into two different games.

Casual players who want to captain a ship of the line have to earn that right I'm afraid. But honestly,crewing a cerberus and making a line with teammates is close enough to the feel of "line battles", you don't need to be in a victory for that.

• Like 1

who cares about casual players, if you not have time for play an mmo dont play mmo the game not gonna bend to your needs

This could be terrific ironical satire about self appointed and abrasive "hard-core" players. Say it is so...

Duel instances without loss is a good idea. I wish I could open now the game and hit "enter in duel mode" button, select my favourite frigate and throw the glove to jodgi in the opposite side and teach him some good spanish hard words for say when his ship is sinking in flames...

• Like 2

"Casual" players can be long-term players too.

As a "casual" player myself, I dont mind if it takes long to reach certain things in a game. I am used to it.

Problematic are session times or interruptions , which can gate a "casual" player from certain content.

NA is a bit on the problematic side of things, thats why I play on PvE server.

In "free-to-play" and "subscription" games, "casual" players are the cash cow. They tend to spend more money compared to the "hard-core" players with high session times.

I dont know how this is for B2P games.

Again, "casual" doesnt necessary mean short-time player.

Sure the devs can make an arena game with sailing ships like WoT or AW, but this would be a different game.

Currently I like the option to jump into a PvP-small battle to have some fun, but the draw for me to the game is the open world and the things that will hopefully come, like missions, crafting, production and exploration aso.

In a pure arena "shooter" that will be missing.

I would just add a sandbox part, where you could choose a ship that is ingame. Arm it with whatever you want, so you kinda get a feel for a ship before buying one or just so you have at least once fired a full broadside from a victory or a santissima. Can't add upgrades, just empty sea no land nobody else, maybe some AI targets or something you could do on demand. It would kinda keep people motivated to play the game until they can finaly get that ship they want.

I would love this, so you could test some tactics you wouldn't try when in a bought ship because you wouldn't want to lose durability.

The joys of a nobody thinking he's somebody due to no life outside of gaming.

Yeah i have a miserable real life game, so i enjoy harvesting your tears in this game, still  if you not have time dont play mmo, mmo are not made for ppl  who have low amount of time, is the nature of this kind of games, so complain is ridiculous

Yeah i have a miserable real life game, so i enjoy harvesting your tears in this game, still  if you not have time dont play mmo, mmo are not made for ppl  who have low amount of time, is the nature of this kind of games, so complain is ridiculous

Don't be harsh now, the only people missing out on good fun are the people not playing this game...

Like most things in life the more time and effort you put into something the quicker you get the results... I personally don't see that as a problem... I don't have much time play NA just like don't have much time to play my guitar... I don't expect to be sailing around in HMS Victory anytime soon anymore then I expect to be able to play my guitar like Jimi Hendrix anytime soon... doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing my guitar or enjoy playing NA.

The things we desire most are often the hardest things to get, when giving these desirable things for free they soon lose their desirability... You give everyone HMS Victory and we'll soon all get bored of large HMS Victory battles pretty quick because the HMS Victory is no longer special and large battles are the norm.

The goal is to make "the grind" as interesting and entertaining as possible without watering down the achievement.  Because that feeling of achievement is what gaming is all about.

Edited by ArcadeHex